Author Topic: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120  (Read 58134 times)

Offline valere

• Contributor
    • Instants perdus (photo)
Re: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »
The crashing while connecting with the Flir One it's a pain (particularly while switching between apps).
Georg can't improve this stability, because the complete handling of the Flir One and the USB handshake it's part of the Flir SDK.
This is a closed and precompiled library (armeabi-v7a/libsystemimage.so).

There are some Android phones, which works great and some devices are more unstable   :(

This is indeed a real p*** in.... the  |O , on the Amazon Fire 7 (2015), it depends of the time of the day, temperature and so... I believe it depends which app is in "autostart when usb device connected" and which is "authorized by default to use this specific usb device" -> need a way in Android to give authorization to multiple app and none as default launching (but... I can't complain, I first need to get ride of Fire OS and see what's a Cyanogen Android or something like that can do). It seems to be mid-android stupidity mid FLIR SDK issue.

I really dislike the fact that the FLIR SDK Library is a precompiled for Armeabi-v7a it's a real shame, since there is Android devices which are not Arm based, and other Arm instruction set will emerge... I was ready to download the SDK to look what I can do with It but I've an issue with my FLIR Account which I've partly created by downloading Flir Tools but not totally so I can't access yet to the all system.
Valere - Electronic Engineer - Autonomous robotic designer participating to French Robotic Cup / Eurobot (President of Association Sikula Robotik)
http://sikula-robotik.desbwa.org
http://youtube.com/sikularobotik

Offline tomas123Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »
good news, there is a Flir SDK update

CHANGE LOG

Fixes potential unexpected IllegalArgumentException when calling Device.stopDiscovery if the Context passed to startDiscovery had already completes its lifecycle.
Improves performance by reducing memory allocation and garbage collection for USB communication.

George told me, that the communication of the Thermal Camera+ (beta with SDK 1.2.8 ) with a Samsung Note USB is now "rock stable"...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:46:08 pm by tomas123 »

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
good news, there is a Flir SDK update

CHANGE LOG

Fixes potential unexpected IllegalArgumentException when calling Device.stopDiscovery if the Context passed to startDiscovery had already completes its lifecycle.
Improves performance by reducing memory allocation and garbage collection for USB communication.

George told me, that the communication of the Thermal Camera+ (beta with SDK 1.2.8 ) with a Samsung Note USB is now "rock stable"...

Wonderfull  ;D
Valere - Electronic Engineer - Autonomous robotic designer participating to French Robotic Cup / Eurobot (President of Association Sikula Robotik)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2017, 01:24:00 am »
Looking forward to trying this app. Ordered a F1G2 from TEquipment. It's still on sale, if anyone else is looking to get one. Approximately US$200 after EEVBlog discount on the sale price.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2017, 12:28:18 am »
Works great with F1G2 on Nexus 5. Unfortunately, doesn't work on Nexus 7 (FLIR API limitation?).

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2017, 12:52:33 am »
Works great with F1G2 on Nexus 5. Unfortunately, doesn't work on Nexus 7 (FLIR API limitation?).

Does the original FLIR ONE app work for you? The old Nexus 7 (2012) could maybe miss some important hardware features, that FLIR needs (as you mentioned), because it seems to work perfectly well on the newer Nexus 7 (2013).

The following users thanked this post: firehopper

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2017, 03:29:31 am »
Both the official FLIR app and Georg's won't install from the Play store saying that it's not supported. Yes, it's the 2012 Nexus 7. Now that I think about it, it probably wants a rear camera for the live image blending. I'd rather have the option to use it with only the thermal image.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2017, 01:09:31 pm »
You could ask Georg to send you apk and install it manualy.

Offline paradigmic

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2017, 07:32:48 pm »
Both the official FLIR app and Georg's won't install from the Play store saying that it's not supported. Yes, it's the 2012 Nexus 7. Now that I think about it, it probably wants a rear camera for the live image blending. I'd rather have the option to use it with only the thermal image.

Do you have any Android device that it will install on? You can install it to another device and extract the APK to install it on the 2012 N7.

One other possibility, does the FLIR require USB OTG? If so, it won't work on the 2012 N7 at all because it does not support USB OTG, while the 2013 N7 does, so that would explain why it works there.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »
I don't think it required Rear Camera, it's not used (except when available for white led lighting, but I don't think it's "a requirement/condition").

Do you have any Android device that it will install on? You can install it to another device and extract the APK to install it on the 2012 N7.

I've done that for Flir Tools, installed on my Nexus 4, get the Apk and transferred it on low-cost Amazon Fire 7.
On the opposite I've installed Flir One Official App on the Amazon fire 7 and get the apk, installed it on the Nexus 4... it's not working because OTG is not activated in the Kernel (hardware available, but without power on the USB port, so need to root / change ROM to get part-OTG support, which is sufficient for Flir One since it has it very own battery).

One other possibility, does the FLIR require USB OTG? If so, it won't work on the 2012 N7 at all because it does not support USB OTG, while the 2013 N7 does, so that would explain why it works there.

Flir One and App from George require usb OTG. As far as I read OTG support for Nexus 7 2012 is fluctuating, some version of Android doesn't support it, some need configuration, and some work directly. I suggest you dig about Nexus 7 2012 OTG / storage / ethernet USB / media importers, you may or may not need to root it / replace the ROM by a newer Android version (at your own risk).

If you are not ready to take risk (if needed), you could find a phone with a faulty SIM (someone did so with Motorola for something like 30$, maybe Fraser) or you could take a low-cost tablet such as Amazon Fire 7 (need a bit tweaking but works like a charm without root or ROM flash - I've written a post on my experience).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:20:30 pm by valere »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:42 am »
It works fine on the Nexus 5. So, I'm fine for now. Thanks for the additional N7 info.

The indeterminate OTG support is likely the reason the Play store doesn't risk installing it to the N7 2012. At some point I'll root the N7 to update it to Marshmallow. Then, I can try loading the APK, but it's not urgent.

Next is to buy the plus version and check out the additional features.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »
It works fine on the Nexus 5. So, I'm fine for now. Thanks for the additional N7 info.

The indeterminate OTG support is likely the reason the Play store doesn't risk installing it to the N7 2012. At some point I'll root the N7 to update it to Marshmallow. Then, I can try loading the APK, but it's not urgent.

Cool ! You can try without rooting for the APK thing, use something like AirDroid on your Nexus 5 to download the APK on your pc (works like a charm), then send it on the N7 and authorize installation from "any source" temporarily (obviously in this case you are the source so it's safe enough). None of that require "root" but like you said, we are not sure if this version of Android on your N7 is OTG nice so it may or may not work at the end.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
Thanks for the info about AirDroid. I'll give that a try. I've used a USB drive on the N7 before via OTG cable, so there's a good chance the cam will work.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »
Thanks for the info about AirDroid. I'll give that a try. I've used a USB drive on the N7 before via OTG cable, so there's a good chance the cam will work.
Indeed, if OTG/USB Drive works, it's likely it will work too.
- Install Air Droid (N5)
- Connect on the same network
- Access your phone (probably even from the N7 in fact) from a web browser "http://192.168.xx.xx:8888/" (as said by air droid) / no need to create an online account for this
- Choose "Apps"
- Download the wanted APK

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:26 pm »
it also works on a samsung note 4 as well! and love the app, I guess if I want videos I have to use the regular app hun?

Does the original FLIR ONE app work for you? The old Nexus 7 (2012) could maybe miss some important hardware features, that FLIR needs (as you mentioned), because it seems to work perfectly well on the newer Nexus 7 (2013).

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2017, 08:38:21 am »
btw I did purchase the app for my use.. Well done georg! will rate next time it asks me :)

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »
Do other apps ask for that? Because mine doesn't. ;D

Offline uboot

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2023, 07:54:27 am »
Is there any change to get an updated / fixed version of that Thermal Camera+ app for recent Android versions? Because it just keeps crashing on Android 12, 13, and 14 and didn't receive any updates since 2017.

Looks like being abandoned by the developer  :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf