Author Topic: New Flir products  (Read 229016 times)

Offline kahe40

• Contributor
Re: New Flir products
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2015, 11:47:11 am »
Is this an (working) adapter, to connect a Flir One (Gen 2 Android) with a PC?
USB 2.0 Male to Micro-B Female Adapter

give it a try, but I dont think so,
maybe you need to solder pin4+5 to make it OTG ?

http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone-29503.html

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2015, 11:48:20 am »
> USB 2.0 Male to Micro-B Female Adapter

I'm not sure, if this really connect USB-wise (OTG with PC?).

The Flir One SDK contain drivers (compiled binaries) für Android on ARM7 CPU.
I see some nice possibilities with Raspberry Pi Gen 2 (with Android Lollipop)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2015, 02:04:45 pm »
OTG is just a capability that enables a phone to act as a Host rather than an accessory. It becomes a computer rather than a memory module, or similar. As such OTG is not in play when connecting the FLIR ONE G2 to a standard PC as that is already in Host mode via its USB ports. The FLIRONE just wants a host, it cares not what that host is. The OTG connector supplies normal Supply, D+, D-, 0v pins. The fifth pin is used by the phone only to set it to Host mode. In the OTG spec the pin is actually the ID terminal on pin 4 of the connector.

I see no issue with adapting the 5 pin micro USB connector to a standard full size A or B connector for linking to aC. The FLIR ONE is a standard USB device.

If appropriate drivers are install, it should be visible and accessible from a PC. Then the fun begins, writing an application to process the cameras data. I do not have the SDK so do not know how much image processing occurs in the camera and how much is needed in the host.

If the FLIR ONE can be used with a PC, it will really open up some interesting possibilities. I was hoping that FLIR would produce a thermal web cam to join its range of visible light security webcams, but that has not happened yet.

Aurora.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:10:54 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so this is probably the best place to ask this question:

I'm looking for a low cost Thermal Imager. I want to avoid mobile phone attachment versions, as I change my phone more often than my wife changes her mind. What would you guys recommend? (Flir or not?)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2015, 02:55:06 pm »
FLIR E4 is, IMHO, the best value for money thermal imager on the market at this time. At 80x60 resolution it is not wonderful but the MSX helps by providing context to an image. If you carry out the relatively simple upgrade/hack to the full 320x240 resolution of which it is capable it is IMHO unbeatable value for money.

I collect thermal cameras, some costing as much as $56000 when new in 2001. Their replacement models cost a similar sum today. I now own 40 thermal cameras of various ages and capabilities. Many are far higher spec than the Ex series. Yet I tend to reach for the little E4 when I want to do a quick image of a PCB or scene. It is a very well designed little camera with good ergonomics and, when hacked, excellent capabilities. I cannot recommend it highly enough. A real Gem.

Aurora

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #255 on: August 26, 2015, 02:55:35 pm »
Cheapest standalone I know of is this - no idea how good it is :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IR-INFRARED-THERMAL-IMAGER-VISIBLE-LIGHT-CAMERA-3600-PIXELS-20-300-C-6Hz-/171785207662?hash=item27ff323f6e

Or get a FLir One and a dedicted cheap android phone, and forget it's a phone.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56:11 pm »
But best value for money is still a hacked E4
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2015, 03:05:58 pm »
FLIR E4 is, IMHO, the best value for money thermal imager on the market at this time. At 80x60 resolution it is not wonderful but the MSX helps by providing context to an image. If you carry out the relatively simple upgrade/hack to the full 320x240 resolution of which it is capable it is IMHO unbeatable value for money.

I collect thermal cameras, some costing as much as $56000 when new in 2001. Their replacement models cost a similar sum today. I now own 40 thermal cameras of various ages and capabilities. Many are far higher spec than the Ex series. Yet I tend to reach for the little E4 when I want to do a quick image of a PCB or scene. It is a very well designed little camera with good ergonomics and, when hacked, excellent capabilities. I cannot recommend it highly enough. A real Gem.

Aurora

But doesn't that hack require obtaining a version of the camera that is hackable? In other words, if he just goes out and buys one off Amazon.com, is this going to be hackable, or does he have to try and find an older revision that allows the hack?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2015, 04:18:38 pm »
All known versions of the Ex series can still be hacked. There is the tear down thread on this forum that details such.

Aurora

Offline the1snm

• Contributor
« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2015, 05:25:14 pm »

I assume by a wide minimum span of the Seek your referring to the temperature differential pixel to pixel? In other words the ability to detect a sense a 76 degree item in a 75 degree room? I thought I remember reading that the Seek has a 1 degree "Sensitivity" I was calling it and the FlirOne has a .1 degree sensitivity. I don't know all the lingo so if we're talking about the same thing I've learned something new with span. Is the span of the seek controlled via software or is it something hardware limited?

As you know, a thermal imager normally maps the colour at the top of the LUT (eg. White) to the hottest object in the scene, while mapping the colour at the bottom (eg. Black) to the coldest object. However, as the difference between the hottest and coldest decreases, more image noise is visible (as you're stretching a smaller signal difference to fit a large colour span).

The seek has a wide minimal span. This means that the colour mapping will react as you expect down to a certain point (eg. 5 degrees difference). After that, the hottest is no longer mapped to white - it's mapped to slightly brighter grey and cold is mapped to slightly darker grey. This is to hide noise.

We can manually use photoshop to change the span of your dog photo to make sure the full pallet of black -> white is used, thereby simulating what would happen without a minimal span/a narrower minimal span.

Holy noise - You can clearly see why seek have set a minimal span limit.

So yeah, it's technically a software limit, however the software limit exists because the hardware cannot generate good images at low temperature spans.

Most excellent answer thank you and the image help clarify things too. So it looks like I'm gonna be stuck using the Seek XR for now unless they come out with something new real soon.

Sent from my iPhone

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »
Thanks for all the tips. I've no problem hacking things. My DP832 and MSO1104Z-S have both been liberated, so a Flir shouldn't be an issue.

@Aurora: That's an exensive hobby you've chosen there! Unfortunately I'm a bit spoiled. At work we use devices at that price level, so my expectations are a bit too high. But I'd really like to have this option at home, but not spend a fortune on it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2015, 10:03:08 am »
Gave up waiting for the FLIR One Android and ordered a Therm-App... 384x288 here I come  :-+

Hard decision between it and the E4, but the ~40% higher res (384x288 (~100k) as opposed to 320x240(~72k)) and "native" interchangeable lens, manual focus and video recording support sold it for me. Also the large lens on the Therm-App just looks a bit more... substantial than the small chalcogenide one on the E4  ;)

Let me know if you want me to start a new thread and post a review / thoughts on the Therm-App once I get it.

Also one more interesting thing of note - even though the Therm-App is manufactured by Opgal, who themselves make various 384 and 640 microbolometers with both 17u 25u pixel pitches, the Therm-App actually uses a Pico384P from ULIS (Sofadir subsidiary) in a "traditional" ceramic package (as opposed to the wafer packaging used on the E4/Seek/Lepton).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:42:34 am by encryptededdy »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:41 am »
Thank you for your order from FLIR Systems, Inc.. Fulfillment by Amazon has shipped the following items. This completes your order.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Qty    Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1      FLIR ONE Thermal Imaging Equipment for Android Devices
        SKU:435-0003-03-00-A
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:45 am »
Of course it ships <24 hours after I cancel my preorder.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:54 am »
FLIR One Android is now on sale at Amazon for $211.61 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/FLIR-Thermal-Imaging-Equipment-Android/dp/B00W5PRY52

@marshallh and anyone who ordered from Amazon - you may want to try contacting them. Their customer support is great and they just may refund you the difference.

Offline in.Vitro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2015, 12:49:20 pm »
In Germany you can preorder it in Amazon for 279€ ;)

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:46 pm »

Can you please post the link to the Amazon page? I'm only able to find the iPhone version on Amazon.de  :'(

Thanks!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2015, 01:34:17 pm »
Just typical....the USA gets a discounted price but the UK (Europe?) does not.

Boo Hissss FLIR 👿

Aurora

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:29 pm »

Can you please post the link to the Amazon page? I'm only able to find the iPhone version on Amazon.de  :'(

Thanks!

I can't find it on amazon.de, but it's on amazon.co.uk http://goo.gl/4ze7Db for 199pounds or 273€ + shipping.

I will rather wait for i3-ThemalExpert with 384 x 288 resolution and sell my SeekThemal to soften a hit to my wallet.  ;D

Offline in.Vitro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2015, 05:01:36 pm »
Its just the iOS Model :/

FLIR ONE Wärmebildkamera für iOS-Geräte https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0123QLZJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_dZh6vbXRH1DRE

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #271 on: September 04, 2015, 12:51:09 am »
Just got a ship notice from FLIR for my Flir One Android. Should be here on 9/8.
And UPS has it in their system!!

...ken...

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2015, 12:55:25 am »
I've been reading this thread, and have a sudden urge to buy a thermal imager seeing as how the prices in general are actually starting to become within reach. Whether it's the Flir One or other product, or even a dedicated one.  In the ~$300 range is the Flir One still the way to go?  I can't seem to find the Android version anywhere in Canada, not even through ebay. It's all iphone ones.  Also how phone specific is it?  I have a Nexus 4.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: September 04, 2015, 01:40:18 am »
I've been reading this thread, and have a sudden urge to buy a thermal imager seeing as how the prices in general are actually starting to become within reach. Whether it's the Flir One or other product, or even a dedicated one.  In the ~$300 range is the Flir One still the way to go?  I can't seem to find the Android version anywhere in Canada, not even through ebay. It's all iphone ones.  Also how phone specific is it?  I have a Nexus 4.
If you have a Nexus 4, then the FLIR One might be your only option - the Nexus 4 has limited OTG support, as it doesn't supply power. Therefore, the Seek/Therm-App, which both draw power from your phone, won't work. Only the FLIR One has a built in battery and therefore will hopefully work.

However please note that the USB connector on the Nexus 4 faces the wrong way - you'll only be able to take thermal selfies unless you get a MicroUSB OTG extension cable.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: September 04, 2015, 02:01:24 am »
If you have a Nexus 4, then the FLIR One might be your only option - the Nexus 4 has limited OTG support, as it doesn't supply power. Therefore, the Seek/Therm-App, which both draw power from your phone, won't work. Only the FLIR One has a built in battery and therefore will hopefully work.

However please note that the USB connector on the Nexus 4 faces the wrong way - you'll only be able to take thermal selfies unless you get a MicroUSB OTG extension cable.

That's good to know.  I'll have to try to find a source in Canada, think I'm going to go for it.  I'll have to find that microusb cable though, is that something common?  I would not really want it to be super long.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf