Author Topic: New Flir products  (Read 230302 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: New Flir products
« Reply #450 on: September 25, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
 As I stated, a very interesting find.

FLIR have not previously advertised a 30fps LEPTON yet they could have offered our American friends the option of such as they do for the TAU etc. It did cross my mind that this software development company had hacked the LEPTON to release its full 30fps but that is probably not likely.

The fact that something is ITAR controlled technology does not prevent its purchase or use outside the USA. I have been using ITAR controlled FLIR cameras for many years. It just means that the cameras have additional paperwork involved in their purchase. FLIR do the paperwork when they sell you the camera via one of their official agents. ITAR would be an issue if you were using the core in your own product and wished to sell it though.

I think I will drop Bill an email asking about this higher frame rate LEPTON. He is head of OEM activities so should know of this weapon sighting aid.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #451 on: September 25, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »
au.rs have bumped their android eta to end of october. I think it was november recently.
Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 26/10/2015, delivery within 1 working days from despatch date.

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #452 on: September 25, 2015, 12:18:58 pm »
Edit: and the guy is talking bullshit saying you can put it in front of your other optics and/or run a reddot through it.
Just wondering - why?

Surely if the screen and the lepton on this are aligned correctly, then looking through this through a red dot wouldn't disrupt the alignment of your sight?

It takes very special "glass" to pass LWIR light.   I'm sure they make thermal magnifiers, but they are not your run-of-the-mill sights.

If you watch this video, it is very clear that the sensor really is 30Hz.
https://youtu.be/FLmFeMxhwdM?t=1m28s

Yep, I don't see any kind of "motion estimation" trickery.  Trying to stretch 9 Hz to 30 with software would look like barf.

Is there such thing as a 30 Hz Lepton?
I'm told there is. The current Lepton outputs duplicated frames.
Hi Mike.  Does any documentation exist for this 30 Hz Lepton?  This is the first I've ever seen one, so I'm still a little skeptical.  Having a cheap 30 Hz core would open up many "motion-intensive" applications, like putting one on my car so I can drive at night with no headlights.   ;D

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #453 on: September 25, 2015, 12:37:54 pm »
Edit: and the guy is talking bullshit saying you can put it in front of your other optics and/or run a reddot through it.
Just wondering - why?

Surely if the screen and the lepton on this are aligned correctly, then looking through this through a red dot wouldn't disrupt the alignment of your sight?

It takes very special "glass" to pass LWIR light.   I'm sure they make thermal magnifiers, but they are not your run-of-the-mill sights.
Yes, but you're putting this in front of other optics. You're looking at the screen with the red dot. So there's nothing in front of the sensor.

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #454 on: September 25, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »
Just wondering - why?

Yes, but you're putting this in front of other optics. You're looking at the screen with the red dot. So there's nothing in front of the sensor.
Ah, yeah that should work.  Might have some sort of parallax error depending on range.  Even then, 80x60 won't be good enough for more than indoor/home use.  Certainly not dropping hogs at 100m!

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #455 on: September 25, 2015, 01:52:41 pm »
Hi Mike.  Does any documentation exist for this 30 Hz Lepton?  This is the first I've ever seen one, so I'm still a little skeptical.
I was told that it exists by someone who couldn't say any more....
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #456 on: September 25, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »
Anyone here managed to get an invoice for flir one android ? Flir support sent me a receipt of payment where even the supplier name and address is missing  ... I can guess supplier name but not address.

I emailed BEFIN@flir.com and asked for a VAT invoice for Order #: 205-9539343-???????? and got a PDF copy within the hour.

FLIR Systems Trading Belgium BVBA
Luxemburgstraat 2
2321 Meer
Belgium

VAT Reg.No. BE0835.731.610

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #457 on: September 27, 2015, 04:35:46 pm »
Hi Mike.  Does any documentation exist for this 30 Hz Lepton?  This is the first I've ever seen one, so I'm still a little skeptical.
I was told that it exists by someone who couldn't say any more....
I reached out to FLIR and was told that yes, it's a real product, but is OEM-only due to the restrictions.   No datasheet either.  We'll probably never see it unless it's harvested from a commercial product... 

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: September 27, 2015, 06:20:58 pm »
Sounds like FLIR do not want the hassle of the red tape on such a low value item when selling to individuals. Understandable and this would likely also be the case for companies like Mouser, Farnell, RS and Digikey. The admin staff time has a very real cost for such companies.

A pity but let us not miss the fact that it is only a 80x60 core. It would seem logical that FLIR also have a 30fps 160x120 core as well  :) A Lepton 4 with at least 320x240 would be interesting  ;D

The Therm App appears to have set a high benchmark for image quality from a phone mounted camera, but at a cost. They also offer a 25fps version but ITAR red tape applies. I would certainly consider buying a Therm App if I did not already have a decent quality camera or two to use.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:23:18 pm by Fraser »

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #459 on: September 29, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
I finally got also the Invoice for my order ... since they cancelled my order by error I spent time to write at least 20 email to get everything ok.
Very scary experience with Flir support.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »
Is this an (working) adapter, to connect a Flir One (Gen 2 Android) with a PC?
USB 2.0 Male to Micro-B Female Adapter

give it a try, but I dont think so,
maybe you need to solder pin4+5 to make it OTG ?

http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone-29503.html

A month ago I asked here, if somebody has an idea how to connect a Flir One Android with a PC / Raspberry Pi.
Nobody with a Flir One Android gave us a feedback and I'm still waiting for the delivery. :(

I know the concept of the OTG USB and I'm afraid there is no usb compliant solution if the Flir One a USB host...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:40:06 pm by tomas123 »

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #461 on: October 03, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »
The Flir is a normal USB device (vs host).  Electrically, just connecting the 4 power+data pins should be sufficient to get any other host to recognize it.   The shorted pins are a signal to tell a OTG device (like a phone) whether or not it needs to be a host or a device.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2015, 02:46:36 pm »
ok
The Flir One works "normal" usb device (the Flir plug switch the smartphone to the OTG mode).
But I must solder a own cable from a cut micro usb extension cable with a  female micro usb plug.

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2015, 02:48:51 pm »
ok
The Flir One works "normal" usb device (the Flir plug switch the smartphone to the OTG mode).
But I must solder a own cable from a cut micro usb extension cable with a  female micro usb plug.

Will this not work?  http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008ADIRUY

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2015, 04:54:15 pm »
That's what I used to connect my Flir One Android to my development Linux box:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-flir-products/msg750052/#msg750052

Since Flir uses Vendor specific Classes for most of the interface descriptors, it will be necessary for someone to attach a USB analyzer in between the Flir One and the phone/tablet and record the USB transactions.
This MAY allow some reverse engineering on the usb protocol which MAY lead to a non-closed application that can run on a desktop PC.
This was done with the Seek Thermal somewhere around this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/yet-another-cheap-thermal-imager-incoming/msg536681/#msg536681
It was a lot of fun and lots of folks worked together.
There is even some documentation:
https://github.com/lod/seek-thermal-documentation/wiki
All this was done way before Seek released any of their SDK's

...ken...

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
FLIR just released another new product - a thermal imaging.... clamp meter. They're really trying to put the lepton into so many products.

https://youtu.be/UOIgoK2p2gE

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2015, 12:52:02 pm »
FLIR just released another new product - a thermal imaging.... clamp meter. They're really trying to put the lepton into so many products.

At least we know the margins are good on Lepton!

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
FLIR is very proud of its new consumer grade imaging core. They have a whole new consumer division dedicated to the sale of LEPTON based products. It is still early days but FLIR certainly seem to be bolting a LEPTON core onto anything that might remotely benefit from such a facility. This should be seen as good news for us users. The wider deployment of thermal imaging may lower prices further. I would expect to see affordable thermal cameras for retro fitting onto cars soon. They may well become as common as car parking and lane monitoring cameras. 9fps may be a limitation but a thermal camera makes an excellent safety system for spotting people and animals at greater distances than the useful range of dipped beam headlights.

Interesting times for thermal camera fans :)

Fraser

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2015, 11:14:05 pm »
FLIR is very proud of its new consumer grade imaging core. They have a whole new consumer division dedicated to the sale of LEPTON based products. It is still early days but FLIR certainly seem to be bolting a LEPTON core onto anything that might remotely benefit from such a facility. This should be seen as good news for us users. The wider deployment of thermal imaging may lower prices further. I would expect to see affordable thermal cameras for retro fitting onto cars soon. They may well become as common as car parking and lane monitoring cameras. 9fps may be a limitation but a thermal camera makes an excellent safety system for spotting people and animals at greater distances than the useful range of dipped beam headlights.

Interesting times for thermal camera fans :)

Fraser
It's interesting to see that there's been no real competitors to the FLIR Lepton even though it was released 2 years ago. When the Seek thermal was first shown off, I expected it to be a bit of a demo product for a OEM micro thermal module (similarly to how the FLIR One was a bit of a demo product for the 80x60 lepton) - however it seems like this hasn't happened and Seek are still only doing standalone products. ULIS also has a new "low-end" 80x80 thermal imaging core, however it's not that small and doesn't some packaged in a "mobile phone camera" sized / socketed package with integrated lens (it still uses the same lenses as the higher res cores they ship, which aren't cheap).

However I would like to see a teardown of the Seek reveal - perhaps it is a test product for putting their current sensor/lens into a camera module type form factor?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #471 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:13 am »
Good news on my replacement F1G2 Android........ It arrived this morning from Amazon.

Bill Terre (FLIR VP & GM) personally pursued this matter to ensure that I received my replacement camera. It was quite a 'journey' but we got there in the end.

I can also report that Bill is a true Gentleman and I have been suitably compensated for the complications that ensued after receiving a DoA camera.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #472 on: October 07, 2015, 12:08:43 pm »
Just saw this - clamp meter with built in thermal imaging
http://www.flir.com/instruments/content/?id=71359

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »
Isn't that the same one posted at the top of this page?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2015, 12:31:25 pm »
Isn't that the same one posted at the top of this page?

McBryce.
oops yes - didn't spot that

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf