Author Topic: This looks expensive!  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
This looks expensive!
« on: March 14, 2022, 11:56:00 pm »
I don't know the price, as FLIR shows hardly any prices, but I'm guessing something like at least half a mil. Any thermal camera that looks this cool, when it comes to price is going to cost you you something like a Farari, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: This looks expensive!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 04:34:05 pm »
It is just a cosmetic upgrade to the original SC4000/SC6000 series cameras that, in turn, came out of the Indigo Phoenix design. They are just a pretty standard ‘Box Camera’ design rather than a stylish ‘Ferrari’ ;)

The internal parts of these cameras is also a development of the Phoenix, SC4000 and SC6000 cameras. The cameras you reference are very high end in terms of resolution and, as the classic saying goes…. “If you need to ask the price, you cannot afford it”  :-DD

The SC4000 camera that I have is only 320 x 240 pixels but its price ranged from $50K to $150K depending upon the specification. Mine was the $150K broad spectrum model (SWIR & MWIR). These cameras are intended for research and this somewhat bulky ‘box camera’ format is tolerated as it provides a simple layout of lens at the front and connectors at the rear. FLIR basically took the SC4000 / SC6000 and just sculpted the case sides plus added a nice handle for the top. I would really like that handle on my camera as it does not feel too secure in my hands when being carried or attached to a tripod.

A picture of my SC4000 is attached for comparison.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:09:14 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: Lambda

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 05:19:09 pm »
Now there's a lens!  :-+

Offline LesioQ

• Regular Contributor
  • Every king should be naked.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 06:20:21 pm »
Form the label - most likely a Ritchey–Chrétien design telescope.
An IR reflector, no lenses, well-corrected flat field image plane.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 07:01:37 pm »
It is just a cosmetic upgrade to the original SC4000/SC6000 series cameras that, in turn, came out of the Indigo Phoenix design. They are just a pretty standard ‘Box Camera’ design rather than a stylish ‘Ferrari’ ;)

The internal parts of these cameras is also a development of the Phoenix, SC4000 and SC6000 cameras. The cameras you reference are very high end in terms of resolution and, as the classic saying goes…. “If you need to ask the price, you cannot afford it”  :-DD

The SC4000 camera that I have is only 320 x 240 pixels but its price ranged from $50K to $150K depending upon the specification. Mine was the $150K broad spectrum model (SWIR & MWIR). These cameras are intended for research and this somewhat bulky ‘box camera’ format is tolerated as it provides a simple layout of lens at the front and connectors at the rear. FLIR basically took the SC4000 / SC6000 and just sculpted the case sides plus added a nice handle for the top. I would really like that handle on my camera as it does not feel too secure in my hands when being carried or attached to a tripod.

A picture of my SC4000 is attached for comparison.

Fraser

I know it wouldn't be pretty, but a handle attached with a couple of long heavy duty zip ties would save a lot of angst when handling such a wonderful, and expensive piece of gear.  Better from an aesthetic point of view would be a bespoke handle screwed to the case.  Easy to do in the age of 3D printers, but a no-no for many because of the lost originality.

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline Logan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 05:17:43 pm »
This kind of scientific cameras would likely require a computer to run, which is not convenient in many cases.

Offline IR_Geek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 01:07:41 am »
Definitely falls into the "that's more than my house" category.    These are the new 1 mega-pixel imaging radiometers with higher speed read outs and smaller pixel sizes.   Dropping thousands on a computer barely touches the cameras ability.

When I first started working in the IR world I got handed a piece of equipment and told to carry it outside.  When I was about halfway out the door the guy told me to be careful and not to drop it.  I said OK ... then he smiled and told me the price.   I'm certain the expression on my face was a sight to behold!   :-DD   I've done that to a few 'newbies' over the years and it never gets old!   ;D

Offline boywai

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 04:13:04 am »
Hello Fraser, I was also fortunate to have a FLIR SC6101 in my collection, but it doesn’t have the original lens. I use another lens but my machine doesn’t seem to be able to image perfectly. It can only be imaged under the option of 150-300 degrees Celsius, and the quality is not good. Ok, in other temperature ranges it is blurry, can you help me. from amateur players
50/13mm 150-300 C

Offline boywai

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 04:15:59 am »
1770461-0Supplementary pictures
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 04:27:27 am by boywai »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf