Author Topic: Were to buy 2114L ram??  (Read 5996 times)

Offline The SoulmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
Re: Were to buy 2114L ram??
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 05:27:57 pm »
Soulman,
Did you ever order those chips from E-Bay?

No, seller only accepts paypal that I don't have.

Offline granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 01:48:34 am »
Ok, well I do have PayPal, and have ordered several of the 2114N chips (mine were in considerably worse than terrible shape - I threw them out.) Expected delivery is between 2 Jun and ~30 Jun. How many do you need?

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 08:01:54 pm »
Well if you have the space you can whack in almost any kind of SRAM chip, just tie the unused pins. ...
Theoretically that would work; the trouble is that it would be wildly impractical. The 2114 is only 4 bits wide, and so you would have to create a daughter board with pins which perfectly line up with both of the 2114 chips, and then run the address, power and control lines to both chips, while running half of the data lines to each chip separately. That also assumes that there is, as you mentioned, enough room inside the meter's case for the additional board, and the new RAM chip.

You mean "perfectly practical", you just described the task, it's hardly nuclear fusion. And given the pricing of PCBs, it would end up cheaper than a NOS 2114.

Yeah, but why design it when you can buy it for 4 dollars on ebay?  :-DD

Interesting interpretation of the word "if".  :-// I didn't say "when", you did that.  :-//

If something akin to this existed for your situation, and it was cheap enough

http://www.dasarodesigns.com/product/mps-6550-commodore-pet-2001-ram-adapter/

wouldn't you buy it instead of arguing with defeatists?

In any case, it's far better to wait for replacement ICs if you don't happen to have a SRAM to play with.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 10:05:11 am »
Ok, well I do have PayPal, and have ordered several of the 2114N chips (mine were in considerably worse than terrible shape - I threw them out.) Expected delivery is between 2 Jun and ~30 Jun. How many do you need?

Just need two,
I've also found a seller on ali express that sells five for just a few euro's including shipping, altough
it will take at least a month before its here I will try that first, as I'm afraid shipping cost from the USA
are prohibitively high.

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2020, 10:10:50 am »
Well if you have the space you can whack in almost any kind of SRAM chip, just tie the unused pins. ...
Theoretically that would work; the trouble is that it would be wildly impractical. The 2114 is only 4 bits wide, and so you would have to create a daughter board with pins which perfectly line up with both of the 2114 chips, and then run the address, power and control lines to both chips, while running half of the data lines to each chip separately. That also assumes that there is, as you mentioned, enough room inside the meter's case for the additional board, and the new RAM chip.

You mean "perfectly practical", you just described the task, it's hardly nuclear fusion. And given the pricing of PCBs, it would end up cheaper than a NOS 2114.

Yeah, but why design it when you can buy it for 4 dollars on ebay?  :-DD

Interesting interpretation of the word "if".  :-// I didn't say "when", you did that.  :-//

If something akin to this existed for your situation, and it was cheap enough

http://www.dasarodesigns.com/product/mps-6550-commodore-pet-2001-ram-adapter/

wouldn't you buy it instead of arguing with defeatists?

In any case, it's far better to wait for replacement ICs if you don't happen to have a SRAM to play with.

Didn't want to be rude, yeah a (diy) adapter board is still a option when 2114 supplies dries up but that doesn't seem
to be the case at the moment.

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 11:03:54 pm »
@soulman
I still have a few 2114L 's in my parts bin. New, unused.
PM me if you're interested.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:07:04 pm by markce »

The following users thanked this post: The Soulman

Offline sarahMCML

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2020, 06:13:25 pm »
Hi,

I've just come across 4 OKI MSM2114LRS which you are more than welcome to have, gratis. Just priv-mail me your address and I'll drop them in the post to you tomorrow.
I don't know their age or status, but they look unused. I was trying to find a tube that I purchased back in the late 1970's/ early 80's, and which I should still have, but I cannot find them after about 5 moves, sadly. Else I would have offered some that I know are unused!
Just let me know if you still want them.

Regards,

Sarah.

The following users thanked this post: The Soulman

Offline granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »
Soulman,

Four chips are on their way.
See PM for US Postal Service tracking number.
They did not give me any estimated time of arrival.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf