Author Topic: Android or Handheld Thermal Camera for Plumbing  (Read 650 times)

Offline CallumTopic starter

• Contributor
Android or Handheld Thermal Camera for Plumbing
« on: June 12, 2024, 09:57:53 pm »
Hi Gents,

I know nothing about thermal cameras and I'm looking for a thermal camera for plumbing work, detecting leaks and for balancing radiators by detecting cold spots. This is mainly for DIY and not professional use as I am not a tradesman.
What would you suggest please around a £150 budget (I am looking to get from Aliexpress or similar as normally its cheaper there than Amazon).
From my limited knowledge I have see these Android products often talked about here that looks like its within my budget.

MILESEEY TR256i
Tooltip T7

Thank you  :)

• Contributor
Re: Android or Handheld Thermal Camera for Plumbing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 10:24:17 am »
Did I post in the wrong section?  :scared:
I appreciate any help anyone can offer as I would like to order this on the weekend.

Thank you

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 12:55:25 pm »
our firm recently went for HIKMICRO - for checking control panels/kiosks

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/5154461-pocket-2-thermal-camera
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

The following users thanked this post: Callum

Offline gamerpaddy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 11:38:08 am »
The best thermal camera is the one you allways have with you when you need it.

i went with a smartphone that has a built in camera like a IIIF150 Raptor, AGM G1S, ulefone power 19t, dodgy v31gt etc.
its at least 400 bucks at minimum.  but keep in mind they can become outdated in a few years and may not be viable as a every day use smartphone anymore, they still serve as a dedicated thermal camera then at least.

im not a fan of standalone thermal imagers,  you either forgot them or didnt charge the battery. they are bulky, mostly much more expensive and lack features and performance.

dongles are a little more convenient and cheaper but they are small, only held in by a flimsy usb port, easy to lose and whats a dongle that you forgot at home.

the lineup of those 256x192  dongles are unbeatable in terms of thermal imaging performance for its price.
tooltop t7, mileseey tr256i, topdon tc001, infiray p2 etc. they can be had starting at like just 120 bucks.  latter two can even be used on a PC

dont bother with poor (lepton..) and pricey flir based ones unless you want thermal accuracy over just seeing a thermal difference (like for plumbing, electronics repair etc.)

the Hikmicro one armandine2 posted uses the same core as the dongles but has way less compute performance than your average smartphone,

for a beginner i would go with any of the dongles i mentioned above.
i got myself a infiray p2 back then which i now use above my workbench as a electronic troubleshooting helper as i switched to a more convenient thermal smartphone, iiif150 raptor.

The following users thanked this post: Callum

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 08:12:08 pm »
The best thermal camera is the one you allways have with you when you need it.

i went with a smartphone that has a built in camera like a IIIF150 Raptor, AGM G1S, ulefone power 19t, dodgy v31gt etc.
its at least 400 bucks at minimum.  but keep in mind they can become outdated in a few years and may not be viable as a every day use smartphone anymore, they still serve as a dedicated thermal camera then at least.

im not a fan of standalone thermal imagers,  you either forgot them or didnt charge the battery. they are bulky, mostly much more expensive and lack features and performance.

dongles are a little more convenient and cheaper but they are small, only held in by a flimsy usb port, easy to lose and whats a dongle that you forgot at home.

the lineup of those 256x192  dongles are unbeatable in terms of thermal imaging performance for its price.
tooltop t7, mileseey tr256i, topdon tc001, infiray p2 etc. they can be had starting at like just 120 bucks.  latter two can even be used on a PC

dont bother with poor (lepton..) and pricey flir based ones unless you want thermal accuracy over just seeing a thermal difference (like for plumbing, electronics repair etc.)

the Hikmicro one armandine2 posted uses the same core as the dongles but has way less compute performance than your average smartphone,

for a beginner i would go with any of the dongles i mentioned above.
i got myself a infiray p2 back then which i now use above my workbench as a electronic troubleshooting helper as i switched to a more convenient thermal smartphone, iiif150 raptor.

Thanks I went with the tooltop t7 over the weekend, as it's within budget and was on summer sale to sweeten the deal.

@armandine2 unfortunately that one you suggested is over my budget.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf