Author Topic: The ever changing and developing thermal imaging scene Time for me to 'retire'  (Read 1460 times)

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The ever changing and developing thermal imaging scene.......

I have been involved with exotic imaging systems, including thermal, for a very long time. It has been very interesting for me to observe the changes in the thermal imaging market and user base over that period of time.

Thermal imaging used to be the preserve of Industry, Science and then Military due to complexity and equipment cost. As more affordable portable imaging equipment became available we saw the fire services around the World embrace the technology as an aid to their fine work. Advances in the technology reduced both the cost of ownership and size of the imaging equipment. They became akin to camcorder designs and grew in capabilities with each new generation. Pretty soon the leaders in the thermal imaging equipment manufacturing industry saw the opportunity to sell vast numbers of 'thermal cameras' to an array of new customers in varying markets. Initially these markets were professional and semi-professional, due to camera prices. A thermal camera was such a large financial investment that most everyday members of the public could not justify such expenditure or recover the investment over time.

Then a major revolution occurred in the thermal imaging industry...... the thermal camera technology had advanced to the point where it could be manufactured and sold at prices more in line with what a member of the public could afford, and be willing to pay for such a capability. Many of us have witnessed the relatively fast development and expansion in the consumer based market. Cameras have been produced in many varied formats in an effort to seek out (no pun intended) market opportunities that would pay healthy dividends. As the technology has continued to develop at a pace we have seem amazing levels of miniaturisation and price reduction. Thermal imaging cameras are well and truly within the financial grasp of the 'common' man/woman :) I have been very pleased to see this development of the technology and, whilst disappointed by some products, I am generally impressed with what has been achieved over the last five years :)

The formats of thermal imaging equipment have changed beyond all recognition compared to the imaging equipment that I cut my teeth on. We started with large heavy box utilitarian camera designs and we have progressed to sleek, ergonomic and attractive camcorder or Pistol grip styles. Added to that there has been a minor revolution in Dongle format thermal cameras. Bright minds have recognised the ever increasing computing power of modern Smart phones and harnessed such to produce highly capable miniaturised thermal camera solutions. Granted the dongle format does not suit everyone, but it is just another format to choose from amongst the many available. We have seen the explosion in the Consumer and Professional Drone aerial vehicle market of recent. Thermal camera manufacturers have recognised a potential new market segment that may be exploited and they are beginning to chase it. New compact but rugged camera formats will result. The automotive industry shares many of the requirements for a robust thermal camera so we can foresee the development of camera designs in parallel between the drone and motor vehicle markets. Such joined up development can only be a good thing for the end users.

At 51 I am somewhat of a dinosaur in the modern electronics and computing World. I sometimes feel a bit like the Replicant "Roy Batty" played by Rutger Hauer at the end of Blade Runner (The original film).

https://youtu.be/HU7Ga7qTLDU

I have seen much of interest during my life but there comes a time when one gets tired and in the topic of this post, technology moves so quickly that you are left behind. I can see this happening to me with each new generation of thermal camera technology that is released. The modern World of advanced integration, complex software and amazing DSP have me scratching my head ! Similar advancements are happening all around us. The technology is advancing so quickly that it needs very agile minds to keep up with it. This 51 year old 'old school' tech with M.E. is feeling his age ! I can tear down most mechanical and electronic equipment without a service manual, I can often repair such and re-assemble ready for service. I loved disassembling all manner of technology as a job and a hobby. In my career I became a Manager and so had to hang up my office 'soldering iron' . I kept current with technology through my hobby repairing and creating. I now look at the Workd we live in with respect to technology and I feel very antiquated. Who really cares how well a piece of consumer electronics is built any more ? Who truly cares what chipset resides inside and how the result is achieved ? Many users are often only interested in buying a 'turn key' solution that outputs "X" and that they can connect to "Y" in order to use it. People like simple solutions and who can blame them. Some owners are able to improve products by reverse engineering the code within them or writing new code to make the most of the hardware. The world of SDR has shown us all how powerful a 'simple' hardware front end & powerful computer combination can be when used with well written software. I can see thermal imaging technology taking a similar path, as has already begun with the dongle type cameras.

So dear friends, I am thinking that we are very fortunate to have benefitted from the great advances in the thermal imaging technology and associated price reductions. I also think that my time has come to step back and let the 'youngsters' share their experiences and knowledge of the new technologies that they understand far better than me. I will lurk in the background in case ever needed, but it is time for me to concentrate on other matters in life. I do not think I will be producing any more teardown posts of older thermal cameras as they are just not that relevant any more.

Enjoy this wonderous technology and help to improve it, where able,  :-+

Now to flog off 80 thermal cameras ........ just kidding ....... well maybe 60 or so can go  ;D (now wouldn't that be a sight on eBay!  ;D )

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:50:30 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
I have entered he world just two years ago and it fascinats me. To me it's sad that I missed all the history and basically joined up to the topic at it's modern day state of tiny microbolometers and very affordable cameras.
Not compareable, but maybe a guidance in consumer cameras. Early digital and analog electronic cameras have become obsolete and useless by now, only he optics have been harvested. But nearly 200 years of analog camera are getting a 'hipster' renaissance right now - sadly you don't have that for thermal cameras.

The topic of thermal cameras has influenced me from enough that I pursue a higher education and career in research and development, especially on the computational software end, once I finish school next year. It could still change and I want to gain direct experience with an internship somehow.

Enjoy your partial retirement

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Your writing makes me feel kind of sad, but it's the truth.
Never been involved in thermal imaging as you, but other fields of technology (like computers, microcontrollers, analog circuitry, ...), todays technology is advancing at a very fast pace, demanding a lot of effort to follow even in a narrowed down field. And with increasing complexity and integration density, things start to get less interesting. E.g., many people complained about LTC beeing swallowed by ADI, but tbh, there wasn't any new interesting product or publication from LTC in the past five years or so. Just more integration of well-known functions, nothing revolutionary.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf