Author Topic: FLIR ONE PERSONAL THERMAL IMAGING DEVICE FOR YOUR iPHONE5 & 5s  (Read 102993 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: FLIR ONE PERSONAL THERMAL IMAGING DEVICE FOR YOUR iPHONE5 & 5s
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:41 am »
Lepton datasheet on Pure Engineering page
http://www.pureengineering.com/projects/lepton
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3wmCw6bdPqFdXI1bEFnOHdWZTQ

Note I believe the Lepton in the Flir One may have different firmware to that described in this datasheet - I've only had a brief play but couldn't get most of the commands working.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2014, 09:48:31 am »
:P :P :P :P

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:18 pm »
@Mike,

FLIR have learnt from past experience then........They likely realised that people would harvest LEPTON cores from their mass produced FLIR )ne and thought they would make life difficult for any OEM thinking of redeploying it ? The high price of the LEPTON core (as an individual component) likely reflects its 'enhanced' instruction set. Marketing, Marketing, Marketing  :(  The SEEK device will have a great following if the price remains so reasonable !

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2014, 01:21:32 pm »
@Mike,

FLIR have learnt from past experience then........They likely realised that people would harvest LEPTON cores from their mass produced FLIR )ne and thought they would make life difficult for any OEM thinking of redeploying it ? The high price of the LEPTON core (as an individual component) likely reflects its 'enhanced' instruction set. Marketing, Marketing, Marketing  :(  The SEEK device will have a great following if the price remains so reasonable !

Aurora
My guess would be rather more prosaic - get the F1 out the door with the minimum firmware to make it work, then finish the rest later!

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2014, 07:49:48 am »
The high price of the LEPTON core (as an individual component) likely reflects its 'enhanced' instruction set.
How much does Lepton module costs in those minimum 1000 orders ONLY based on Flir page?
Is it possible to buy a few such modules somewhere for testing to make working prototype while Flir One might have diffrent firmware, so not a way to go when someone wanted make it as part of consumer product ?

Just starting reading its latest datasheet, but from this Flir One teardown looks like that MSX and final image combined with second visual camera (close to IR one) edges/countours & IR thermal is made inside Lepton module or it is part of another MCU software controling user iterface?
Visual image can be send to Lepton module and merged with IR there, while somewhere were written that Lepton module is MSX compatible?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:52:04 am by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:59 am »
The high price of the LEPTON core (as an individual component) likely reflects its 'enhanced' instruction set.
How much does Lepton module costs in those minimum 1000 orders ONLY based on Flir page?
Is it possible to buy a few such modules somewhere for testing to make working prototype while Flir One might have diffrent firmware, so not a way to go when someone wanted make it as part of consumer product ?

Just starting reading its latest datasheet, but from this Flir One teardown looks like that MSX and final image combined with second visual camera (close to IR one) edges/countours & IR thermal is made inside Lepton module or it is part of another MCU software controling user iterface?
Visual image can be send to Lepton module and merged with IR there, while somewhere were written that Lepton module is MSX compatible?
Current Lepton OEM price is $250, but reduces a lot at high volumes. MSX on the F1 is done by an ARM processor - Lepton has no facility to do it internally.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:41 am »
Mike, how exactly is the temperature calculated from the lepton camera. It spits out directly temperature data and then the mcu maps the color over the temperature range?

Alexander.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2014, 09:17:46 am »
Is it possible for someone to combine x lepton sensors to acquire more resolution? E.g. to monitor objects away from the sensors.

Alexander.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2014, 02:18:28 pm »
Current Lepton OEM price is $250, but reduces a lot at high volumes.
Probably optymistic 1000 machines with this Lepton OEM is not high volume and no chance anyway go below $100 for this unit.
While this thing it is for sport  entertainment and training toy it coud be perfect to go with total price below $333, nope it looks like classic visual camera or tricky usage of this MLX90614 Digital, plug & play, infrared thermometer in a TO-can will have to do the job for the moment ;)

BTW: When do you plan to make Seek Thermal teardown and hacking?  ;D
It could be nice to see kernel logs and try use it as regular thermal video source when atached not to Android but classic Linux with USB OTG built in into kernel...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:22:40 pm by eneuro »
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2014, 02:43:52 pm »
Soon as I get my hands on one - already on order in US ready to cross the Atlantic as soon as they start shipping :D 

Offline imau

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:22 pm »
Soon as I get my hands on one - already on order in US ready to cross the Atlantic as soon as they start shipping :D

How did you order it? Someone helped you, right?

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2014, 08:27:16 pm »
They already have a placeholder on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/field-brandtextbin=Seek&node=228013
I hope price goes down to 199$ when the (android) module will be in stock...

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:28 am »
Lepton software command spec is now at the Pure Engineering site
http://www.pureengineering.com/projects/lepton

Offline vincentwrath

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2014, 12:02:50 pm »
something makes me feel weird. I use flir tool to export two thermal images to csv formats, one from a hacked e4, the other from flir one. after viewing them,I found they are so much the same.  is there anything else to find about the tiny lepton sensor ? or is just some phantom? sorry for my poor english.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »
80x60 image upscaling to the more common and useful 320x240 format for export ?

The Visible light camera used for MSX is higher resolution than the LEPTON so some upscaling is needed to overlay one on the other anyway.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline devilmastah

• Contributor
    • My blog (which i should update more often)
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2014, 05:56:12 pm »
Hi guys,

i have some news on the flir one, i spent some time looking at the iPhone app and found that the temperature range is limited in the app itself instead of the camera.
I was able to unlock a temperature range of -40 to 150 degrees C in the iPhone app.

What also is interesting is that there is a huge amount of config files regarding the image smoothing, upscaling /interpolation + other palettes that can simply be added.

My question now is, why doesn't flir give us the full potential to their camera?

edit:
i guess i should lock firmware upgrading two now this is out
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:37:17 pm by devilmastah »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2014, 06:27:14 pm »
My question now is, why doesn't flir give us the full potential to their camera?

That will probably be reserved for the Flir Two.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2014, 11:04:25 pm »
I was able to unlock a temperature range of -40 to 150 degrees C in the iPhone app.

How did you unlocked the temperature range?
(editing the plist?)

Offline vincentwrath

• Contributor
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:39 am »

the idea of changing the app really inspired me. by changing the flir one app.I gain 5 new existing palettes including blackhot and other 4 strange looking one. I also find it's super easy to add any custome emissivities to the app.

firstly.open the flir one app with winRAR

then. download and intall a small program called plisteditor,open a file palettes.plist, and in FLIR ONE-1.1.3\Payload\Rosebud.app\CameraFiles\bin  you can find all exsisting palettes, following its format and it shouldn't be a problem to unlock all
of them.

personally, I think it's easy to make a palettes of your own.

find and open the file emissivity.plist and you can add any custome emissivities you want.

still I don't know how to unlock the temperature limits,still more to be found I assume.

Offline devilmastah

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2014, 09:13:41 am »

How did you unlocked the temperature range?
(editing the plist?)

This is sadly not in a plist file. It is hardcoded in the app itself, i disassembled it with ida and did some hex editing on the app file itself.
I could try to recompile it into a IPA file and upload it somewhere. But i dont want any conflicts.

Maybe i should just put the changes up in here + the location of the changes, so anyone can freely hex edit its own app file.
Currently at work, will do that this evening:)

@vincentwrath, nice job, i have them all as well, and i am trying to make my own palettes, but they are not in RGB it seems, at least a palett editor wont read them

There seems to be some other interesting stuff as well, i saw something about a histogram in the app code as well. I will check if i can unlock that somehow next weekend when i have some time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:20:40 am by devilmastah »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2014, 09:32:32 am »
@vincentwrath, nice job, i have them all as well, and i am trying to make my own palettes, but they are not in RGB it seems, at least a palett editor wont read them
Flir palettes tend to be stored as YUV

Offline devilmastah

• Contributor
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:45 am »
Any suggestion on an editor thats capable of reading that?

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2014, 01:38:12 pm »
Flir palettes tend to be stored as YUV
Whis is the size of those palettes-more than 8bit (256) indexed RGB colors?

Just implemented in my thermal interface support for 8bit, 10bit, 14bit and 16bit Iron thermal LUT, so maximum size is for 16bit  65536 entries.
They are made as parametric channels R(x) G(x) B(x) for 0>x<1 real number functions and when needed LUT tables created on the fly in interface software, so no need to store them and unlimited pallete size possible.

Did anyone tried to apply thermal paletes at higher resolution - I'mean not 256 colors (8bit) but 10bit (1024) and more on thermal output images?
-||-|-

Offline Starman

• Contributor
  • It's Just Magic
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »
Hello

I have had my Flir One for a while now, and have wondered why it did not have a larger temp range and more pallets.
I think Flir did not enable these because it did not want the Flir One to be too close in specs to the E4.

When the Flir One was announced i only had, and still only have an Iphone 5C. I ordered the Flir One and modified a 5C hard plastic case to fit the Flir One. I suspect the Flir One will also work with an Ipod touch 5th gen since it is the same size as an iphone 5 or 5S.

To @vincentwrath
I am still unclear how you were able to make the changes you did. Do you have to have a Jailbroken Iphone ? Do you need a Mac computer  to do this. I only have a windows PC. I would like to understand this process more so i can try the changes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf