Author Topic: Protective cover for 5.5 to 14um  (Read 194 times)

Offline Phil1977Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Protective cover for 5.5 to 14um
« on: August 26, 2024, 10:20:24 am »
Hi,

does anyone have experience what can be used as a FIR-window to seal the housing of a contactless thermometer?

Following project: A friend asked me if I can build him a thermometer that displays the surface temperature of the tires of his race car. A GY-906 BCC from Melexis seems to be the perfect choice, it´s small enough for the wheel housing, it has an appropriate detection angle and black rubber should usually be very well suited for pyrometry.

The main issue is: Even if the sensor does not need to function if it´s wet, it should survive the conditions next to the wheel. I definitely need some window to protect it.

I had the following ideas:
- Thin PE window: Cheap and easy to replace, but not very transmissive and very prone to dirt.
- ZnSe-window: Highly transmissive, but more expensive and very easy to scratch
- Ge-window: Much to expensive, also easy to scratch
- "Periscope" of two gold coated glasses: No hermetic seal, but easy to replace

Do you know any other promising material or setup?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Protective cover for 5.5 to 14um
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 01:23:32 pm »
I had a thermal camera from an F1 car a while ago. The camera was used to monitor tyre temperatures. I think I still have the tablet PC and software that was connected to it, but not the camera. It was ruggedised and used a Germanium window. In F1 cost is less of an issue, yet the physics of the situation remains. Ducted air flow is used to keep the lens clear of debris during use. In industry it is common to use disposable lens protectors made from Polyolefin film. The film is kept very thin (10 Microns), to reduce transmission losses, but it is fragile as a result. The alternative is a non-disposable lens protector that uses Germanium, ZnSe or thin silicon to provide a more robust protective barrier. Germanium and ZnSe coated windows are not that expensive from China, especially when small diameters are involved. Automotive night vision thermal cameras (Autoliv) also use Germanium windows to protect the lens assembly but those windows are heated and expensive unless found in a scrap yard on a night vision equipped BMW or Audi.

Making a thermal imaging sensor water and ballistic resistant whilst maintaining measurement accuracy can be a challenge and tends to cost money to do well. Note that the F1 thermal camera had a frame update rate of 120 frames per second and the associated downloadable data logger held masses of data points for later analysis. It was a pretty comprehensive tyre monitoring system that actually showed the temperature gradient across the tyres surface.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: Phil1977

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 01:44:01 pm »
You might find this short article interesting……

https://www.renvale.com/texense-tyre-temperature-sensor-wins-award

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 01:52:02 pm »

Offline Phil1977Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 05:18:02 pm »
IP65 sufficient? https://www.digikey.dk/en/products/detail/dfrobot/SEN0256/10279716
Sounds promising, but somehow I don't trust the IP-rating. They just write the housing is made of "mental" but don't  specify anything for the IR-window. I suppose it´s a recessed window out of ZnSe and if you get dirt into this zone the accuracy will completely vanish...

In industry it is common to use disposable lens protectors made from Polyolefin film. The film is kept very thin (10 Microns), to reduce transmission losses, but it is fragile as a result. The alternative is a non-disposable lens protector that uses Germanium, ZnSe or thin silicon to provide a more robust protective barrier. Germanium and ZnSe coated windows are not that expensive from China, especially when small diameters are involved. Automotive night vision thermal cameras (Autoliv) also use Germanium windows to protect the lens assembly but those windows are heated and expensive unless found in a scrap yard on a night vision equipped BMW or Audi.

The hint for the polyolefin film is great! I just checked it, even mundane wrapping film from the kitchen is quite transparent. I think I use a Ge or ZnSe window from China with together with a disposable polyolefin film on top. My unit won't ever get near to a formula one car so it seems more than sufficient. Thank you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf