Author Topic: New Flir products  (Read 229065 times)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Flir products
« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2015, 02:19:54 pm »
Tequipment have the 174 listed.
FLIR CM174 Imaging 600A AC/DC Clamp Meter with IGM 499

Not sure which of the following its adapted from.

FLIR CM72 600A AC Commercial Clamp Meter
FLIR CM82 600A Power Clamp Meter with VFD Filter 299
FLIR CM74 600A AC/DC Commercial Clamp Meter 249

Mainly interested to see what the added cost of integrating the lepton into the unit. Wondering how many tools with IR before just getting a dedicated camera. If all an electrician needs is a clamp meter, then 2 in 1 might make sense.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2015, 02:24:37 pm »
Just saw Flir's Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/FLIR

ATTENTION APP DEVS AND HACKERS! The FLIR ONE "Bring the Heat" App Challenge has gone global! Now you can enter online and compete for over $30,000 in prizes across six different app categories! Head here for details:

http://flir-online-hackathon-2546.devpost.com/

"The FLIR ONE thermal imaging camera for smart devices opens up a whole new world of iOS and Android app creation. It's time to reclaim revolution.

FLIR's revolutionary FLIR ONE (http://flir.com/flirone) brings thermal imaging to the mass consumer market for the very first time, and we're challenging developers around the globe to compete for prizes by creating the most innovative, fun and useful thermal apps imaginable!  What would you do with your superpower?

Hackers, come make some app magic happen with us! 

Requirements

Participants must do the following to participate in the Challenge:

Register for the Challenge on the designated Challenge Website and by clicking the “Register for this Hackathon” button. To complete registration, sign up to create a Devpost account, or log in with an existing Devpost account and complete and enter all required information.
    Participate in the Challenge by creating a working, native smartphone application that integrates with the FLIR ONE via a FLIR ONE SDK available at http://www.flir.com/flirone/developer, and includes features having to do with thermal imaging.
    Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page of the Challenge Website (each a “Submission”) during the Challenge Submission Period, and follow the instructions to submit your Submission.
    Create a video that includes footage that clearly explains and demonstrates your application’s features and functionality through a comprehensive demonstration.
    Release a functional version of the application (if available) to the Poster for review using one of the methods described in the contest rules. This can be either a pre-production/beta release or a production release.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:26:25 pm by nowlan »

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #477 on: October 07, 2015, 02:40:47 pm »
Calling people using the SDK "Hackers" is a bit of a stretch....  :P

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #478 on: October 07, 2015, 06:34:56 pm »
I would have thought FLIR would wish to stay away from the word 'hacker' since the E4 upgrade :)
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: October 07, 2015, 06:46:17 pm »
They want to direct hackers' attention to pop culture and leave the industrial line of products alone.
 :D

Surprised they did not say "arduino"
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #480 on: October 08, 2015, 12:06:39 am »
Tequipment have the 174 listed.
FLIR CM174 Imaging 600A AC/DC Clamp Meter with IGM 499

Not sure which of the following its adapted from.

FLIR CM72 600A AC Commercial Clamp Meter
FLIR CM82 600A Power Clamp Meter with VFD Filter 299
FLIR CM74 600A AC/DC Commercial Clamp Meter 249

Mainly interested to see what the added cost of integrating the lepton into the unit. Wondering how many tools with IR before just getting a dedicated camera. If all an electrician needs is a clamp meter, then 2 in 1 might make sense.
Looks like it's adapted from the CM74, since that has identical specs to the CM174. The model numbers also make sense. So the difference in price there is $250 USD.

However do note that the CM174, even if you ignore the Thermal Imaging capability, adds a colour backlit LCD and built in laser pointer.

Offline FlirOneFan

« Reply #481 on: October 09, 2015, 10:06:05 pm »
FLIR is very proud of its new consumer grade imaging core. They have a whole new consumer division dedicated to the sale of LEPTON based products.

Hmm... from my point of view they should not be too proud. At least their planning is really poor - seems I selected the wrong nick for this forum: I ordered a Flir One Android in July from a German online store (voelkner.de) and my order is pushed and pushed and pushed. I even tried to order it in another store (reichelt.de) who promised to deliver the device in just two weeks. And guess what: That order was pushed and pushed and pushed.

If I wouldn't need an affordable cam for my house urgently I would have canceled both orders and wait for a device really available in stores. But wait... perhaps I will come back as SeekFan one day...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:28 pm »
From what I have experienced, ordering from FLIR Belgium direct was the best route for faster fulfilment through Amazon. There were some issues with supplying me with a replacement after the original was DoA. After much investigation the US Shipping Manager ordered the release of a camera via the Amazon fulfilment route as it was the quickest supply path available. I receive the camera the next day.

As I have previously advised, FLIR miscalculated the demand and they are embarrassed about it. They are trying to get stocks into stores but I suspect that there is a pecking order at work here. Amazon are their primary order fulfilment partner so orders to FLIR Belgium may have had priority treatment ? Another forum member ordered his F1G2 last Thursday and received it on the following Monday.

This could be the hot seller for Christmas as I can see it getting more popular as it becomes more visible on the Internet. Trades like Plumbers and Electricians may take an interest, as the financial investment is reasonable for occasional use. I have yet to fully test my F1G2 due to other commitments but it appears good value for money already and I originally paid £200 for it.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:05:25 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #483 on: October 09, 2015, 10:52:02 pm »
I have started a new thread entitled :

FLIR ONE Generation 2 Thermal Camera - The useful information thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-one-generation-2-thermal-camera-the-useful-information-thread/msg774119/#msg774119

I created such a thread for the E4 and it has proved to be a useful 'one stop' repository of information relating to that camera. I am hopeful that the F1G2 thread will be similarly useful.

I have yet to populate the thread with data as time is short today. I will add information over the next few days.

My E4 useful information thread may be found here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332104/#msg332104

Some of the information held there is applicable to any thermal camera so may be of interest to F1G2 owners

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:06:28 pm by Fraser »

Offline FlirOneFan

« Reply #484 on: October 09, 2015, 10:53:36 pm »
Hi Fraser,

Thanks a lot for your message!

Another forum member ordered his F1G2 last Thursday and received it on the following Monday.

Where did he order it? Directly via Flir Belgium?

Thanks,

Dirk

Ps: The new thread will really help - thanks! Does it make sense to add a section "Shopping" which lists reliable sources for the device and addons like lenses?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:58:20 pm by FlirOneFan »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #485 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:55 pm »
The post is here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/actual-resolution-of-flir-one-v2/msg770621/#msg770621

The member says he ordered from FLIR direct.

IMHO this is the best choice.

Fraser

Offline FlirOneFan

« Reply #486 on: October 09, 2015, 11:16:34 pm »
Seems thefamilyman is living in the US - it's different in Europe: Both websites for the UK and Germany state flir one Android is on pre-order. Which is even more embarrasing: We are waiting for several months to get the devices and they ship within a few days in the US. (And it's not possible to order on the US flir site for Europe since you can only enter adresses in the US.)

Since I am in the US in November I might try to get a device there if my order to Germany is delayed another time.......

Dirk

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #487 on: October 10, 2015, 12:22:58 am »
Seems thefamilyman is living in the US - it's different in Europe: Both websites for the UK and Germany state flir one Android is on pre-order. Which is even more embarrasing: We are waiting for several months to get the devices and they ship within a few days in the US. (And it's not possible to order on the US flir site for Europe since you can only enter adresses in the US.)

Since I am in the US in November I might try to get a device there if my order to Germany is delayed another time.......

Dirk
New Zealand ^_^

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #488 on: October 10, 2015, 02:40:59 am »
@Flironefan,

You can add any sub topic you like to the useful information thread. I put place markers in the thread ready for me to populate with information that I either already have, or will have very soon. A kind of reminder to me that I need to provide the information or harvest it from elsewhere.

With regard to add on like lenses, there is a sub section for accessories that I will populate with accessories thaI have, including micro USB extension leads, lenses and bracket ray. I will provide my sources for such there.

The situation on dealers who have stock of the camera is very unclear at the moment. A sub topic detailing dealers with stock could be started but from FLIR E4 experience, stock levels can be very volatile. People really need to use Google to track down dealers and then check stock. I believe FLIR lists authorised dealers for their products as well. The list of dealers holding stock could become quite a challenge to maintain so I will pass on 'owning' that data steam. You may create such in the thread  though.

Fraser

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #489 on: October 14, 2015, 11:19:47 pm »
Voted yes for the sub-forum, took a bit to dig this thread up.

You guys see this yet?  http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/knowledgebase/index.cfm?CFTREEITEMKEY=914&view=67485

Choice snippets are this -- "The Lepton 3.5 release slated for production in the fall of 2015 will offer full radiometry"

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #490 on: October 15, 2015, 11:43:50 am »
Choice snippets are this -- "The Lepton 3.5 release slated for production in the fall of 2015 will offer full radiometry"

this is a smoke bomb

every lepton is full radiometric (e.g. Flir One)
see datasheet in attachment

you need some calibration values for your sensor, then you can convert the RAW values to temperature
see my signature for more infos
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:46:20 am by tomas123 »

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #491 on: October 16, 2015, 03:06:47 am »
Nod, thank you, my friend.  I suspect with the .5 being such an incremental change that we're not going to see an increase in resolution (I understand the Lepton 3 in the F1 G2 succumbs to the tiny lens issue).  Very much enjoy reading your threads Tomas and *wave* from a fellow Linux user.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:08:35 am by NathanFowler »

Offline arsenix

• Contributor
« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »
Maybe by "full radiometry" they mean internal to the lepton itself? The Lepton3 has an external temp sensor for the shutter (at least in the Flir One v2), so the radiometric calibration I assume is happening external to the Lepton core.

Offline FlirOneFan

« Reply #493 on: October 30, 2015, 10:45:57 pm »
My Flir One Android arrived finally! Some crashes, frozen app - but nevertheless it's fun :-) And I have to read some more stuff about it, I did not yet find out how to analyse the pictures on my PC...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #494 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:51 pm »
I can report that whilst the FLIR ONE G2 APP loads onto a HUDL tablet, it will not run. This may be due to the HUDL's user of the Intel ATOM SoC.

Offline FlirOneFan

« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:52 pm »
The app is working on my Motorola Moto X (2nd generation, Android 5.1) (as mentioned  - few crashes, frozen app).

The app does not start on my HP 7 Plus G2 Tablet (Android 4.4.2, developer options activated) at all; camera facing in the wrong direction.

Should we perhaps start a new thread for the Android app, where we collect this?

Just registered my flir one and it was quite strange that they did not ask for the P/N... they could also gather which devices we users have to improve their testing. I would volunteer to test new versions of the app.

Offline arsenix

• Contributor
« Reply #496 on: October 31, 2015, 01:29:18 am »
Is anyone else fooling with the Lepton v3 module yet? I have already ripped apart my Flir One v2 to harvest the module. I have it on a breakout board interfaced to a raspberry pi. After some code mods I have it working but it acts a bit strangely compared to what I expected from reading the datasheet. Would be great to compare notes...

Obligatory 160x120 thermal selfie attached...

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #497 on: November 02, 2015, 10:14:59 am »
Great :-+

Please post some more details about your breakout board  and code mods.

I know your site  ;)
http://hardtechlife.com/teardown-flir-one-for-android/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:16:51 am by tomas123 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #498 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:56 pm »
Some information on the lack of an MSX disablement option.

It is a fact that FLIR did not provide a MSX overlay disable option for one reason...... The MSX provided additional image detail and context that makes it compete well against the SEEK cameras higher resolution. FLIR do not want users or potential purchasers to see the raw 160x120 thermal image only. They believe buyers may buy the camera with the higher resolution instead. I raised this with FLIR and the decision did cause a lot of soul searching at the development meetings. In the consumer market that contains many non technical users, marketing is king. First impressions count...... Hence the nice F1G2 design and presentation box! FLIR know that MSX gets in the way of macro working and other technical uses, but the product is consumer centric and not presumer. Sadly a simple MSX disablement option for the user is not on the table for future software releases.

Pity 😢

Fraser

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #499 on: November 02, 2015, 06:16:48 pm »
That was the main reason I sold mine. Good thermal imaging can stand on its own without MSX overlay. The F1G2 is standing on "barely acceptable" there.
At some point I'd like to come back and make some standalone camera thing with the Lepton sensor. I bet you could probably get better image quality than is possilbe through the phone app.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf