Author Topic: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120  (Read 58126 times)

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
Re: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 04:11:22 am »
Lucky the app is only a "few" lines behind the original Flir One app with the keywords "thermal camera" or "Flir One". (at least in my version of the playstore results [I use a different Google account for the development])

I will hope to improve my listing by tweaking my description a bit and getting a bit more downloads (I'm still pretty young with my app). So let's see what happens. :D

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:33 am »
Great work gansgar.

Super resolution mode .... Whoa, that is better than can be achieved with any of my professional Cameras. I cannot wait to see that mode added.

The F1G2 has suddenly become far more interesting now that there is some decent software for it that continues to develop.

I am still well chuffed about this software running so well on my Atom based tablet. It runs really smoothly and no issue with it yet.

On my Moto G Mk1 and Moto E Mk2 I have had the application lose communications with the camera and a complete restart of the app and camera is needed to correct the situation.

Keep up the great work. It is very much appreciated and if you decide to charge for the fully fledged application, I will certainly buy it.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Davecltl

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 11:13:19 pm »
Just tried this app on my s5 and it works great. I didn't even realize the flir app was reducing the resolution. Will be using and testing this app some more!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:04 pm »
I have been using this app for a few days now and still love it's improvements over the OEM I mates. For me the ability to switch off MSX has been key. The uncropped image is a bonus feature.

The fact that this app runs on my Intel Atom based tablet also made this an absolute winner in my eyes. FLIR need to learn from this app and produce a new generation of their offering. Come on FLIR, offer full resolution, MSX off mode and write it in JAVA !

Thanks again for making this great app available to us. Now let's hope someone equally clever can come up with a Windows Program so the camera can be used on a PC as well. That would increase its versatility even more.

Fraser

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:24 pm »
The problem is, that you cannot write it in Java. Java is muuch to slow for that task. What they could do is shrinking and optimising their code, so that they can be surre, that it even runs on an Intel Core.

Thanks. :D

The Windows port would be an interesting task. And I would love to this, but I "only" have a Unix system. And for that specific task there is a solution available.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 11:53:33 pm »
Ooooops my mistake, I thought your App was written in JAVA.

Sadly FLIR have made it clear that they have no intention of producing an App that is compatible with any Intel based phones or tablets. They are designing their App to work with what they consider to be a mainstream platform, namely the Samsung S5 or equivalent. They also have zero interest in producing a Windows program that can communicate with the F1G2. How nice it would have been if FLIR TOOLS had a plugin for F1G2 camera communications. An opportunity missed ?

I know that there have been many meetings held to thrash out what the F1G2 will and will not be capable of........ we can only assume that FLIR have some firm views on this LEPTON platform and exactly how it will integrate into their range of cameras.

You have made it far more useful to me now though. You have my sincere thanks.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:12:29 am by Fraser »

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 11:57:20 pm »
You're right. My app right now is programmed in Java. But in the moment I would like to implement things like MSX, upscaling, ... . I would be dead with pure Java. That's the reason why I currently thinl about switching to the OpenCV library, which is completely programmed in C (don't fear it. I will include all possible architectures that can support my app, so that it will run on Intel too).

Offline Davecltl

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 12:17:38 am »
I'm find that not having MSX is actually quite nice in many situations. But having a toggle for or slider will mean never using the flir app again, which seems to exit/crash randomly. The super resolution sounds quite interesting and i'm certainly looking forward to that. The current version had no issues for about 30 minutes of use, Thanks very much for the app gansgar!

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:09 am »
^^. I actually watched the behaviour, that the Flir SDK crashes randomly when I want to initialise a new device. Experienced that with the simulator and I'm not sure if it's also doing so with the real camera. The problem is: If you ever include C code inside your Java project there's no way that you can catch those errors.

For those who are interested. I'm trying to implement the SR method described by [1]. The problem is, that I current don't have a working sample and first tried to understand it with help of some Matlab code (Dry, because I don't own Matlab). The result presented by the paper are looking promising, but I assume that I will have a limited amount of profit from that due to performance limitations. Luckly the algorithm in the paper can be fine tuned to the available calculation power, in cost of quality. Also (as many might think), is our brain actually quiet good in doing a kind of super resolution in the head. It will be useful for still images, that you can save, which is probably the way I'll go. A kind of mode, where you see the finished SR image and a live thermal view and the app ask you to hold still to collect some data. But I don't know yet where I'll end up ^^. But what I can promise you: Super resolution will come, at least for still images.  ;D

[1] : "Fast and Robust Multiframe Super Resolution" - http://people.duke.edu/~sf59/SRfinal.pdf

Online JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 02:43:37 pm »
If you have not already considered it, you may be able to run the MATLAB(TM) code in Octave. I don't do this a lot these days, but I have had a pretty good success rate in the past, often being able to run MATLAB code in Octave with little or no modification. Octave also has a decent GUI option now, as well.

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »
I know I tried it, but the GUI method used in the script doesn't exist in Octave sadly

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 02:30:43 am »
Okay guys some updates:

First and the most important one. A NEW UPDATE. This time officially Flir one approved. This update is not only updating the app icon (watch out), but is also adding the exponential smoothing feature. I also did some corrections how I manage unsupported devices, you will now be greeted with a more informative error message.

And secondly, I could finally get the SR program in octave running. I just didn't got some images so far, where I could really show you the effectivity, but I got the same results for my test data sets as they got in their Matlab program. [1]
I also published the code on Github [2]. It is not something nice, but I only wanted to save somebody the time to understand the original code and created a small wrapper script. You only need to edit the script.m file. But you need to have Octave installed!

After trying it out on my PC, I assume, that it will not be working in real time on an Android Phone. I will properly end up rendering the frame in a semi live view. (Every second 1 frame) and replace the current visible light image with the live thermal view. If you now take a picture it will render the SR image in Background with a higher quality and will also save the thermal image from that moment. SR looks most of the time really good, but sometimes it has its problems with fragments that are clearly visible in the picture. The whole thing will be its own mode that you can switch on and off.

[1] http://www1.idc.ac.il/toky/videoProc-07/projects/SuperRes/srproject.html
[2] https://github.com/Gansgar/FastRobustSR

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 02:40:03 am »
Thanks for the update :)

Fraser

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 02:52:09 am »
I'm working now on an app that has TONS of features, and will be light-years beyond even the FLIR One SDK sample app.  It's about 95% done now. It is called "FOne Ultimate". I would have called it "FLIR One Ultimate", except that would probably get me sued by FLIR for violating their trademark.

It outputs 16bit grayscale TIF files for Raw14bit thermal, and radiometric centikelvin-scale thermal images
It outputs 32bit RGB BMP files for thermal IR (aligned and cropped) image, MSX (aligned and cropped) image, and visible light (aligned and cropped) image.
The only format that it saves as a compressed JPG file is the full size (not cropped) visible light JPEG image.

It correctly rotates all of the image formats (except the JPEG format) to be aligned with the orientation you are holding your phone (portrait, reverse portrait, landscape, or reverse landscape). I have yet to figure out how to properly have the FLIR One SDK's FrameProcessor object correctly rotate any of the FLIR One image formats (raw or JPEG) at all, but have my own function for rotating the images when they provide you with the raw bytes of image data (anything that I can save as TIF or BMP), which is available for all formats except the visible light JPEG image, hence the reason I cannot correctly rotate that image. You will need to provide your own image editing software to correctly rotate that image, unless I find another way to do it.

The 16bit grayscale TIF and 32bit BGRX BMP saving functions are my own, as neither FLIR One SDK, nor Android SDK have functions that allow me to save BMP or TIF files. I also had to create my own byte-swapping functions, as the BMP specification calls for little endian-byte order for all multi-byte values, and of course the Android system uses big-endian multi-byte values. Also I had to write my own red-blue channel swapper for this, as BMP files are stored with the blue channel first, rather than the red channel.

I also used the endian byte swapping functions to create little-endian TIF files (even though the TIFF specification also allows for big-endian), as the app is intended to be a thermal data-gathering platform for Android, but with the idea that the captured files will be used on a desktop or laptop PC (which of course are little-endian systems). Any TIF writer software I write for the PC is going to be written with the intent of using it with these thermal image files, and don't plan to create the extra overhead of making my PC TIF reading software capable of handling both big and little endian TIF files (though the official TIFF specs say readers need to be able to do both). In light of this fact that I won't be doing any byte-swapping at the TIF file reader end of things, I need to perform byte-swapping at the TIF file writer end of things.

And then there's one more feature that my app provides that NO OTHER app for the FLIR One yet provides. This is the ability to record a video that can handle even 16bits per pixel frames. The official FLIR One app can save MP4 video, but (at least on my phone) it lags SO BAD after a couple seconds that the video I'm seeing 1 minute after the recording started represents events that happened about 10 seconds after the recording started, and to see events that happened about 20 seconds after the recording started, I have to wait about 2 minutes for the preview screen to catch up. Yep, it's THAT MUCH of a lag. I think the problem is the time it takes to compress a frame means the CPU can't display anything while it's running the MPEG4 compressor (maybe they didn't implement multithreading correctly or something). Maybe my phone is just slow, but even then, MPEG4 has a big problem. It DOES NOT SUPPORT 16bits per pixel frames.

My app does not have either problem. It doesn't use another thread for frame writing, but it still has NO LAG, and this is because it doesn't waste time performing MPEG4 compression on the frames. Instead it writes all of its frames by saving the raw pixel data directly to the file. And this also means that unlike with MPEG4 it CAN handle 16bits per pixel images that are needed to hold the raw thermal data for the raw14bit images and the centikelvin thermal images. How does it do this? Well it's pretty simple actually. I invented my own video file format. I call it Ben's Video Format, and files saved in this format have a .bvf file extension. Unlike AVI files, which have quite a complicated structure, BVF video files have a MINIMAL HEADER. The structure of the header is simple (note that all multi-byte values are, once again, in little-endian byte order,) and is as follows:
ascii string FileID (this should always be "BVF ", and that's a space at the end, not a null character, as it's a 4byte fixed-length string)
int FrameWidth
int FrameHeight
short ChannelsPerPixel (valid values are 1, 3, or 4)
short BytePerChannel (valid values are 1 or 2)
int FrameCount
short FrameRateNumerator (this should always be 88 (58 hex) for FLIR One video
short FrameRateDenominator (this should always be 10 (0A hex) for FLIR One video)
int Reserved (this may be used in future versions of this file format for extending the header)

After this comes all the raw uncompressed bytes of the frames sequentially stored in the file. Unlike AVI there is no index to look up frame position. As it's all stored as uncompressed pixel data, you can easilly calculate the location in the file for any given frame by simply knowing the frame number you want, and the width, height, bytes per channel, and channels per pixel. All this information can be gotten in the header, and can be used during playback to easily calculate the size and offset of an uncompressed frame during playback. No need to waste space in the file generating an index. And as it doesn't need to waste time saving an index, that made it a LOT easier to program, as I don't need to figure out how to write the necessary code to store an index separately as the frames are being written, and then concatenate the index to the end of the file as is done with AVI files. Not only is it simpler in concept, and able to handle many 16bit's per pixel grayscale frames (which even AVI can't handle, despite its complexity) it's also MUCH easier for a developer to write software for than it is with AVI files. And if you want to have an index, a playback application can easily use the format information stored in the header to generate an in-memory index when the file is loaded, and then use this index during playback and/or seeking. As for supported pixel formats, they are as follows:
8bits per pixel grayscale (1chan-per-pix and 1byte-per-chan)
16bits per pixel grayscale (1chan-per-pix and 2-bytes-per-chan)
24bits per pixel RGB(3chans-per-pix and 1byte-per-chan)
48bits per pixel RGB(3chans-per-pix and 2bytes-per-chan)
32bits per pixel RGBX(4chans-per-pix and 1byte-per-chan)
64bits per pixel RGBX(4chans-per-pix and 2bytes-per-chan)
Note that with 4 channels the 4th channel is not actually alpha channel, and is simply ignored, which is why it's designated as X (unused), not A (alpha).
Note that of these 6 pixel formats that my BVF format supports, only 2 of them are used by my FLIR One app. These are 16bits per pixel grayscale, and 32bits per pixel color.

Currently in conjunction with this thermal app, I've also created my own PC application, using VB6, that can play these BVF video files. I'll describe the features of this player when I release it, which will be at the same time as I release my app.

And then there's a neat remote control feature in this app. I just finished working on that feature a couple days ago (been working on the app for about a month). This feature allows you to use your laptop or desktop PC to control the thermal imager app. It works by sending 5-character ascii commands over UDP protocol over a LAN to your smartphone. A Windows application that will actually issue these commands is something that I'm currently working on in VB6.

Then there's one more feature I'd like to add to my app, and I will start working on that next. That is streaming frames from the app over a TCP connection back to a desktop or laptop PC, so that when it is all done, my fully featured app will allow complete remote operation of the FLIR One device. In effect, this will turn any Android phone with the FLIR One device into a PC operated thermal imager, just like some of the very high end FLIR thermal images that cost thousands of $$$$. In security operations, it could be used as a LWIR nightvision security camera to see intruders in complete darkness, where it could be monitored and recorded by a DVR or security guard, just like a regular security camera. In industry, it could be used to remotely monitor the temperature of processes occurring in a machine in a factory.

Once I've finished and released this Android app, expect it to be followed by PC applications that take advantage of its remote control and frame streaming features.

Offline tomas123Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:39 am »
Hi Ben321,

great news.   :-+

some notes:

Currently in conjunction with this thermal app, I've also created my own PC application, using VB6, that can play these BVF video files.
Why create a new "Ben's Video Format", if you can use Flir owns Raw Video format *.seq?
The *.seq files are only stitched *.fff frames.

As you posted here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-fff-viewer-version-1-4/
you are an expert of the Flir *.fff format.

The *.fff frames had also only a minor file overhead and you can use it with uncompressed 16-Bit-RAW and also with compressed 16 bit PNG datas.

Encryptededdy posted here a nice video sample and a tutorial how to convert Opgal Therm App raw datas to a Flir *.seq video.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924
In this link you see, that you can open the *.seq video with the free PC Software Flir Tools and make some nice measurements.

Please post some image samples.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:35 pm »
In the next big update I will implement some picture enhancement algorithms like super resolution...

here is my first result by testing a "real time" super resolution algorithm with OpenCV

left side: Flir One 160x120 Lepton 3
right side: same image with super resolution

https://youtu.be/6-iRTvr0uAw

the youtube compression is really hard, it looks better in reality  :-\

compare this two screenshots from the video above (and don't forget that we have only 160x120 sensor!):

you see the cover of a ZBOX CI323 nano

and later a Raspberry Pi

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 02:15:14 am »
Hi tomas123,
What sort of machine is your OpenCV code running on? & how much cpu does it consume. Do you have any GPU acceleration?

Great work by the way. :clap:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 09:51:51 am »
Georg request me for assistance for his Thermal Camera App and this the first proof of concept for Super Resolution.
Georg still has no F1 G2 camera  :-\

For this proof of concept we wrote a small python script, optimized for low CPU performance of Android devices (or PcDuino3  ;) ).

It's a classical multi-frame super-resolution with
- registration (find the shifts)
- average (stacking)
- sharpen

For the registration I tested several methods of motion analysis with opencv library.
http://docs.opencv.org/2.4/modules/video/doc/motion_analysis_and_object_tracking.html
estimateRigidTransform make a great job (estimate rotations, translations and scaling)

A problem for stacking of images with large shifts or rotations is the great distortion of the F1 G2 lens.
Therefore I reduced the SR processing in the video above for scenes with minor shifts
(less than 4 pixel/frame => 36 pixel/second, with 56° hor. FOV -> 36/160*56 = 12° per second movement) 
... and this works  fine

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 06:36:03 pm »
Hi Ben321,

great news.   :-+

some notes:

Currently in conjunction with this thermal app, I've also created my own PC application, using VB6, that can play these BVF video files.
Why create a new "Ben's Video Format", if you can use Flir owns Raw Video format *.seq?
The *.seq files are only stitched *.fff frames.

As you posted here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-fff-viewer-version-1-4/
you are an expert of the Flir *.fff format.

The *.fff frames had also only a minor file overhead and you can use it with uncompressed 16-Bit-RAW and also with compressed 16 bit PNG datas.

Encryptededdy posted here a nice video sample and a tutorial how to convert Opgal Therm App raw datas to a Flir *.seq video.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924
In this link you see, that you can open the *.seq video with the free PC Software Flir Tools and make some nice measurements.

Please post some image samples.

I know about SEQ files. If I'm not mistaken, each SEQ file has its own FFF style header, and then a sequence of FFF files withing the SEQ file. Each of these embedded FFF files of course has its own FFF header.

While the portions of the FFF header that are needed in FFF files have been reverse engineered, the FFF style header that is used as the main header of SEQ files has not yet been reverse engineered. And to top it all off, there is a HUGE amount of overhead in a correctly written FFF file, as every correctly written FFF file has a camera info header pointed to by the main header. And let me tell you this, that camera info header is HUGE. It has like 100 fields in it. That's a truckload of code right there needed to write those headers. And to top it all off, there's no way to test the resulting SEQ file to make sure that it is in fact not corrupt (no errors in writing it), without using Research IR software. But guess what Research IR, unlike FLIR Tools, is commercial software, meaning you need to SPEND MONEY to get it. I don't want to buy some software, that my only use for it will be to test the file output from an app I'm writing.

For my own purposes, creating my own file format was the best option. And guess what, the amount of overhead in a BVF file is TINY compared to the amount of overhead in an SEQ file, as SEQ files are basically an FFF header followed by a sequence of embedded FFF files, and the overhead in FFF files is HUGE.

And guess what, my VB6 program that loaded with FFF files does not deal with all that overhead. It doesn't read the camera info header, so it doesn't have all the info it needs to actually calculate temperature. That program is just concerned with displaying the raw image, being able to save the raw image in more commonly used file formats (PNG or TIF), and being able to save the image as displayed in a BMP file. That's VERY simple compared to actually handling all of that camera info header.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:17 am »
FLIR Tools will read .seq files.

The SEQ files doesn't need any kind of special header in addition to the standard FFF header except for 2 bytes for defining the frame rate.

You can literally binary copy a sequence of FFF files into a single SEQ file and it will work just fine.

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 04:41:29 pm »
Little bug:

If the picture has even a one pixel showing over 105 or 110 deg C (outside the range), the thermal scale goes flat and pretty much everything, cold or hot shows ups as orange with iron palette. The outside of range shows as blue/black.

Maybe it should not affect the range and instead show up as something else?
The flir MSX just shows it as hot and the scaling does not break.

I was checking how frame welds were showing up on camera.

Same effect shows up when testing it on 60W bulb. No pics of the frame as the camera saves the MSX image, only found out just now.
Bulb before waming up
Bulb after waming up
The small end of the scale is Not a Number.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
FLIR Tools will read .seq files.

The SEQ files doesn't need any kind of special header in addition to the standard FFF header except for 2 bytes for defining the frame rate.

You can literally binary copy a sequence of FFF files into a single SEQ file and it will work just fine.

Actually if you open an SEQ file in a hex editor, you see it directly starts out with its own FFF header. This is what you see:
FFF.MTX IR
That "." is actually ascii null (0x00 byte).

So yes, SEQ files DO start with their own FFF header (not the header of the first FFF frame, but rather its own FFF header for the SEQ file).

So where do these 2 bytes that define frame rates go? Where in the file (offset from the start of the file) are these 2 bytes that you say define the frame rate?

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 03:41:27 am »
It will work without the special FFF header.

If you take a look at my post here that tomas linked: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924

You can see it's 8 bytes in front of FocusDistance in the FFF file.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:43 am »
It will work without the special FFF header.

If you take a look at my post here that tomas linked: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924

You can see it's 8 bytes in front of FocusDistance in the FFF file.

Sorry, but I don't know how to read the output of Image Magick or whatever software that was you used to reverse engineer the SEQ files. Maybe you can just post a simple explanation here, without linking to something with a lot of console readout, that I can't figure out.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 06:09:22 am »
It's 8 bytes in front of where "FocusDistance" is stored in the fff file. The precise location may differ depending on the camera (I assume newer cameras have more metadata fields for MSX calibration etc.) but in my example I located where FocusDistance was using exiftool

and then found where the framerate was stored

I'm pretty sure that the exact offset will always be in the same place in the FFF provided the images are coming from the same camera.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf