Author Topic: Finally obtained the very elusive RTOOLs  (Read 1354 times)

Offline MrSheepTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Finally obtained the very elusive RTOOLs
« on: May 31, 2024, 02:09:17 am »
I recently acquired a copy of RTools. I have been searching for this software for ages. The dongle works with the newest version of RTools as well!

One unfortunate thing was that the CD was unreadable. There was some pattern etched onto the plastic because of how long it sat in this case (prob almost 20 years). I had to sand down the disc with sandpaper (1500,2000,2500,3000 grit). Then I used my polishing wheel and some polisher I use for my car  ;D . The label was only made out of paper so it did lose some of its color. But a small trade off since I was able to copy everything off of it successfully.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 02:11:49 am by MrSheep »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Finally obtained the very elusive RTOOLs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 02:10:37 am »
Faded label but was able to extract the data.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 11:03:45 am »
Excellent find !  :-+

The HASP dongle is often separated from the software disk and lost over the years or remains plugged into an old PC that is then binned.

I have also had problems with elderly CD’s that have not been stored properly. Some get cracked, others warped and I had one where the whole label side delaminated taking the silvering with it  :scared: That disk was not recoverable. It is so frustrating to have a piece of very rare software in your hands and yet be unable to extract it from the media on which it is stored !

With regard to polishing Optical storage disks, I swear by NOVUS polish. It comes in 3 grades of abrasive and is used in the plastics industry as well as restoration companies who deal with plastics restoration. Pinball deck polishing being just one application where NOVUS shines  :-+ Well worth having in stock and they used to do a sample size 3 pack that I bought. It lasted forever on the small jobs I undertake. I then bought the normal size as I was so impressed with it. The polish also works on other substrates including car paint  :-+ Adam Savage also recommends it and shows its excellent performance on his YouTube channel when polishing a NAGRA 4 Reel to Reel tape recorder clear plastic lid, as well as a “Lost in space” helmet visor.

https://novuspolish.com/

RTOOLS was an unusual software package in that it was several separate programs rather than the integrated packages that we are used to using these days. It is such a pity that a useable version of the software has not been released without the software protection but I suppose the rights owner still wants to protect it even though it is long “out of print”.

Enjoy your fully activated RTOOLS…. I am envious of you  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 11:08:19 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: MrSheep

Offline IR_Geek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 12:11:51 pm »
Excellent find!  Does your dongle give you access to the full suite including RPro?  It's basically LabView for IR.   With RCal you have full ability to build as many calibration configurations as your computer can store.   Just remember to not 'double NUC' the data.   Either turn off all NUC stored in the camera for true RAW or only due the NUC's in the camera memory. 

I remember getting this software and we had three dongles.   One was the full suite used for data analysis and the other two we used for field collections.  Those two just had RDac and RCal.  To me, RTools is the benchmark standard for IR software.   ImageDesk and Altair were good, but RTools would work with any camera.   As long as you know the digital data input - RS422 with correct card, cameraLink, and sometimes GigE.    When vendors started packing controls and digital data on the same cable/protocol the cameras became too tightly couple with the software.

If memory serves, Fraser has large list of IR software.   Number of software programs have exploded in the past 15 years, but late 90's and early 2000's were a 'golden age' of quality (but finicky) data collection software.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 01:36:38 pm »
Regarding the HASP dongles and the levels of licensing that they provide….. nothing has changed, my ResearchIR 4 software comes in Standard or MAX configurations that are determined by the particular HASP licence dongle. I have both the Standard and MAX HASP dongles and can see that the MAX version permits far more analysis of imagery. From memory FLIR ditched the HASP dongle in favour of paper based licences with on-line activation….Yuk! I love the fact that I can install ResearchIR 4 MAX on numerous PC’s and just plug the HASP dongle into the one that I wish to use on a particular occasion  :-+ Single PC licences with on-line activation are a PITA.

Regarding my collection of thermal imaging analysis software…. Yes I have a decent number of different programs. The challenge I faced with some was that I had the licence or Dongle but not the actual software. Very frustrating ! I managed in most cases to source the software from the manufacturer or other thermal imaging enthusiasts. Sadly many of the older FLIR software versions have been lost so if it is not on their download archive, you tend to be out of luck. I wanted a particular software for which I had a valid paper licence and it took the engagement of a FLIR CEO to track down that particular version of software on their engineering servers. I still have a Thermoteknix parallel port dongle for the Thermogram software but have yet to find a copy of the software to use with it. The dongle came with an Inframetrics PM280 cooled camera so it is likely Thermoteknix also provided the Thermogram analysis software for Inframetrics cameras.

Some 3rd party software is interesting as it is often sold piecemeal…. That is to say, you pay for the software modules that you want and also for the different cameras that you wish to use with the software. A unique licence is issued and that contains data that determines which software modules and camera drivers are activated. One 3rd party software that I have is very sophisticated and my version is licensed for use with NEC AVIO thermal cameras. It is the “full fat” configuration with all modules enabled :). The same software was available for use with FLIR and other makes of camera. NEV AVIO liked the software so much (their own software was not great) that they gained a licence to sell it under the NEC AVIO brand with a different name. I have both the original 3rd party software and the NEC AVIO branded version and my licence works on both… but only with NEC AVIO cameras.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 08:20:35 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 03:34:09 pm »
Excellent find !  :-+

The HASP dongle is often separated from the software disk and lost over the years or remains plugged into an old PC that is then binned.

I have also had problems with elderly CD’s that have not been stored properly. Some get cracked, others warped and I had one where the whole label side delaminated taking the silvering with it  :scared: That disk was not recoverable. It is so frustrating to have a piece of very rare software in your hands and yet be unable to extract it from the media on which it is stored !

With regard to polishing Optical storage disks, I swear by NOVUS polish. It comes in 3 grades of abrasive and is used in the plastics industry as well as restoration companies who deal with plastics restoration. Pinball deck polishing being just one application where NOVUS shines  :-+ Well worth having in stock and they used to do a sample size 3 pack that I bought. It lasted forever on the small jobs I undertake. I then bought the normal size as I was so impressed with it. The polish also works on other substrates including car paint  :-+ Adam Savage also recommends it and shows its excellent performance on his YouTube channel when polishing a NAGRA 4 Reel to Reel tape recorder clear plastic lid, as well as a “Lost in space” helmet visor.

https://novuspolish.com/

RTOOLS was an unusual software package in that it was several separate programs rather than the integrated packages that we are used to using these days. It is such a pity that a useable version of the software has not been released without the software protection but I suppose the rights owner still wants to protect it even though it is long “out of print”.

Enjoy your fully activated RTOOLS…. I am envious of you  :)

Fraser

Yeah I have a similar polish as well! At first I tried to polish it but realized that the etching was deeper than anticipated. Hence why I went with a little more aggressive route and it worked! Polishing brought enough shine back that the cd drive could read it. After knowing I could read it I immediately made a copy, to preserve the data.

Now the question is. Would you like a copy of this elusive software? (Not sure if it is shareable but if it is please dm me. This goes for you too IR_Geek or anyone else that asks. The software might not be useful to most but maybe the documentation is a fun read for people)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2024, 03:36:40 pm »
Excellent find!  Does your dongle give you access to the full suite including RPro?  It's basically LabView for IR.   With RCal you have full ability to build as many calibration configurations as your computer can store.   Just remember to not 'double NUC' the data.   Either turn off all NUC stored in the camera for true RAW or only due the NUC's in the camera memory. 

I remember getting this software and we had three dongles.   One was the full suite used for data analysis and the other two we used for field collections.  Those two just had RDac and RCal.  To me, RTools is the benchmark standard for IR software.   ImageDesk and Altair were good, but RTools would work with any camera.   As long as you know the digital data input - RS422 with correct card, cameraLink, and sometimes GigE.    When vendors started packing controls and digital data on the same cable/protocol the cameras became too tightly couple with the software.

If memory serves, Fraser has large list of IR software.   Number of software programs have exploded in the past 15 years, but late 90's and early 2000's were a 'golden age' of quality (but finicky) data collection software.

No unfortunately not :( . When I tried to open Rpro it said I had a trial version only. All other RTools programs opened fine.

And that is good to know I will try this software with my amber cameras as I am in the process of making the RS422 to Pleora LVDS circuit board and cable.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 03:40:02 pm by MrSheep »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf