Author Topic: Wiltron 560A Scalar Network Analyzer  (Read 6400 times)

Offline R_G_B_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Wiltron 560A Scalar Network Analyzer
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:47:59 pm »

Hi I managed to get this old CRT Wiltron 560A Scalar Network Analyzer off ebay for a thew pounds I know its a network analyzer, but is it worth having? I don't know why I was bidding on the thing but I ended up winning it.

R_G_B

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: Wiltron 560A Scalar Network Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »
It needs a swept frequency source, directional coupler or bridge and three power detectors to make it useful.

Offline R_G_B_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 03:17:33 pm »
Thanks for your reply KJDS
R_G_B

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:41:44 pm »
I have no experience in using this particular instrument but I agree with KJDS that you need a fair bit of extra hardware to make it useful.

In 2014 this old analyser is probably best suited to doing research/design work (on the cheap) up at >>10GHz if you can find suitable detector probes and a swept source and couplers etc.

The old HP8620C sweeper with a suitable plugin might be compatible (and cheap) but the stumbling block may be finding detector probes that are compatible and not already damaged by a previous user.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:48:27 pm by G0HZU »

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 05:46:59 pm »
I managed to do something useful (e.g. gain vs amplitude measurement at 2-14GHz) with a 8756A - with detectors - that I borrowed. However, it required Python, an expensive power splitter,  an arb. waveform gen, a microwave sig gen and a GPIB card...
If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
This is basically a digital storage display with two very good log amplifiers with about 100db of range and 0.1 db linearity, good to about -62dbm. It needs a sweep generator to work. When properly set up it can resolve 0.10db using the store-subtract mode. Originally intended to be used with Wiltron sweep generators. Since it is Detector based, the operating bandwidth is limited by the detectors and signal source used. In theory, DC to daylight.

The display was built by Tektronix as an OEM product.

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 04:01:08 pm »
If interested I have a spare Marconi 6581 Transmission Line Test Head which contains a Wiltron Autotester.

The Marconi unit also includes a power divider, 3 way power splitter and two detectors, all working up to 20GHz.

This was sold many years ago on ebay, but the buyer never paid so just been sitting in the box of RF items to be sorted, one day. I tested it when put on ebay and worked fine, but no longer have the Marconi 6500 or the Wiltron 560 to test it with.

I need hardly add that these are delicate precision instruments, always use a 10dB attenuator to try and stop inadvertant destruction.

The sale price on ebay was 170GBP, if interested then let me know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf