Author Topic: Yet another scope recommendation  (Read 1440 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Yet another scope recommendation
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2024, 09:11:51 pm »

Have a look at these pictures of "temporary high speed scope probe “sockets”" (scroll down to that phrase)
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2020/07/22/prototyping-circuits-easy-cheap-fast-reliable-techniques/

The only type of probe it makes sense to solder to a circuit is a homebrew Z0 resistive divider, but that requires 50ohm termination at the oscilloscope. (Well I suppose soldering a piece of coax is OK for low-level audio signals)

I think I didn't provide enough context with that. I use the "Probe-To-BNC" adapter to connect a thin coax cable (RG178 or somethig) which will then be soldered at the point of interest. Which might not be quite as good as the method in your link, but less bulky.

If you do that then there will be reflections causing the displayed voltage to be frequency dependent. The frequency of the nulls depends on the length of the piece of coax, shorter->higher frequency of first null. Use an online VSWR calculator to find those frequencies; better simulate it with a Spice or any of the online equivalents.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BenjiBangoTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2024, 07:14:40 am »
If you do that then there will be reflections causing the displayed voltage to be frequency dependent. The frequency of the nulls depends on the length of the piece of coax, shorter->higher frequency of first null. Use an online VSWR calculator to find those frequencies; better simulate it with a Spice or any of the online equivalents.

Didn't thought of this to be honest. I just compared it with the ground spring and lead, and the results was more of the range of the spring, but without needing a third arm to hold everything in place :)
But I will have a look into that, thanks.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2024, 09:56:16 am »

Didn't thought of this to be honest. I just compared it with the ground spring and lead, and the results was more of the range of the spring, but without needing a third arm to hold everything in place :)
But I will have a look into that, thanks.

The other, obvious, point is that coax will load your circuit. For low frequencies that will appear to be a capacitance, for high frequencies it will be the characteristic impedance, 50ohms.

For a standard "high" impedance *10 probe, it is worth calculating the tip impedance (i.e. R//C) at relevant frequencies. Relevant for a digital signal is determined solely by risetime.

Then calculate the same for a "low" impedance *10 resistive divider probe. Note the quotation marks.

Have a look at the references in
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf