Author Topic: yokogawa goes 12 bit  (Read 994 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
yokogawa goes 12 bit
« on: May 16, 2024, 09:44:34 am »
I came across this video from Yokogawa. It was apparently a livestream showcasing their new 12 bit DLM5000HD scopes:

There doesn't seem to be much about yokogawa scopes out there, much less of these 12 bit ones. Are they only big in japan? i really like their scope design, and they seem to be pretty high end, like on par with Rohde & Schwarz/Keysight/Tek, but they also seem to be pretty obscure, at least in the english-speaking world, why is that? hmmm!

Anyway, this scope looks really cool, too bad that they streamed from like 2005 and so you can't see too much of the 12 bit-ness in the video

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, DaneLaw, pdenisowski

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
Re: yokogawa goes 12 bit
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 10:44:14 am »
It looks very nice.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 11:06:44 am »
Are they only big in japan?

They are also well-known here, they are professional suppliers, they don't have anything cheap in their range.
Prices are only available on request.
We have paperless data recorders and a 16 channel "oscilloscope" from them, the quality is excellent.
The DLM5000HD will also be excellent and has nothing to hide.
Down-to-earth data such as 500Mhz and max 2.5GSa/s, but 1Gpt memory - the ones from Yokogawa are simply analysis cracks.
https://tmi.yokogawa.com/de/solutions/products/oscilloscopes/digital-and-mixed-signal-oscilloscopes/dlm5000hd-series-mixed-signal-oscilloscope/
You can have fun and ask for a price... ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski, Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 11:25:41 am »
Are they only big in japan?

They are also well-known here, they are professional suppliers, they don't have anything cheap in their range.
Prices are only available on request.
We have paperless data recorders and a 16 channel "oscilloscope" from them, the quality is excellent.
The DLM5000HD will also be excellent and has nothing to hide.
Down-to-earth data such as 500Mhz and max 2.5GSa/s, but 1Gpt memory - the ones from Yokogawa are simply analysis cracks.
https://tmi.yokogawa.com/de/solutions/products/oscilloscopes/digital-and-mixed-signal-oscilloscopes/dlm5000hd-series-mixed-signal-oscilloscope/
You can have fun and ask for a price... ;)

a few years ago i came across their vertical layout scopes, and absolutely loved the design, but also couldn't find any reviews or anything out there, so i contacted them out of curiosity about where i could get one of those, and they also gave me a quote of ~8k usd for i think the 200MHz model?  :scared: but about this one, i'll pretend it's around the same to keep the daydreams alive :P

it would be fun to see a proper video review of one of their scopes.

this video from the olden times shows one of their vertical layout scopes in action, but it seems to be the only yokogawa scope review on youtube

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 11:58:25 am »
I still have my DL1540 - which has ultra-nice handling and requires only limited desktop space. Plus it can be carried around like an old Macintosh. Can't beat that armada of selenoids clicking into the right settings :)
That thing is packed with electronics, they certainly know how to build advanced instruments.
Unfortunately, it is *loud*, so it got replaced by a Rigol. (Which is not silent either, but much more on the "OK"-level.)
Unfiortunately (2), these are very expensive, waaaay out of my budget.

Offline BarrowBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:47:42 pm »
Hi Folks,
             What a positive Yokogawa thread, other than the comments about visibility in the market outside of Japan. Hit's me hard as the person responsible for the distribution and marketing of the products within Australia and New Zealand.

Let me answer your question best I can. Yokogawa Oscilloscopes are not for the masses. They don't have a entry level point model, and don't go particularly high in bandwidth.  They are more designed for the power engineer. Yokogawa T&M is foremost a power measurement related company, DC, Low frequency AC, and Optical Power.  Available in 4 and more importantly 8 channel, Yokogawa  were the first to market with a 8 channel scope, and again I believe the first to market with a 8 Channel HD version.  Coming from a multi-vendor background I'm quite aware their are other options out there, but if Power is a concern, you will want 8 Channels, you will want deep memory, you will want a very high quality A/D frontend with low noise. What you won't want to hear (as has been mentioned) is the price, but the guys in precision power will know what I'm talking about.  You might also find the Yokogawa PX8000 an interesting unit, it's a older model, a hybrid of a  4 Ch Oscilloscope, and a 4 Ch power Analyzer, the later having 4 direct input current shunts allowing direct current input. Quite novel.

I'm a salesguy, please don't be too harsh. I'm not here trying to sell anything, only inform.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:58:59 pm by BarrowBoy »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Anthocyanina

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:07:34 pm »
Hi Folks,
             What a positive Yokogawa thread, other than the comments about visibility in the market outside of Japan. Hit's me hard as the person responsible for the distribution and marketing of the products within Australia and New Zealand.

Let me answer your question best I can. Yokogawa Oscilloscopes are not for the masses. They don't have a entry level point model, and don't go particularly high in bandwidth.  They are more designed for the power engineer. Yokogawa T&M is foremost a power measurement related company, DC, Low frequency AC, and Optical Power.  Available in 4 and more importantly 8 channel, Yokogawa  were the first to market with a 8 channel scope, and again I believe the first to market with a 8 Channel HD version.  Coming from a multi-vendor background I'm quite aware their are other options out there, but if Power is a concern, you will want 8 Channels, you will want deep memory, you will want a very high quality A/D frontend with low noise. What you won't want to hear (as has been mentioned) is the price, but the guys in precision power will know what I'm talking about.  You might also find the Yokogawa PX8000 an interesting unit, it's a older model, a hybrid of a  4 Ch Oscilloscope, and a 4 Ch power Analyzer, the later having 4 direct input current shunts allowing direct current input. Quite novel.

I'm a salesguy, please don't be too harsh. I'm not here trying to sell anything, only inform.

You could "inform" us of the nominal price, so we know how much of our lottery winnings to set aside...   ;)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Anthocyanina

Offline BarrowBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:41:43 pm »
I'm based in Australia, and you appear to be in the old dart ;) (England for those unsure)

If so, the DLM5000 series starts at around £12k and rise from there depending upon actual model and options, which are wide and varied. Guide pricing above is not for the latest HD 12Bit / 16Bit version.  You would need to check, with your local representative.

As for the brand reignition, it is amazing how many people ask me for a famous Japanese brand of car tire that is spelt and pronounced   
in a very similar way when enquiring about one of Yokogawa's fine products.  A bit cheeky from a newbie, but consider yourself "informed"  :-DD   

PS If there is enough interest I have no doubt I can get one in Dave's hands, but a teardown it shall not be, if you win the lottery, buy one yourself, and then and only then are we likely to see a teardown. Good luck ;)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:56:50 pm by BarrowBoy »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, egonotto, Anthocyanina

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:18:07 pm »
It would be nice to have Dave take a go at a Yokogawa scope. In the Netherlands I do spot Yokogawa oscilloscopes in the wild occasionally. And not just the ones I own(ed).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:24:49 pm »
PS If there is enough interest I have no doubt I can get one in Dave's hands, but a teardown it shall not be, if you win the lottery, buy one yourself, and then and only then are we likely to see a teardown. Good luck ;)

yes! that would be really cool. i'm a fan of Yokogawa's look, so it would be really cool to see them in action and how they do against the offerings from R&S and Keysight, to see if it's not only got the looks!

The following users thanked this post: BarrowBoy

Offline BarrowBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:51:37 pm »
It would be nice to have Dave take a go at a Yokogawa scope. In the Netherlands I do spot Yokogawa oscilloscopes in the wild occasionally. And not just the ones I own(ed).

The Netherlands, is actually home to Yokogawa Europe, where they have their lab with ISO17025 power accreditation run by a Gentleman that used to work for the Dutch NMI. I hope to visit on my next trip to Europe.  If Dave think's a review is in order I would speak with those that matter from a Yokogawa stand-point, and maybe you agitate your end. As a Newbie, I have limited sway vs 27k posts ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:56:55 am »
   It's good to have you onboard!  I've never used one of their scopes but I own several old Yokogawa analog meters and I can say that their build quality is absolutely first rate.  If price wasn't a consideration (LOL. That will be the day!), I would buy a Yokogawa scope in a heart beat. 

Are the manuals for any of the Yokogawa scopes online? I'd like to take a look at the specifications and features.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, BarrowBoy

Offline BarrowBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:55:16 pm »
   It's good to have you onboard!  I've never used one of their scopes but I own several old Yokogawa analog meters and I can say that their build quality is absolutely first rate.  If price wasn't a consideration (LOL. That will be the day!), I would buy a Yokogawa scope in a heart beat. 

Are the manuals for any of the Yokogawa scopes online? I'd like to take a look at the specifications and features.

Yes, they are online. Unfortunately, their datasheets are via their portal which you register to gain access. I'd rather it be a simple process, but hey I don't make the rules. The marketing stuff is much easier to see, and is still quite informative as attached.  Having just downloaded the user manual and Features guide, (both over the 8MB upload limit)

In name of decency a Gdrive link to the manual and features guide (40MB) - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Fhv1yej6oLjFLvWWjfZInP5SICx0P8m9?usp=sharing

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf