Author Topic: Hantek DSO 1000S series  (Read 6593 times)

Offline PaulvTopic starter

Hantek DSO 1000S series
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »
Hi,
I want to buy a handheld scopemeter with isolated inputs. I doubt between two options:
a Fluke scopemeter like Fluke199C and a Hantek DSO1062S or DSO1122S. The Hantek scope has a 4(!) times larger display and is much cheaper. However, the Hantek has some missing features:

- Is it right that the Hantek scope does NOT have the option to SAVE a FFT spectrum? I see in the manual that it can save channel 1 or 2, but not the MATH channel. Who can verify this?

- The Fluke displays the frequency and amplitude of the peak in a FFT automatically. With the Hantek you must select the peak value with the cursors, which is much more cumbersome;

- The Hantek scope has a smallest sensitivity of 5V/DIV. This means that when measuring the mains (640Vpp), a 1:100 probe has to be used. The Fluke has a max of 100V/DIV, so no special probe is needed;

Does anyone own a DSO 1000S series and can confirm these findings?

And is the bandwidth hack to 200MHz also possible for new 1000S handheld hanteks?
Thanks,
Paul

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek DSO 1000S series
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »
Does anyone own a DSO 1000S series and can confirm these findings?

i don't have "S" handscope, but i know someting about the benchtop/other handheld models, which are as you
maybe already saw here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/

very similar to "S" Handhelds, so i will try to answer at least some questions.

And is the bandwidth hack to 200MHz also possible for new 1000S handheld hanteks?

yes it is

a Fluke scopemeter like Fluke199C

depends on the environment in which you suppose to use them, Fluke might be better idea. Not that Hantek is cheap plastic or so, but i trust Fluke much more (in case of what so ever).

The Hantek scope has a 4(!) times larger display and is much cheaper.

that's right, but Fluke have up to 2.5GSa/s per channel where Hantek is max. 1GSa/s in single and 500MSa/s in dual channel.
Fluke have as well nice recorder (up to 8 days timespan), which i actually never ever tested on Hantek (i know it can be set to e.g. 1000 frames with frame each every 30s or so, but thats far from "8 days" on Fluke, not to mention the nice chart.)

- Is it right that the Hantek scope does NOT have the option to SAVE a FFT spectrum? I see in the manual that it can save channel 1 or 2, but not the MATH channel. Who can verify this?

not sure if S model firmware is already on benchtop model stage (in principle it should as they using same platform),
but on benchtop models itself you can save CH1/CH2 data as

- Screenshot
- REF
- CSV
- Recorder data (all waveframes, via recorder)
- single Waveframe (via wave record)

where the FFT can be only saved as REF.

- The Fluke displays the frequency and amplitude of the peak in a FFT automatically. With the Hantek you must select the peak value with the cursors, which is much more cumbersome;

on handhelds, with no rotary knobs, that sucks indeed. It takes "hours" to push all the buttons to right/left, and then switch from horizontal to vertical to read value, crazy. On benchtop you can use tracking cursor in FFT, it is not the best solution
becasue you have still to scroll left/right with buttons, but at least it does detect peaks and shows the values. However, the last time i played with handheld there was no tracking cursor.

- The Hantek scope has a smallest sensitivity of 5V/DIV. This means that when measuring the mains (640Vpp), a 1:100 probe has to be used. The Fluke has a max of 100V/DIV, so no special probe is needed;

with such needs i would not buy Hantek ^^ I don't trust myself, one day 1:10, then 1:100,ehm no, better directly handheld which is more robust. On the other side, when you can work with all the disadvantages, the price is for sure a big plus.

I'm not the biggest fan of Siglent, but they have isolated handheld as well, you should check the specs as well.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »
Thanks Tinhead for your comment on the Hantek/Fluke.

... where the FFT can be only saved as REF.
I am not sure what the difference is between REF and Screenshot and whether an unlimed number of REFs can be saved, but reading your comment, I prefer the Fluke. As you say, it is more robust and give more confidence.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:24 pm »
For 230V or 400V measurement, i would prefer Fluke. But it is expensive...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:04 pm »
Thanks Tinhead for your comment on the Hantek/Fluke.

... where the FFT can be only saved as REF.
I am not sure what the difference is between REF and Screenshot and whether an unlimed number of REFs can be saved, but reading your comment, I prefer the Fluke. As you say, it is more robust and give more confidence.

i should have said "in FFT can resut can saved as screenshot and REF". The REF itself is nothing else than the information from the screen, and that can be loaded later to compare to other values, e.g. attached picture:
- A (on bottom) with some two peaks at 125 and 250MHz
- B (on top) with with no peaks

These DSOs/MSOs/Handhelds can currently save only 2 REF values, both located on internal NAND memory.

Attached as well screenshot of how the tracking cursor look like on Hantek.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:57:35 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:55 pm »
You might want to look at a used Tek THS720/730. I hear those are pretty good. You can get them for around $300/
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:17 am »
To bad, the Tek THS720/730 does not have a proper FFT nor the possibility to save waveforms or screen (only to RS232).

If the Hantek has a possibility to SAVE screenshots, then this would make it possible to SAVE (an unlimited number of) FFT's as well? Or is the screenshot limited to CH1/CH2?

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:46:04 am »
Or is the screenshot limited to CH1/CH2?

screenshot is simply picture of everything you see on screen, there is no restriction (maybe except file system max. amount of files, etc.) known.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf