Author Topic: Flir E40 vs E40BX differences?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline calelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Flir E40 vs E40BX differences?
« on: September 16, 2020, 11:02:32 pm »
google was of no help & Flir site either (both models discontinued btw)

found a 2nd hand e40bx

but is it same as e40? (same core?)

what's the main differences between the 2?
all the differences, for that matter

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E40 vs E40BX differences?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:32:20 am »
Calel,

You need to improve your Google search skills  ;)

I searched on "FLIR E40 PDF" and "FLIR E40bx PDF" and found the attached sales brochures in seconds

I will leave it to you to compare specifications, but basically it is a difference in temperature measurement range. The "E40bx" was intended to be used for building thermography and was a little bit cheaper than the E40.

And before you ask, yes the E40bx can be upgraded to the E60bx specification and beyond. The temperature range restriction remains however. There is a way to access the temperature range settings using the service menu found on Mk1 models but not on the Mk2. The Mk2 Exx series cameras have MSX capability but the service menu was deleted from their firmware build.

There is no guarantee that a particular E40bx camera will have the required calibration tables in it to enable a greater temperature measurement range, even if enabled in the Service menu.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:05:45 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:36:55 am »
E40bx datasheets......
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:47:57 am by Fraser »

Offline calelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:37:35 am »
and I thought I was google savvy
much to learn I still have

anyway thx for the info

so same core? (they dont mention cores in the tech sheets)

and I reckon those calibration tables you speak of, are hardware-encoded? (can't be changed by a firmware update?)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:39:33 am by calel »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 02:41:03 am »
Nope, they are created by the cameras Factory calibration routine that also resides in the Service Menu, but you need suitable BlackBody calibration sources to carry out the calibration.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:55:57 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 03:02:16 am »
For info.

The E40 has two temperature ranges covering -20C to +120C and +120C to +650C, a total measurement capability of -20C to +650C.

The E40bx has one temperature range covering -20C to +120C. Range two is not enabled.

Range two can be enabled via the service menu but some users have found that this only adds +120C to +350C to the camera.
Others have found that the Range two calibration table has not been created so Range two is useless. From memory I do not think anyone has achieved -20C to +650C coverage on an E40bx model. I could be wrong about that however.

Fraser

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 12:20:42 am »
The E40 can be extended to Range 3 with max of 1200°C via service menu also. I enabled the extension so the option is selectable in the menu on mine but haven't been able to calibrate it. It does make higher temperature stuff more visible though - when viewing something at very high temperature on the max 650°C screen, if the object is above the scale it will be washed out and lost in the high end of the scale, switching to the 1200°C option lets me see detail, but of course the temperature numbers can't be used. Not sure how they calibrate that range - most things at that temperature would be more of a white body!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:56:34 am by eKretz »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 12:14:37 pm »
eKretz,

You need a high temperature cavity Blackbody to calibrate the higher temperature ranges for best accuracy.

I now own two such high temperature Blackbodies for that reason. Both are capable of >1000C  8)

Of course the cameras internal calibration routine must also be present to carry out the range calibration.

It is also possible to make Direct viewing high temperature filament temperature sources using NiCr wire and an adjustable power supply. The filament is temperature profiled for emissivity and emitted radiance using an accurate IR spot thermometer and a Current to Celcius graph produced. Definitely a DIY possibility but I prefer cavity sources built by people who know what they are doing at such high temperatures.

An interesting mathematical look at NiCr wire :)

http://www.brysonics.com/heating-a-nichrome-wire-with-math/

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:13:21 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: eKretz

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 04:39:37 pm »
Not sure how they calibrate that range - most things at that temperature would be more of a white body!

As well as the sources that Fraser has mentioned, higher temperatures can simply be calculated if a ~10% accuracy is good enough.  Bolometers are linear in scene radiance, and if you know the response of the sensor/optics (as a manufacturer does) it is just applying those factors to the Planck curve over the 7-12µm passband.
Absolute values are not relevant, it is comparing the radiance changes of say 1200°C and 50°C from ambient.

There are small errors down to heating of the pixels changing their response, but that can be allowed for with a 3 point measurement (the usual 20 & 50 °C plus say 250°C).

Worth doing even with guesses to see it is a surprisingly steep curve, and it also shows why so many cameras stop at 600°C !

Bill

The following users thanked this post: eKretz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf