Author Topic: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T + teardown  (Read 17720 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: All sold - Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2021, 10:14:07 pm »
I just completed a very simple focus test on the Multicomp thermal camera using my hot wire thermal target  :)

Details of the test target used in this test.

The target is 0.38mm diameter Nichrome wire mounted on a circular frame to form a cross. There is an insulator at the crossing point of the wire in the centre. The insulator is a nylon 'top hat' type normally used on TO3 transistor mounts. The Outer diameter of the insulator is 8mm and the outer diameter of the smaller central section is 3.9mm. The hot wire trarget frame diameter is 255mm. As will be seen in the test images, the hot wire is not actually run hot, it is operated above ambient. I normally run it at less than 30C. The Nichrome wire is painted with matt enamel paint that can easily cope with the temperature that I run the wire at.

The target is operated with the crossed wires in an 'X' shape to produce an angled hot wire across teh cameras image that shows more pixel detail than a wire in the vertical or horizontal plane.

The Test.

The testing of the Multicomp camera comes with its own issues due to the low pixel count and relatively wide angle lens. This combination results in a relatively large IFOV. This needs to be considered when carrying out a fine wire test as the 0.38mm thick. wire may be imaged at close range but as the camera moves away from the fine wire, the number of pixels that see its width will reduce until only one pixel registers the wire width. Beyond that point, the wires width will illuminate less than one pixel with associated imaging degradation. This is why the fine wire target is not appropriate for use in a long range test of the Multicomp camera. I may go into more detail on this topic later but for now, I present the results of the close range test for your delight and delectation  ;D

The test was carried out at a number of distances between the camera and the hot wire target. I have annotated each picture with the distance at which it was taken from the target. There are two sets of tests, the 'hot cross' and the 'hot angled wire'. Each has its uses but in this case it is showing quality of focus at different distances. The results are interesting.

Enjoy !

Fraser

First the 100cm to 10cm 'Hot Cross' test.....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 12:42:21 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2021, 10:15:29 pm »
Continued... The 'Hot Cross' 10cm to 1cm test
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:19:07 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2021, 10:17:17 pm »
The 'Hot angled wire' test.......
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:19:38 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2021, 10:29:21 pm »
So what is the minimum focus distance of the Multicomp camera ?

Well from what I can see, I would say it is at around 100mm

This is why a 100mm focus distance ZnSe close-up lens made little improvement in the produced image.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2021, 10:38:32 pm »
I forgot to post a picture of the test target so here it is......

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2021, 11:30:12 pm »
I just looked up the data on the FLIR AX8 as that uses the Lepton 2 series and will be very similar to the Multicomp camera in terms of its imaging performance and IFOV.

There is some useful data included on this page…..

https://flir.custhelp.com/app/utils/fl_fovCalc/pn/71201-0101/ret_url/%252Fapp%252Ffl_download_datasheets%252Fid%252F17

I will repeat some details here……

Focal length : 1.54mm
Close Focus : 0.1m (10cm)
Hyperfocal distance : 0.07m (7cm)

IFOV:

At 0.5m distance from Target

HFOV : 0.44m (44cm)
VFOV : 0.33m (33cm)
DOF Near : 0.06m (6cm)
DOF Far : Infinite
IFOV : 5.52mm

At 1.0m distance from Target

HFOV : 0.88m (88cm)
VFOV : 0.66m (66cm)
DOF Near : 0.07m (7cm)
IFOV : 11.04mm

Consider the IFOV in my tests against a 0.38mm wire !  ;)

The Lepton 2.x has too wide a field of view and IFOV for my liking but if you can get close enough to the target it delivers decent imagery.

At the closest distance that decent focus is present, namely 100mm the figures look like this…..

At 0.1m distance from Target

HFOV : 0.09m (9cm)
VFOV : 0.07m (7cm)
DOF Near : 0.04m (4cm)
IFOV : 1.1mm

This is closer to where we need to be for PCB inspection  :-+

Fitting a 50mm focus distance ZnSe supplemental lens may improve matters further but anything greater than that is unlikely to offer much improvement due to the Leptons standard close focus abilities.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:59:01 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2021, 12:11:42 am »
For anyone wanting more technical detail of the FLIR Lepton 2.5 imaging core that is at the heart of the Multicomp camera, here is the detailed technical documentation from FLIR…..

https://lepton.flir.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/flir-lepton-engineering-datasheet-203.pdf

Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2021, 06:00:57 pm »
A simple range test was completed today :)

Before we look at the pictures we need to look at the effect IFOV, as we did previously with the close range tests.

The IFOV of a camera and lens system will effect what can be seen at range and how many pixels are able to see the target at any instant in time. Why is this important ? Well if you have a 1000 pixels seeing the target, that may show a nice thermal response on the display. If 100 can see the target, a lesser, but still useable thermal response will appear in the display. Even at 10 pixels seeing the target the user will be able to see the target. At lower than 10 pixels seeing the target, life can become more complex, especially if there is noise in the image. As a rule the minimum number of pixels you need seeing the target, for it to be discernible, to the user is 4. Less than that and there is a probability that the camera and user will not provide reliable results. The Delta T in a scene also effects the users ability to see the target as a low Delta T scene may mean a narrower span is in use and the noise level in the image can rise, disguising the target. The other posbility is a very large Delta T that forces an auto ranging camera to set a very large span that lessens the contrast in the image.   

In this range test I am expecting the camera to struggle due to the combination of its 80 x 60 pixel FPA and and 50 degree wide angle lens. I saw the expected results in my testing. I will detail the IFOV figures below so that readers can see the dimensions of a single pixel 'on target'. If this is unclear.... if the IFOV at 2m results in a pixel size on target of 20mm then a 20mm x 20mm target will illuminate just one pixel. A 40mm x 40mm target will illuminate 4 pixels and a 80mm x 80mm target will illuminate 16 pixels. Bearing in mind my previous comments, the camera will struggle with the target that is less than 40mm x 40mm in size and will not show any shape detail (other than square!) until any least 80mm x 80mm in size.

Multicomp thermal camera IFOV at defined distances:

1m : 11.04mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 22mm x 22mm

2m : 22.08mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 44mm x 44mm

3m : 33.12mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 66mm x 66mm

4m : 44.16mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 88mm x 88mm

5m : 55.19mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 110mm x 110mm

6m : 66.23mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 132mm x 132mm

7m : 77.27mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 154mm x 154mm

8m : 88.31mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 176mm x 176mm

9m : 99.35mm      Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 198mm x198mm

10m : 110.39mm  Recommended Target size for 2 x 2 pixel detection  = 220mm x 220mm

Now before anybody gets too excited, remember that the above is just for "Detection" and those pixel on target sizes will also dictate how much detail may be seen. That is to say, if a large target contains fine detail, that may not be seen if that details size falls below the threshold of detection. Interpolation of the low resolution image can assist in improving the appearance of an image, but if not enough pixels actually see the detail, interpolation cannot help much, if at all.

The test target that I chose to use in this test is a Leslie's Cube. This is a thermography training device that is a copper hollow cube that has diffrent emissivity surfaces on four of its sides. The copper cube is filled with hot water and the difference in surface emissivity, and its effect on IR measurements, is shown to the students. I am using it as a simple 100mm x 100mm high emissivity thermal target. Its known emitter face dimensions may be used with the IFOV to test the theroy of what I detailed above. For decent detection with the stated IFOV on the Multicomp camera we should image the cubes 100mm x 100mm face at no greater than 4m. We shall see what happens after that 4m point in the images that follow. Remember what I said earlier, we want 4 pixels on the target, with anything less risking issues for the camera and user and there will still be no real detail in the produced target image. In this case we are using a square emitter surface  so the shape identification is not demanding ! As we move futher away from the Target I believe we will see the cubes square face lose its edges and become a 'blob' of no defined shape. At a distance from target of 9m, the camera will have only one pixel 'on target' and the camera will likley stugggle to show that clearly to the user. The cameras auto span system may also struggle at this point to set the correct span if the measurement system does not get decent data from the single pixel that sees the target. The targets energy can bridge across two or even more  pixels but the pixels will output poor data.

So with all of that out of the way... to the pictures......

Each picture has the distance to target as its name. I produced two test runs. One with center spot measurement, and one without, to give a clear view of the cube to us.

The first pictures are of the Leslie's cube.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:37:01 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2021, 06:04:25 pm »
Range test with centre spot temperature measurement active.

Tests occur in 1m steps starting at a distance of 1m from the Leslie's cube.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2021, 06:07:09 pm »
The same test run without centre spot temperature measurement.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »
In the images, above, note the issue that occurs at the greater distances when the sky becomes visible to the cameras auto span setting system. To avoid this effect the cameras field of view needs to controlled to prevent the cold sky being imaged.

Example images folow. Some of these were at a distance of 7m :
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 06:26:10 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2021, 06:15:32 pm »
Some more images that I captured whilst in the garden.

These include views of the tree line including the sky and the gas boiler exhaust port.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2021, 06:20:28 pm »
As a final little test, I imaged teh Leslies cube sides :)  Black, Black, White and bare dull Copper

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2021, 06:27:22 pm »
Pictures of a cube above would be more comparable if temp range was locked to be the same (same color would mean same temp). Sky above the house influenced scale too much, contrast is gone. Noise may be an much more visible with narrow temp range though.
Would it be possible to adjust temp range coloring in UNI-T SW with post-processing? Or any other SW for that matter? @joe-c SW is not available as of now for UTi80P (fingers crossed :D).

...A mass return of unwanted unit’s from organisations that bought them for Fever Detection maybe ? If so, that was a poor purchase choice.
Based on my experience with thermal cameras detecting fever is not as easy as it looks (measurement is person and body part dependent, small temp. difference and accuracy issues, etc.). There are commercial products that claim fever detection on customers entering shops and such but I have not seen effectiveness metrics or actual data.
Do you know of any literature on human temp reading with thermal cameras (how accurate it is, any issues with it)?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2021, 07:05:43 pm »
What we have not discussed in these range tests is the quality of the optics and their effect on the test.

The Lepton series of cores use a pretty heavily compromised Silicon lens system that does degrade the imagery that the rest of the core produces. We are aware that he lens system provides amazing close focus capabilities but what about its performance imaging targets at greater distances ? Bill_W has shown in his tests that there is definitely room for improvement in a Lepton 3 (160 x 120 pixels) core so the Lepton 2 is likely to also benefit from either focus adjustment or replacement of the silicon lens with something of better optical quality. Sadly a decent Chalcogenide or Germanium lens will cost far more than the camera is worth. If the focus is adjusted to favour distant objects, the close focus capability will likely be impacted so a close-up lens may be needed, just as with other thermal cameras.

The design of the Lepton 2 core with its integrated FFC flag mechanism precludes manual adjustment by the user whilst the camera is in use. The FFC flag assembly is mounted in front of the lens rather than the more common location behind the lens.

I may well experiment with the little Multicomp cameras Lepton core when I have more time.

To my mind, this Multicomp thermal camera is intended for close target use of likely less than 2m distance. This would explain the amazing close focus capability. Image quality drops significantly as you increase the distance to target as shown in this test.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:11:43 pm by Fraser »

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2021, 09:42:45 pm »
For anyone wanting more technical detail of the FLIR Lepton 2.5 imaging core that is at the heart of the Multicomp camera, here is the detailed technical documentation from FLIR…..

https://lepton.flir.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/flir-lepton-engineering-datasheet-203.pdf

Fraser

Nice little camera, indeed - thank you for the enthusiastic and extended review.

Are you sure it uses a FLIR Lepton 2.5 core? The specifications seem slightly different. Uni-T/Multicomp claim a "basic accuracy" of +/-2C deg (or 2%) between -10C - 140C, whereas the Lepton 2.5 core datasheet states +/-5C at 25C. Also (if I'm reading the data sheets right), the sensitivity (NETD, Noise Equivalent Temperature Difference?) is different as well (<0.15C in Uni-T vs <0.5C in Lepton 2.5).

It looks like the camera has better published specs than the Lepton 2.5 sensor.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2021, 10:02:59 pm »
The specifications of thermal cameras that use the Lepton cores seem to vary somewhat. The comparison of the FLIR AX8 to the Multicomp camera shows this. The AX8 has a stated NETD of 100mK and an accuracy of +/-2C or 2% (whichever is greater)
FLIR state that the Lepton cores basic accuracy may be improved by the host processor system.

https://www.flirmedia.com/MMC/THG/Brochures/AUT_017/AUT_017_EN.pdf

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 10:14:55 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: Caliaxy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2021, 11:07:31 pm »
A look inside the Multicomp/Uni-Trend thermal camera  :)

This is not a full teardown. I semi dismantled the camera to see what lives inside and found much of what I expected to see.

The FLIR Lepton 2.5 is mounted in the usual socket but is retained in place with a nice solid plastic bracket that also incorporates the protective window. A foam dust and fluid gasket surrounds that window. The LCD display panel is mounted on the PCB using metal twist tabs and this module covers most of the PCB. The units processor resides under the LCD panel but I did not access this area. I would expect to find whatever processor Uni-Trend use in their other thermal cameras, or a relative of it. It is likely one of the many ARM processors as these are favourites for use in thermal cameras like this unit.

There is a 24LC256 eeprom below the LCD panel. I also looked at the quality and mounting of the Micro USB connector and it looks solid enough.An easy repair if ever needed anyway. The battery is a single foil pack LiPO with a stated capacity of 1300mAh.

Not much to see in this little camera but then that is no surprise. The tiny Lepton core does the image capturing and the processor 'just' deals with presentation of the data to the user and storage on the Micro SD card. With a 80 x 60 pixel FPA and only <9fps to present to the user, the demands on the processor are likely relatively low in this unit.

The PCB is marked up as a UTi80P and dated 19 May 2020

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 12:27:15 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2021, 11:08:29 pm »
Continued.....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2021, 11:19:26 pm »
For anyone wondering about the purpose of the 8 pin "TP4056" IC (near the Micro USB connector).... it is a 1A standalone Linear Li-Ion battery charger IC. Data sheet to be found at the following link and attached.

https://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Prototyping/TP4056.pdf

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:21:28 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2021, 12:05:59 am »
My opinion of the design and build quality found in this unit ?

More than acceptable. Very good in fact  :-+

Fraser

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2021, 12:11:31 pm »
SPECIFICATIONS
Palettes: Iron, rainbow, grey
Actually there are four different Palettes: Iron, rainbow, grey and fast(high temps in orange-yellow, lower temps in grey white). Turn of all menus with photo(back) button, then press right button to enable/disable "fast" color mode.

Also, you can force camera to do a calibration routine. Turn of all menus with photo(back) button, then press left button to calibrate (it will click and show "calibrating" on screen for 1 second).

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T + teardown
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2021, 08:15:31 pm »
I received my device today, expected on 16th, received on 10th. nice surprise
and I must say that for the price it's a real nice little device, always on hand, ready to shoot some thermal image, not a lot of resolution , but enough for most.
thank you Fraser and elect_peter to make me aware of this opportunity.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T, external lenses
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2023, 07:51:35 pm »
Uni-T offers some factory made attachments with lenses for other cameras as accesories, but not for UTi80P/UTi120P range.
Are there any thermal lenses available for Uni-T UTi80P/UTi120P cameras (for looking at PCBs at short range)?  Or DIY solutions?

Offline isecus88

Re: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T + teardown
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2023, 02:47:45 am »
UTi80P resolution is 80*60, UTi120P resolution is 120*90.
These resolution is too low. Even you add a micro lens, still can not see much details. So please please give up lol
The cameras are not designed for PCB inspection.

That's why, UNI-T released several models from low to high resolution, targetting at different requirements.
If you want for PCB inspection, invest on others models, such as UTi260B which is strongly recommended. Generally speaking, UTi260B is at high performance/price rate. As I know, it is the best selling model in their collection.

See this video lol:
How to use UTi260B to inspect PCB faulty points easily: https://youtu.be/xNmfwVD8b_I

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf