Author Topic: FLIR Thermovision 320 Industrial thermal cameras + Teardown  (Read 843 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Two very nice industrial thermal cameras have been added to my collection this week  :-+

They are FLIR Thermovision 320 QVGA Industrial cameras designed for integration into ‘systems’ that require thermal imaging capabilities. These camera models were often to be found in the helicopter mounted stabilised gimbal pods used by law enforcement. They are high frame rate units.
The camera is basically a very rugged variant of the FLIR PM series cameras minus the keypad and EVF. Built to survive very harsh conditions and to be easily integrated into Professional applications.

The camera has only two external ports, the 10 pin Power/communications LEMO port and the BNC composite video port. The LEMO port provides digital communications with a Host via its RS232 and TAXI connectivity. The RS232 is used to control the camera using ASCII commands from the remote handset or a suitable software package. The TAXI digital port is used to pass radiometric image data to to a Host that is equipped with a TAXI PCMCIA card or via the “FLIR Parallel interface” to an Industrial video capture card. Various software packages were provided for control of the camera  and processing of the image data. Researcher 2.x was often used with these cameras. The BNC connector provides a live composite video feed to a field monitor or to a central monitoring point. It may also be used to record or transmit (RF) the video feed if required.

There is a small cover on the rear of the camera that is held in place by two screws. A PCMCIA PC Card port resides behind this cover. This may be used for local recording of imagery and PCMCIA PC Card to Compact Flash card adapters may be used (<1GB / FAT16)

The camera contains a BAE microbolometer that is illuminated by a large Germanium lens assembly that provides motorised focus and a 24 Degree HFOV. Supplemental lenses were offered for 45 Degree HFOV and 12 Degree HFOV. The lenses contain magnets that identify themselves to the camera (via HALL Effect sensors) so that the calibration may be maintained using lens transmission corrections.

The electronics package within the Thermovision 320 is basically the same as that found in other PM series cameras, such as the PM570. I have previously described such an electronics package  in my PM570 teardown.

These cameras are both in excellent condition and working well. To control them I use a FLIR breakout box, power adapter and official FLIR PM series remote control handset. The menu system is typical PM series format and these cameras identified themselves as the desirable 320M models that are fully radiometric  :-+ I have all of the Host interfaces to connect these cameras to a PC or laptop so can use FLIR Researcher software with them. The firmware in both cameras is dated 2001 so they are ~23 years old, but built to last ! They cost a small fortune when new and used very high quality components more often found in military grade equipment.

I count myself fortunate to receive these two cameras with the 45 degree HFOV supplemental lenses fitted. The cameras came with two Watec miniature 1/2” sensor 902K low light cameras. Evidence suggests that the Thermovision 320M cameras were used in the same application as the Watec 902K’s. They appear to have been well protected within a sealed housing, hence their great condition.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 02:02:06 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: Miek

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR Thermovision 320 Industrial thermal cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 03:03:29 pm »
The Thermovision 320 is based on the electronics and lens package of the Thermovision PM series. A teardown of a PM570 may be seen here…..

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-pm570-professional-thermal-camera-teardown-and-design-commentary-by-fraser/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 04:59:58 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 03:21:22 pm »
The accessories needed to power and control the Thermovision 320 are pictured below.

The breakout box enables the connection of the power adapter and remote control handset to a camera that has only one LEMO port. It also provides a RS232 port for Host remote control. Such a breakout box is 100% passive and a DIY version may be constructed. Sadly the required 2B-310 LEMO connectors are very expensive.

The remote control handset contains a small embedded computer that sends ASCII commands to the camera via RS232. An alternative remote control may be built using an common Audio Visual RS232 control panel that is then programmed with the Thermovision ASCII commands.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 04:43:28 pm »
Casing paint restoration begins !

The cameras casings are in great condition but sadly a few paint chips have occurred during or after decommissioning. Such is not unexpected and in situations where only minor paint touch-up is needed, I normally match the paint and repair the chips. If a camera is showing its age and use, I tend to leave it “as-is” rather than completely repaint it. Industrial thermal imaging cameras are a bit like real 4x4 vehicles such as the venerable Landrover Defender….. they wear their ‘battle scars’ with pride  :-+

I use enamel paints from Humbrol and Revell for my paint restoration tasks. Colour matching is relatively simple and the paint is easy to use whilst being tough when fully dry. Humbrol changed their paint recipe in 2022 in response the EU prohibiting one of the chemicals used in their paint. As a result, I am told, the new paint has poorer opacity and so more than one coat may be required.
Thankfully most of my Humbrol paints are pre-2022.

Note my use of coffee stirring sticks as colour sticks to check the paints colour match. Darned useful little sticks in many applications….. paint sample and stirring sticks, 2-part epoxy mixing sticks, label removal stick (non scratch) and many other uses including ‘prodding’ things !  ;D

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 10:33:49 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 05:40:11 pm »
If anyone finds one of these cameras at a sensible price, do not be afraid of it. The user manual, communications protocol manual and all that is required to drive it is in the public domain. They are a robust and reliable design that I know well. The only common failure that I find at this age is the lithium RTC battery becoming discharged. This can be replaced but soldering skills may be required.  I replace a lot of RTC batteries and, whilst not as simple as in many laptops, it need not be feared.

Note that there are 3 versions of this particular Thermovision 320 camera…. ‘V’, ‘M’ and ‘C’. The differences are detailed in the user manual that is available for free from FLIR’s manuals archive. The ‘V’ version is intended for CCTV applications and is not capable of temperature measurement. The ‘M’ and ‘C’ versions are fully radiometric and provide accurate temperature measurements. The only simple way to know the version is to power the camera with a monitor connected and see what the boot screen says about the camera firmware. Mine say “320M”.

There are other variants of this camera that look very similar but differ in connectivity or specifications. The Alert series can be used for process monitoring and, with some versions, process control. They have some additional software running in them for this capability and can connect to various RS422 ‘ADAM’ based systems.

Sadly these cameras are very anonymous looking from the outside and the ID plate does not help much as I could not find the part numbers listed against model version. If you want a particular camera version you will need to find a way to power the camera. It just needs 12V to 14V to be applied to the correct power pins on the 10 pin LEMO connector and the camera will boot. No commands are needed from the remote controller to start the camera. The boot screen will be displayed on the monitor but no other functionality will be available without a remote controller or appropriate software on a RS232 equipped PC. After the boot screen the camera calibrates and  configures itself. It may or may not produce a useful thermal image at this point and focus cannot be set on the camera. A means to tell the camera to auto set level & span or allow manual setting of such is needed. The same controller also provides focus control. These cameras were designed to operate with local controllers or remote from the point of control/monitoring. In this sense, they are very versatile.

For information only. The two cameras with two 45 degree HFOV supplemental lenses, two Watec 902K low light cameras and 4 professional IR LED illuminators cost me £250. I have previously paid £200 for just one of the 45 degree HFOV supplemental lenses and that was a good price for that used lens ! Those supplemental lenses contain large chunks of Germanium and are of excellent quality.

Fraser

« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 10:38:10 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 09:19:39 pm »
Camera command set attached

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 09:37:22 pm »
Technical Drawings of the camera, RS232 remote control and supplemental 12 Degree HFOV and 45 Degree HFOV lenses.....

Update: Power/Data cable details added
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 09:54:22 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR Thermovision 320 Industrial thermal cameras + Teardown
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2024, 02:22:19 pm »
Teardown of a Thermovison 320M camera  :-+

The camera is easily opened after the removal of 6 socket head screws. Care is needed when separating the case halves as there are FPC cables connecting PCBA's in the two sides of the camera. Once the cables are disconnected, the camera separates into two with the Optical block, BAE microbolometer and associated video processor PCBA in one side and the main computer motherboard and power supply PCBA in the other side.

The Thermovision 320M contains a later version of the FLIR PM series computer motherboard (as found in the PM695) that uses a more tech friendly Dallas DS1643P RTC+RAM module. This version of the DS1643P uses a replaceable DS9034PCX "Powercap" that contains a lithium cell and 32KHz crystal.

Part of the power supply system is mounted on the microbolometer side of the camera casing. This is the same PCBA as used in the handheld cameras and the gold plated Ni-Mh battery pack contacts are still present.

Both of the Thermovision 320M cameras are equipped with the optional "Digital Output" PCBA (labelled "HITI") that converts the radiometric video to TAXI format for sending to a Host PC. 

Note the mechanics in the design of these cameras..... milled out aluminium casing halves and some nice engineering in the optical block that contains three large Germanium lens elements, the FFC flag, motorized focus (using movement of the middle lens element) and a motorized high temperature filter assembly. This assembly is anything but small, but it is very nice mechanical engineering and built to survive the rigours of industrial use. The internal focus design is a well thought out feature of the camera to permit the optics to be sealed safely within the casing with less chance of dirt contamination interfering with the moving parts.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 04:47:19 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2024, 02:23:51 pm »
Continued....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2024, 02:24:57 pm »
Continued.....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2024, 03:07:32 pm »
Final comment from the teardown. Using the IC data codes and that of the Dallas Powercap, it is evident that the camera was built in late 2002. The main computer motherboard appears to be the same as that found in the PM695 camera. I would expect the BAE microbolometer to be the more refined 3rd Generation module at that point in time. That is the microbolometer Generation used in the PM695 released in the year 2000.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 03:19:56 pm by Fraser »

Online Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2024, 08:36:59 pm »
Same detector as in the Micro-IR core 200/205 - BAe (ex Lockheed), or just same packaging ?  Obviously a different PCB set

Image attached of the OEM core for firefighting MSA5000, Argus3 (VOX/P4468)

Bill

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2024, 08:56:58 pm »
The 320M uses a 320 x 240 pixel 3rd Generation BAE SIM (Standard Imaging Module) microbolometer. The module packaging was the same for all three Generations used in FLIR PM series cameras. The FLIR PM570 camera was the first Preventative Maintenance Microbolometer based camera from FLIR and used the BAE 1st Generation SIM microbolometer. As to whether the 320M SIM is the same as used in the BAE 200/205 units, I cannot say. The Generation of SIM changed from 1st Generation to 3rd Generation over the period 1997 to 2000. Whilst the 1st Generation was very capable, there was further development to improve Spatial and Temporal NETD.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 10:04:55 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2024, 09:31:34 pm »
Having looked at the datasheet for the BAE SIM205, it could well be the same microbolometer module in the Thermovision 320M or the later SIM300H.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 09:39:25 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2024, 09:59:26 pm »
I have yet to locate a sales brochure for the Thermovision 320M (but still searching) but the PM695 of the year 2000 appears to share the same electronics and optical package. In this PM695 brochure (dated 2000) mention is made of the 3rd Generation microbolometer that it uses. Sadly that is all that is said about the microbolometer as FLIR did not make their use of BAE parts public at the time. The Thermovision 320M cameras that I have appear to be a 2001/2002 release.

https://www.termogram.com/pdf/695.pdf

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 09:45:25 am by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf