Author Topic: Yet another multimeter suggestion request...  (Read 14577 times)

Offline LomaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
Re: Yet another multimeter suggestion request...
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
Not sure if the BM257 fits all your requirements but it's small, bargraph,6k counts, true RMS etc...  Take a look at dave's teardown/review.
Sweeet. 161x80x50mm (with holster) - it's actually smaller than the Fluke 110 series :) Lots of nice extra functions; it's even got a serial port of some sort. And it's available to buy in the UK for £150 delivered. Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I think I might go for it!

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:59 pm »
Increased safety means they have to leave bigger gaps between the components on the PCB so sparks can't jump around inside.
That may be true for industrial HV applications, but I've certainly never measured anything that made sparks jump around inside a multimeter. Nothing to stop Fluke catering to the electronics market separately from their HV/intrinsically safe products - most of us don't deal with those situations, in fact we're probably not even allowed to, in European countries anyway.
True, till you being tired, don't forget switch your DMM selector into Volts form Resistance and do not put leads in outlet socket. In this situation clear understand difference between Fluke or other safe DMMs and chip Chinese DMM   :-DMM

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »
I did that once, I was alternating between checking current and checking voltage and forgot to move the probes, put them directly across 120V and there was a bright flash as the tip of one of the probes was vaporized but it was otherwise surprisingly boring. Blew an expensive fuse in the meter but after replacing that it continued to work perfectly.

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 06:09:34 pm »
I did that once, I was alternating between checking current and checking voltage and forgot to move the probes,

Not going to happen with a Metrawatt Metrahit2+.  :P
Ok its big and the backlight switches off after one minute  |O but otherwise also one for the OP to consider.
"out in the field" small size is convenient but reliability and durability a must!  :-+

https://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/produkte/metrahit2.htm

Edit:
If capacitance measurement is needed and the OP can do without a rubber holster (without its about the same size as fluke 175)  and calibration certificate there is the dmm16 (should also be within budget):
https://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/produkte/metraline-dmm16.htm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:26:14 pm by The Soulman »

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 06:14:50 pm »
In my case it was a Fluke 77, good solid meter, I only replaced it because I wanted true RMS. Unfortunately the Fluke 187 I replaced it with lacks the very convenient diode test beep :(

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 10:12:47 pm »
If capacitance measurement is needed and the OP can do without a rubber holster (without its about the same size as fluke 175)  and calibration certificate there is the dmm16 (should also be within budget)
Ah. Gossen. Nice. Bit tall perhaps, at 195 x 84 x 35mm (without holster), but damn, I always wanted a Gossen - if only to be the coolest kid on the block. Bonus points for the duty cycle measurement, very useful! Do you know if the Metraline series is made in the EU?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:18:07 pm by Lomax »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 12:34:41 am »
It's gonna be the Brymen BM257s - just ordered and paid, £140 inc shipping from TME, and that includes the "KITBRUA-20X" IR serial/USB link + software, and the "BMH-01" magnetic holder. Final decider was when I saw that the updated "s" version of the BM257 has raised the current measuring capacity from 8A, which I thought was a bit measly, to a healthier 10A. That, and the small size; there simply doesn't seem to be any other (quality) meter on the market which packs so many features into such a compact format.

:-DMM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - and especially lem_ix for nudging me in the Brymen direction! 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:01:29 am by Lomax »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 09:46:22 am »
there simply doesn't seem to be any other (quality) meter on the market which packs so many features into such a compact format.

The CEM DT-989 may be the winner in that category.
Only slightly longer than the 257 (9mm), but difficult to obtain outside of Asia.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:50:20 am by Wytnucls »

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:06 am »
Do you know if the Metraline series is made in the EU?

"Made in Germany" it says on mine..  8)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 11:20:26 am »
Dong Xuan Center in Berlin?  >:D

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 11:55:21 am »
Do you know if the Metraline series is made in the EU?

"Made in Germany" it says on mine..  8)

Good to hear - I hate it when top line manufacturers outsource to some low wage slave economy; quality is always compromised, and it's no fun paying for a premium product only to find it says "designed in Germany, made in PRC" or some crap like that. My poor experience of the Fluke 117 is one such example, but there are countless other companies who have decided to cash in on their brands - brands which it has often taken generations to build up. Yes, Sennheiser, I'm looking at you.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 02:28:15 pm »
there simply doesn't seem to be any other (quality) meter on the market which packs so many features into such a compact format.

Only slightly longer than the 257 (9mm), but difficult to obtain outside of Asia.

Think Peaktech rebrands it

http://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/digital---handmultimeter/produkt/peaktech-3441.html

But would take a Brymen over cem, not thrilled about my current cem/peaktech 3360.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »

But with a rather pathetic +/-1.5% +5 digits DCA "precision", whereas the Brymen guarantees a more reasonable +/-0.5% +3 digits.

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/124600/Handheld-multimeter-digital-VOLTCRAFT-VC-890-OLED-DMM-OLED-display-Data-logger-CAT-III-1000-V-CAT-IV-600-V-Display-c?ref=searchDetail

Voltcraft VC-890     is best!  I got new for 230e before christmas,it was discounted,normaly it cost 300 - 280e.

its 60000 count,0.003% accuracy,freqency counter is 20mhz I believe,oled,ceramic fuses.Its as good as the most expensive keysight or fluke but significantly cheaper.There is also teardown on youtube.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »
Voltcraft VC-890 is best!

Wow, that looks nice. Dual display as well - and it's an OLED screen. Impressive specs too. It is a big beast though!

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »
VOLTCRAFT...
Funny   :-DD
New chinese brand...
This products like are serious one, calibrated to....:
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/1299043/Handheld-multimeter-digital-VOLTCRAFT-PM-37-Calibrated-to-Manufacturer-standards-CAT-I-Display-counts-999?ref=searchDetail
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/1218859/Handheld-multimeter-analogue-VOLTCRAFT-VC-5080-Calibrated-to-Manufacturer-standards-CAT-III-500-V?ref=searchDetail

If somebody want to have analog multimeter in robust 0,5mm steel carrying case for collection, I'll sold it on Ebay  :)
This device at least have mirror strip at analog display for fine reading under right angle  :)

VOLTCRAFT need to do their Multimeters Assortment list link clickable on their Website, before offer "serious measuring devices" to the customers..  :palm:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:24:39 pm by serggio »

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 10:03:47 pm »
Someone more informed can confirm but Voltcraft is Conrad's rebrand badge. I've seen some Uni-T rebadge meter of theirs. Think the protection was fixed a bit to comply with eu standards. Still 280 eur is a bit too much for a Uni-T as far as I'm concerned.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 10:23:03 pm »
Someone more informed can confirm but Voltcraft is Conrad's rebrand badge. I've seen some Uni-T rebadge meter of theirs. Think the protection was fixed a bit to comply with eu standards. Still 280 eur is a bit too much for a Uni-T as far as I'm concerned.
Uni-T, Volcraft, APPA  :palm: - presented as russian brand (really OEM Chinese cooperative society as first two), probably this is devices cover needs those who need measure something... This products for hypermarket's shelf, for those who go buying hummer, nails and probably DDM in additional to...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:25:30 pm by serggio »

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 01:52:58 am »
Can't go wrong with the Fluke 87V. Diode test beep, Auto Hold/Touch Hold, always on backlight, perfect continuity tester, fast Peak Min/Max, super long battery life, the list goes on. If I could have only one meter, this would be it. For a second meter, maybe an 87III for the high res (1000 count) bar graph or an original series 88 for the Change Alert (no other meter has anything like it) and also the high res (2000 count) bar graph. Basically, the 80 series can't be beat.
for(;;);

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 03:33:59 am »
Can't go wrong with the Fluke 87V. Diode test beep, Auto Hold/Touch Hold, always on backlight, perfect continuity tester, fast Peak Min/Max, super long battery life, the list goes on. If I could have only one meter, this would be it. For a second meter, maybe an 87III for the high res (1000 count) bar graph or an original series 88 for the Change Alert (no other meter has anything like it) and also the high res (2000 count) bar graph. Basically, the 80 series can't be beat.

...and a pickup truck.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 09:14:14 am »

But with a rather pathetic +/-1.5% +5 digits DCA "precision", whereas the Brymen guarantees a more reasonable +/-0.5% +3 digits.
What are you drinking?
It's a 50,000 count meter with an accuracy of 0.1%+5 and a resolution of 0.1uA.
The 257 is in a junior league.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 10:37:56 am »

What are you drinking?
It's a 50,000 count meter with an accuracy of 0.1%+5 and a resolution of 0.1uA.
The 257 is in a junior league.

LOL, I'm such an idiot.  :palm:

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:45 pm »
The Brymen has arrived! Seems ok, though it neither looks nor feels as nice as the Fluke 110 series. The backlight is a nice colour, but goes out after an annoyingly short period. Screen is unreadable from steep angles (on the Fluke this happened at shallow angles). But it passes the most important test of them all with flying colours: it actually fits in my toolbox:

Edit: Yes, my toolbox is in bad need of a tidy-up.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:41:21 pm by Lomax »

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 03:38:32 pm »
Snap! I have a BM257s and use the same multi contact test probes too :-)

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »
Snap! I have a BM257s and use the same multi contact test probes too :-)
Best probes evva! Had them for donkey's years; great for PCB probing, awkward locations, and anything you don't want to get your fingers too close to. They also make a most satisfying "plop" sound when you unplug them. Ahhh, the little things in life...

Edit: Do you have the same toolbox as well by any chance? Raaco Compact - highly recommended!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:27:12 pm by Lomax »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf