Author Topic: Yet another multimeter suggestion request...  (Read 14578 times)

Offline LomaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
Yet another multimeter suggestion request...
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:36:17 pm »
I do realise this is an all too common thread subject, but I cannot think of a better place to ask... Up until a few months ago, my "everyday" multimeter was a Fluke 117, which ticked a lot of boxes for me, but ultimately had a few fatal flaws, most notably the absence of a mA range, and the poor readability of the LCD display. I got rid of it, thinking I would get something better, but I've been distracted by other projects and never got round to making a decision. Now however, I am only a couple weeks away from a major project, where I will be working on site and where my TTi bench multimeter won't be suitable. So I urgently need to buy a new handheld multimeter, but I cannot seem to find an "ideal" candidate. I need something with the following attributes (roughly in order of priority):
  • Small size
  • Backlit LCD w. "always on"
  • Industrial durability
  • True RMS
  • Min 6,000 counts
  • mA & mV ranges
  • Hold, min/max & average
  • Bargraph
  • Capacitance and frequency
  • Price <£300

Bonus points for any of the following:
  • Counter function
  • Dual display
  • "Touch hold" function
  • RS232/USB connection
  • Temperature

I know this sounds very much like a Fluke 87V, but are there any smaller meters out there with a similar spec? I loved the size of the 117...

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Yet another multimeter suggestion request...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:06:23 pm »
Size is a problem. You may have to compromise.
Best bet: Sanwa PC773.
Same size as the 117, but lighter at 360gr instead of 550gr.

http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/items/detail.php?id=17

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15:33 pm »
I do realise this is an all too common thread subject, but I cannot think of a better place to ask... Up until a few months ago, my "everyday" multimeter was a Fluke 117, which ticked a lot of boxes for me, but ultimately had a few fatal flaws, most notably the absence of a mA range, and the poor readability of the LCD display. I got rid of it, thinking I would get something better, but I've been distracted by other projects and never got round to making a decision. Now however, I am only a couple weeks away from a major project, where I will be working on site and where my TTi bench multimeter won't be suitable. So I urgently need to buy a new handheld multimeter, but I cannot seem to find an "ideal" candidate. I need something with the following attributes (roughly in order of priority):
  • Small size
  • Backlit LCD w. "always on"
  • Industrial durability
  • True RMS
  • Min 6,000 counts
  • mA & mV ranges
  • Hold, min/max & average
  • Bargraph
  • Capacitance and frequency
  • Price <£300

Fluke 115 comes in at about half your budget. 'Size' is subjective but I think it ticks all those boxes:

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-115.htm?PID=55993
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:19:38 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »
Hmmm. Intersting.

Doesn't seem to be available in Europe though?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
Fluke 115 comes in at about half your budget and I think it ticks all those boxes
I do like the design and form factor of the 114/115/116/117 but no, none of them have a mA range. There's a uA range on the 116, which is as useless to me as the 10A range. Most of the stuff I deal with is in the 1mA to 500mA range. Then there's that atrocious LCD display... Really, Fluke should be ashamed of themselves releasing a meter with such a poor quality display.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:25:58 pm »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27:32 pm »
Possibly.  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 03:33:14 pm »
Possibly.  ;D
Always a bit of a gamble - sometimes I've had stuff come through without any fees! But yeah, the Fluke 87V is in a completely different league, and I'm quite tempted - just worried about the space it will take up in my already very cramped toolbox... Alas, I don't drive, or I would solve the problem by getting a bigger toolbox, but I'm already at the limit for what I can carry - not to mention check in on a flight.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 03:37:18 pm »
I do like the design and form factor of the 114/115/116/117 but no, none of them have a mA range. There's a uA range on the 116, which is as useless to me as the 10A range. Most of the stuff I deal with is in the 1mA to 500mA range.

How much of that work is in single digit milliamps?

Those meters don't have a range selection that says 'mA' but they'll measure down to a milliamp quite happily. For 10mA and upwards they're quite accurate.

(but I guess you already know that if you've owned a 117)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:44:19 pm by Fungus »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 03:40:47 pm »
Does 'SANWA' branding pass the test for "on site" work?  :popcorn:

(ie. do you need to impress the clients?)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:44:42 pm by Fungus »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »
Possibly.  ;D
Always a bit of a gamble - sometimes I've had stuff come through without any fees! But yeah, the Fluke 87V is in a completely different league, and I'm quite tempted - just worried about the space it will take up in my already very cramped toolbox...

The thing is... physical size is related to safety. The higher up the ladder you go, the safer (and bigger) they get.

There's not much you can do about that.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »
Played a bit with http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/items/detail.php?id=19 which seems similar. It's an ok instrument but somewhat annoying, slow scratchy continuity,etc. Was nicely built tho but I'd go for a Brymen. Sanwa 500/5000 have brymen ICs inside but are not very rugged, don't know about the new 700/7000 series.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 03:59:06 pm »
The thing is... physical size is related to safety. The higher up the ladder you go, the safer (and bigger) they get.
Safety how? There's no way I can hold an 87V safely in one hand. Maybe your hands a bigger than mine. The 117 was the perfect size - and much less likely to hurt anyone if you were drop it on their head :)

Edit: I think the problem with the humongous Flukes is an Americanism; "bigger is better". I'm European, and for me, smaller is better. To a point of course.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:01:49 pm by Lomax »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 04:11:14 pm »
Played a bit with http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/items/detail.php?id=19 which seems similar. It's an ok instrument but somewhat annoying, slow scratchy continuity,etc. Was nicely built tho but I'd go for a Brymen. Sanwa 500/5000 have brymen ICs inside but are not very rugged, don't know about the new 700/7000 series.
The Brymen 820 series looks great, from a specs perspective, but while it is a little more grip friendly (the lower section is narrower than the top), it's actually larger than the Fluke 87V overall:

Brymen 820 series
208x103x64.5mm (with holster)

Fluke 87
201 x 98 x 52 mm (with holster)

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 04:13:37 pm »
If your budget is about 300 £, consider Fluke 17x series. Made in USA, not compatible with Fluke 11x. 11x - it's a toy for Chinese market

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 04:16:49 pm »
If your budget is about 300 £, consider Fluke 17x series. Made in USA, not compatible with Fluke 11x. 11x - it's a toy for Chinese market
That might indeed be the one, thanks!

Fluke 110 series
160 x 96 x 46 mm (with holster)

Brymen 820 series

Fluke 80 series

Fluke 170 series
185 x 90 x 43 mm (with holster)

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 04:19:43 pm »
 I owned Fluke 179, but I change it at Fluke 287. I loved my 179, it's are true well made! It's just little bigger that 11x, but have excellent clear display TL175 leads and thermocouple included

https://youtu.be/FoqF37-Y2P8
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:23:11 pm by serggio »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 04:23:38 pm »
I owned Fluke 179, but I change it at Fluke 287. I loved my 179, it's are true well made! It's just little bigger that 11x, but have excellent clear display TL175 leads and thermocouple included
Cool. Then I just have to ask, what made you upgrade to the 287? The 170 series is undeniably short on bells+whistles...

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
Yet another multimeter suggestion request...
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 04:33:08 pm »
I use my 287 primary at home, and I need logging possibility. I have old chinese Mastek or something else and it enough to check battery in my car :)

But believe me, when you take 179 at hand, you filling well made robust DMM! It's not compartible with 11x even.

I want to add more... if you'll scratch your 179 or whatever, go at Fluke Store at Ebay and you'll find any case/display/other part that you'll need replace! No such ones for 11x  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:42:33 pm by serggio »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 04:50:04 pm »
I use my 287 primary at home, and I need logging possibility. I have old chinese Mastek or something else and it enough to check battery in my car :)
Gotcha. I've got a TTi 1705 bench meter at home, which I got hold of for cheap. Been carrying my old school multimeter since I got rid of the Fluke 117 - an old Tillquist which I've had since I was 16. And hey, you can read its screen from any angle - and it has two mA ranges, and even a mV range of sorts - so three up on the 117 there :D It is also extremely compact at just 125 x 68 x 25mm. But yeah, no RMS, no backlight, no min/max/avg, and highly questionable precision...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:54:02 pm by Lomax »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 04:53:35 pm »

I was going to suggest that but no bar graph. Size is somewhere between 117 and 87V and they measure just about everything. It's a good option if you can live without a bar graph. Price is about $120 on eBay (you have to import them).

Edit: Oh, I thought "17x" meant Fluke 17B+.

Safety how? There's no way I can hold an 87V safely in one hand. Maybe your hands a bigger than mine. The 117 was the perfect size - and much less likely to hurt anyone if you were drop it on their head :)

Increased safety means they have to leave bigger gaps between the components on the PCB so sparks can't jump around inside.

Edit: I think the problem with the humongous Flukes is an Americanism; "bigger is better". I'm European, and for me, smaller is better. To a point of course.

That, too. If you're driving a pickup truck you want everything else to be massive or it'll look like you bought a car that's too big.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 04:55:41 pm »
I like my Fluke 87 but it is a bit on the chunky side. I think the reason for the size is partly to make the display large and easy to see, and partly the bulky holster and heavy duty construction to make it durable. It's always a tradeoff between size, features and ease of use.

I don't mind a bulky meter so much, what gets me is the gigantic mobile phones that have flooded the market but that's another topic altogether.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 05:05:42 pm »
Increased safety means they have to leave bigger gaps between the components on the PCB so sparks can't jump around inside.
That may be true for industrial HV applications, but I've certainly never measured anything that made sparks jump around inside a multimeter. Nothing to stop Fluke catering to the electronics market separately from their HV/intrinsically safe products - most of us don't deal with those situations, in fact we're probably not even allowed to, in European countries anyway.

That, too. If you're driving a pickup truck you want everything else to be massive or it'll look like you bought a car that's too big.

:-DD

I don't mind a bulky meter so much, what gets me is the gigantic mobile phones that have flooded the market but that's another topic altogether.
^ This. One million times this.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 05:07:35 pm »
The Brymen 820 series looks great, from a specs perspective, but while it is a little more grip friendly (the lower section is narrower than the top), it's actually larger than the Fluke 87V overall:

Brymen 820 series

Fluke 87

Not sure if the BM257 fits all your requirements but it's small, bargraph,6k counts, true RMS etc...  Take a look at dave's teardown/review.

http://www.brymen.com/cata250/BM250_Catalog.pdf

Nothing wrong with the sanwa but I think you'd feel a bit disappointed after a fluke. Their higher series 700/7000 looks nice but not sure about the size.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf