Author Topic: Altair 8800 lookalike operator panel?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline MathematicalJTopic starter

• Contributor
Altair 8800 lookalike operator panel?
« on: October 08, 2020, 04:06:42 pm »
I happened across this eBay listing (not mine) for an industrial operator panel, and it looks extremely similar to the Altair 8800 front panel. I assume this kind of panel interface was common in the '70s? What other well-known machines have this same interface?

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Altair 8800 lookalike operator panel?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 06:15:42 pm »
I happened across this eBay listing (not mine) for an industrial operator panel, and it looks extremely similar to the Altair 8800 front panel. I assume this kind of panel interface was common in the '70s? What other well-known machines have this same interface?

Take a look at the Altair 8800 front panel: [courtesy of https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_334396]

Not sure why you would call that "extremely similar". Having address and data bus indicators and toggles (what I would loosely call them) on a front panel was not uncommon in an earlier time. I remember having to toggle in reboot code on PDP/8E, it was not a pleasant memory  :)
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Altair 8800 lookalike operator panel?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 06:55:57 pm »

A panel with some lights and switches, that's where the similarity ends! $368!  The seller has been doing to many drugs!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf