Author Topic: Agilent/Keysight U1253B Multimeter failure  (Read 626 times)

Offline FrozenHaxorTopic starter

• Contributor
    • My random stuff
Agilent/Keysight U1253B Multimeter failure
« on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:09 pm »
Hello,

I'm having a severe problem with my multimeter, perhaps somebody would have an idea as to what could be wrong with it - basically it does everything but display the measurement, instead of a number only comma is visible and curiously, only the capacitance range works.

This meter had this problem occassionally for the best part of the 10 years that I own it (I'm the first owner. Got it brand new), I originally attributed this problem to being picky with the 9V battery used. The original "Powerex" 9V Ni-MH battery quickly gave out and I wasn't able to charge it from the meter any more. I've found the meter to be extremely picky and particular about the Ni-MH battery being used, with most off the shelf batteries not being able to charge at all, but it wasn't a deal breaker as I was still able to use GP batteries in it, and even managed to get a new "Powerex" replacement that it came with originally.

Basically same failure would appear, and physically removing the battery from the meter and reinstalling it would solve the issue. Sometimes it wouldn't, and I found that removing the battery then shorting it out to drop the voltage a bit and then reinstalling it would solve the issue. (they didn't measure having excessive voltage, just the meter was picky about it). I managed to push past this failure for years but today no matter what I do, I can not get it to boot properly. Everything works, even the menu and I can also connect to Bluetooth interface but no measurements are being made.

I wanted to get a second meter that would also have a good display for indoor use and extremely fast measurement update rate, got UNI-T UT171C but it's much slower, I'm not satisfied with it as a replacement.

Meter is used almost on daily basis, indoors use only, never been opened more than battery door, never seen any short circuit on AC range, never blown any fuse, never seen over 450V DC. I always took good care of it, never been dropped.

Uploaded a video showing this behavior, if somebody has any idea I'm looking forward to investigate and repair this meter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf