Author Topic: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion  (Read 142955 times)

Offline slavoy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2023, 11:32:14 am »
It appears that InfiRay has changed the new T2S+ cameras firmware to "V2" and now the image is not detected by any application. It only works properly with the original Android app on a smartphone, which significantly limits its functionality.

The following users thanked this post: arvidb

Offline Vestom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2023, 03:33:02 pm »
Got my T2S+ today - and my initial tests seem to confirm my expectations: Great camera (for the price)!  :-+  Crappy Android app  :palm:

The included pistol grip is nicely made - but it seems unnecessary and bulky and I would rather have saved the odd 20 EUR. You can just hold the small camera in the end of the included cable instead. Now, if only the app allowed manual rotation of the image...

Edit: According to the Android app the camera has "soft version: 2.06.220117", but the camera is detected fine by my PC and works as a normal (IR) webcam. I have not yet tried other Android apps. Any recommendations of better alternative apps are welcome? :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 03:36:42 pm by Vestom »

Offline slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2023, 03:48:58 pm »
soft version: 2.06.220117
If it is not shown as "T2S+_V2" then it will work with all the software for T2L.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2023, 02:47:54 pm »
Having read the thread, in which there were a couple of suggestions for cases, has anyone since found anything else that would be suitable?

Offline mita

« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2023, 11:38:14 pm »
Hi Frazer,

First thank you your extensive information about P2 Pro. Regarding the OTG connection I am asking your help, still waiting for the answer from Infiray support.

I wrote the following to the support:

----------
Hi,

I purchased an Infiray P2 Pro for Android device, SN:xxxxx.

I tried to install and use the camera with a Redmi Note 7 Pro with Android 10, MIU version: MIU Global 12.5.1.
Installed the P2 Pro software from the Playstore, software version: 1.09.230213.  Started the app and I got the following message:
"Please plug in the device and turn on the OTG function".
Connected the camera to the phone and nothing is happening, the message is staying on the screen see the attached screenshot.

OTG Checker app gives green checkmark for USB Manager, USB Host and USB devices list. Using an OTG supported USB-A to USB-C adapter USB pendrive recognized automatically and function well on the Redmi.
On the other hand there is no OTG switch on-off menu in this version of Android 10. 

The camera getting a bit warm after 10 minutes of connected state to the phone.

Please advise how to proceed forward to be able to use the camera,

-----------

For an unknow reason for me it seems that the android sw is not able to recognize the camera. The phone support the OTG function according to the speification. Unfortunately the manual switch mode of OTG is removed from the settings menu, Android should recognize the attached device and switched the OTG mode automatically.

Tomorrow I will have a canche to try the camera with a Samsung S7 -  Android 13 patched - with an OTG supported USB-C to USB-micro converter. I am a bit sceptical about this test because the Android 13 settings has no manual OTG switching as well, it is automatic. Plus the converter could be a problem as well. We will see.

Hope you have some information how to proceed forward on this,

Regards,

Mihaly 

Offline mita

« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2023, 12:45:34 pm »
Happy to report the P2 Pro camera is working with Samsung S7 Edge - Android 13 Lineage distro  - using an OTG verified USB-C to USB-Micro adapter. Be aware of Redmi Note 7 Pro with Android 10, MIU version: MIU Global 12.5.1. users: the automatic OTG function may not be working with devices drawing high current. An USB stick is working well, but the camera does not. This problem is reported by other users as well, only this SW version is affected - international ROM.

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2023, 01:48:53 pm »
Sadly this is a risk with buying Thermal Dongle format thermal cameras. Unlike designing for an iOS phone, a manufacturer has to design for a very variable environment that is the Android phone ecosystem. The hardware can vary greatly and there are many versions and variants of the operating system in use. This makes it very hard to ensure that a dongle camera will work with all phones and equally well across a large range of phone specifications. FLIR designed their Android FLIR One G2 to operate well with a Samsung S5 model that was a current performance model. They told me that it was a real challenge to design a camera that would work with a range of hardware platforms and they used the Samsung S5 as a reference phone. They even admitted that they found it hard to get the performance of the FLIR One G2 equal to that of the  iOS version as software fine tuning was more restricted in order to maintain broad platform compatibility.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline PaulDamian

« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2023, 09:44:33 pm »
Hello,
I've bought myself a P2 Pro.
Windows sees it as USB\VID_0BDA&PID_5830&MI_00\6&3E3B7C5&0&0000
Software version 1.0.9.230213
Firmware version 3.07.11.00
However, as of today, it works with none of the other Android apps mentioned in this thread. Only the "P2 Pro" app recognizes it.

Offline mita

« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2023, 12:45:52 pm »
Thank you your background info. Meantime I used it on iPhone motherboard with macro lens and it is amazing. Finding hard shorts are so much easier with this camera.

Offline hcet14

« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2023, 12:23:34 pm »
However, as of today, it works with none of the other Android apps mentioned in this thread. Only the "P2 Pro" app recognizes it.

You may have a look here. ... but be careful about the Thermal Eye X version as Clean Unbox mentioned in the review.

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline joechina

« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2023, 11:29:24 am »
As Apple anounced that iPadOS v17 will support external web cams, I wonder if anybody had tried the beta of v17 on an iPad Pro with the Infiray thermal camera?

Any success it rus on an iPad with USB-C?

Offline rernexy

• Contributor
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2023, 07:07:04 am »
Been wondering about a similar thing: the new iPhone 15 series now uses USB-C, not Lightning. So can the "Android" P2 Pro's be used with the iPhone 15's?

Offline ksxx

• Contributor
« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2023, 08:49:58 am »
I just found out that the raw data of the P2 Pro seems to be embedded in the jpeg file. When you open a P2 pro jpg file in the digikam desktop app, the metadata panel on the right shows you the overview of the extra information in the ExifTool tab. The actual raw data seems to be in the APP3 segment (never heard of the APP segments before...). I have attached sample metadata copied from digikam that does not include the real binary raw image data block. I have tried to extract the raw data with Exiftool but only managed to get a  formatted dump of all metadata using the -v5 option. There is also a thread on the exiftool forum where a similar situation for a DJI thermal camera is discussed: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=11401.msg61816#msg61816
I really like the camera but the software kinda sucks. Extracting the raw data and making your own plots and analysis would improve the situation.

Offline RuneHansen

• Contributor
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2023, 09:55:51 am »

Offline ksxx

• Contributor
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2023, 09:27:25 am »
I did some more testing and at least was able to get an image out of the APP3 data that looks the same as the original image. This image does not change when you edit it in phone app and save it, so I assume it is the temp data. The temperature scaling is unclear to me and I found no scaling factors in the exif metadata.
It looks like the original app is unclear about the scaling as well! The extreme case is when you edit an image recorded with the high T range (550C max). Then the edited image shows a temperature more than twice as low as temp show during recording... I found substantial differences also for images recorded in the high res/low T mode.

python test code:
Code: [Select]
from PIL import Image
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

# The APP3 block is 294912 bytes in size
# This corresponds to 6bytes/pixel for a sensor size of 256*192
# 256*192 = 49152 = 0xC000
# 294912/256/6 = 192
# 65532*4 + 32784 = 294912

im = Image.open("cold.JPG")

# concatenate APP3 chunks of data. It is 6Bytes of data per pixel...
# played around with the code given here: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=11401.msg61816#msg61816
a = im.applist[2][1]
print(len(im.applist[2][1]))
for i in range(3, 7):
    a += im.applist[i][1]
print(len(a))
# create image from bytes
# https://pillow.readthedocs.io/en/stable/handbook/concepts.html#concept-modes
# this setting at least gives an image that looks like the original thermal image. Details unclear..
img = Image.frombytes('I;16B', (256, 192), a)

'''
Exif Info:
FactStatusGain:
large range : 1
low range : 0
'''

# what scaling to apply??? There seems to be no scaling factors in the exif that change with the min max range of the thermal image -> Absolute scaling
temps = np.array(img,dtype=np.float32)

print(temps.min(),temps.max())

# still need to apply formula to image to convert raw sensor values to temps

#np.savetxt('temps.csv', temps, delimiter=',')

#plt.imshow(temps.astype(np.uint), cmap="inferno")
plt.imshow(temps, cmap="inferno")
plt.show()

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 09:50:47 am by ksxx »

Offline EuT

« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2023, 04:21:19 am »
Hi everyone,

I noticed that my P2 pro starts to flicker after a couple of minutes of run time. After I plug it in, it works ok at first. But then I get a 1-2 brighter frames every few seconds. The bright frames have all pixel values increased by about ~10-20 (8-bit greyscale). This continues until I unplug and restart the camera. Same behavior on Win10/11 with VLC capture and on Android with InfirayGo. The problem is visible directly in live viewer and occurs with and without the macro lens.

Anyone else with this problem?

I have the same flickering effect on my TS2+ camera. The temperature jumps 2-3 times/s randomly for about 0.1-0.3 C synchronously over all frame.
It is not noticeable when looking at the scene with T range of 10-20 C but is very unpleasant at range of 2 C when I analyze small T changes of the target.
Anybody has similar issue with Infiray cameras?

Link to AVI file showing this flickering of TS2+ camera:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zjP1IvHav-HJ3hCshbGf20eOVbXfPgED/view?usp=sharing

T range in this video is 1.5C for full color scale.
Video captured in IRCAM Thermal Viewer
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:31:50 pm by EuT »

Offline kristjana

« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2023, 07:39:05 pm »
Has anyone been able to alter the gain mode of the camera and still come up with accurate temperature measures? We have it working in high gain mode with [x/16 - 273] but switching to low gain mode gives us completely different numbers

Offline Pinörkel

• Contributor
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2023, 10:47:12 pm »
Hello,
I got myself a P2 Pro a few days ago and had some time playing with it connected to a windows PC. Here are some of my findings and issues:
The P2 Pro is usually installed as a simple USB video device, which can be accessed via any software that can handle a webcam. In this mode, the cam shows a YUY2 formatted 256x192 gray-scale image and, if you can configure the software to use the second possible frame format (256x384) the lower half of the frame contains the raw data. Just like the one of @PaulDamian, my P2 Pro Hardware has the VID: 0BDA and the PID: 5830, which means that most of the usual Tiny1C drivers cannot be installed, because they expect a PID of 5840. That said, my P2 Pro does not work with any of the usual PCXthermDemo-based windows tools. Most of them are able to detect the camera, but as soon as they try to trigger advanced functionality like the gain mode or any shutter related functionality, they just crash instantaneously. This is most likely because the PID 5830 P2 Pro with the default usbvideo driver does not seem to be capable of executing the respective usb commands. Forcing one of the Tiny1C drivers to be installed for the P2 Pro can be done, but then the P2 Pro does no longer work in webcam mode and also cannot be detected by any PCXthermDemo-based windows tools. This is most likely because they expect a device PID of 5840 in this case.

The only tool that worked out of the box but offered no advanced calibration and shutter features in its trial version was the IRCAM Thermal Viewer which can be found in the Microsoft app store.

After analyzing the P2 Pro app, which works with my camera, I discovered that it most likely accesses the camera by using the libuvc and libusb-1.0 libraries. So I put together a little c++ program to access the camera, but it did not work until I replaced the default usbvideo driver in windows with a libusbK driver using the Zadig tool. This also killed the ability of the cam to be used as a webcam, but after replacing the driver, I was able to get images via libuvc, extract the lower RAW data part of the image and convert the contained 14 bit data by normalizing the image, rescaling it to 8 bit and doing some sharpening, resizing and color mapping. It is worth mentioning that the obtained image looked good, but not as sharp as the P2 Pro's own gray-scale image in the upper part of the frame, which seemed to be sharper and produced better contrasts in darker areas.

Until now, I have found no way to change the sensor range, activate the sensor protection or activate a NUC function on my P2 Pro (does it even have shutter control?). The latter would be especially useful, since the P2 Pro has a pronounced noise pattern, which becomes very visible in the image when rotating the camera. I also discovered a seemingly sensor temperature dependent blotch in the lower left corner of the images of my P2 Pro that seems like there is kind of a spec on the sensor or the internal lens (see attached images). It is very subtle when starting the camera in a cold state, but gets more and more pronounced as the camera temperature is rising after a few minutes. I am pretty sure this blotch was not there during the first two days of use and it is also visible in the RAW data portion of the images(the green part with the inadequate YUY2 conversion). Has anybody else spotted something like that on their P2 Pro? Or maybe it is a sensor defect and I should get my P2 Pro replaced?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:49:44 pm by Pinörkel »

Offline smile

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #269 on: November 01, 2023, 07:20:08 pm »
I would like to report a bug on app version 1.0.9.230213

This is latest version available today 2023-11-01.

This bug when editing taken images in P2 pro editor, the dots and rectangles used to measure temperature show incorrect temperature.

I attach image demonstrating this bug.

Image 1698859252119 is original image, max temperature is 105.5C

Image 1698861648444 is same image edited, max temperature is 80.5C

This is 20C less then first image for same image.

Offline smile

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #270 on: November 02, 2023, 02:44:57 pm »
Hello, fellows hosting "fake" "electronics repair" channels like:

Jason from STS Telecom
Learn Electronics Repair
Electronics Repair School

I'm sure I can get this list going like +20 more. You all received and reviewed the Infiray P2 Pro.
You praised it and said it's best since sliced bread. You also said you use it in your workshop.

But how did you miss this bug above? because you could not notice that editing images later shows incorrect temperatures up to 20C for 100C temperature. And this is not new bug. It's been since release of the camera in
2023-Jun at least this is the time I got it. I have a FLIR capable phone so I used it for that. But this is ridiculous as is.

On the other hand I understand that when your income is Youtube, you can't be good repair tech to begin with. At least when you constantly complain about monetization. And these channels did just that. I was amazed at first.

So nothing personal, to the owners of these channels. Just business.

Bug been confirmed by Infiray and soon to be fixed.
"I have reported this to our engineers and this will be fixed soon. Will keep you updated."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 02:59:38 pm by smile »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #271 on: November 02, 2023, 11:23:05 pm »
Hello, fellows hosting "fake" "electronics repair" channels like:

Jason from STS Telecom
Learn Electronics Repair
Electronics Repair School

I'm sure I can get this list going like +20 more. You all received and reviewed the Infiray P2 Pro.
You praised it and said it's best since sliced bread. You also said you use it in your workshop.

But how did you miss this bug above? because you could not notice that editing images later shows incorrect temperatures up to 20C for 100C temperature. And this is not new bug. It's been since release of the camera in
2023-Jun at least this is the time I got it. I have a FLIR capable phone so I used it for that. But this is ridiculous as is.

On the other hand I understand that when your income is Youtube, you can't be good repair tech to begin with. At least when you constantly complain about monetization. And these channels did just that. I was amazed at first.
I use the P2 a lot and have never saved an image,
Not covering every single feature does not render a reviee worthleds as you seem to be implying.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline smile

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #272 on: November 04, 2023, 12:06:54 am »

Well any pro user will take shots on site, then edit analyze them. Quickly changing conditions demand editing later.
Comparing different palettes also demand editing later.

If you never use editing, then contact CAT tell them how stupid their editor is demanding GPS to be ON for it to save reports.

Not covering every single feature does not render a reviee worthleds as you seem to be implying.

Well for a hobby review yes that is true, if you get paid to do reviews it's stupid (why look stupid in your own reviews) and disrespectful for the brand you are reviewing. Just pray next time you go to the doctor that the doctor does his job better then reviewer.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #273 on: November 04, 2023, 06:26:01 am »

Well any pro user will take shots on site, then edit analyze them. Quickly changing conditions demand editing later.
Comparing different palettes also demand editing later.
You seem to be oblivious to the fact that different people use the product for very different purposes.
For example I, and likely many others here, use it on the bench, not on site, typically for relative measurements for realtime faultfinding.

To make broad statements about what 'any pro user' would or would do is meaningless without context of the application.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2023, 05:05:42 pm »
Mine will be delivered next week. Any suggestions for use on Linux? Will a 6.2 Kernel already have the drivers I need?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf