Author Topic: Who is the OEM for this PSU? Multicomp MP711057  (Read 973 times)

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Who is the OEM for this PSU? Multicomp MP711057
« on: May 04, 2024, 08:41:52 am »
Does anyone know who the actual OEM is for this power supply?

Farnell are selling it under their Multicomp branding, model MP711057.

I'm sure I've seen an almost identical looking one under another brand name, but I can't remember where or what. Hoping I might be able to get the same thing for cheaper direct from AliExpress or similar. Unless it's crap, of course... ;D

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

The following users thanked this post: HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
Re: Who is the OEM for this PSU? Multicomp MP711057
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 09:25:49 am »
Ah, thanks. :-+

Haha, I feel stupid now. I'd already looked at Owon, as I recalled a review of one of their PSUs on YouTube some time ago, but it was for the SPM series, so I discounted them as it wasn't the same. Should've actually persisted on that trail and actually looked at their website. :)

Seems one can get the Owon SPE3103 - appears to be the equivalent model to the MP711057 - on AliExpress for about £20 less.

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 09:45:49 am »
Avoid - I got this Owon branded one (60V version of same PSU) for 90 quid on amazon (black friday) and it was so bad I returned it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0C2CNYN2P

Way too noisy, both electrically and acoustically - had a look inside and it seems the main culprit is the rectifier diode and snubbers, which get stinking hot regardless of output power so need constant cooling, and there's also 100s of millivolts of switching noise spikes (see scope captures attached).

I really wanted this to be usable given the price and form factor but sadly it's not.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 09:59:46 am by Hydron »

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 09:50:27 am »
Not really.
from Farnell, £130.51 ( ex VAT ) does not include VAT.
from Aliexpress Total €107.99 Inclusive of VAT
I don't know where I can change the currency at Farnell, but if I calculated correctly, it would end up costing me over 200 Euros from Farnell.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 10:56:28 am »
Way too noisy, both electrically and acoustically - had a look inside and it seems the main culprit is the rectifier diode and snubbers, which get stinking hot regardless of output power so need constant cooling, and there's also 100s of millivolts of switching noise spikes (see scope captures attached).

Ehhh, I'm not really bothered about how noise-free the output is. That's why I'm looking at cheap switchers. I'm mainly after 10A capability and remotely-controllable with SCPI. But if it's quite egregiously noisy on the output, perhaps I'll reconsider.

Not really.
from Farnell, £130.51 ( ex VAT ) does not include VAT.
from Aliexpress Total €107.99 Inclusive of VAT
I don't know where I can change the currency at Farnell, but if I calculated correctly, it would end up costing me over 200 Euros from Farnell.

Where are you finding that price on AliExpress? Are you sure it's inclusive of VAT, and/or for the SPE3103 model?

Price including VAT from Farnell is £156 for me. Price with VAT for Owon model from AliExpress here (Owon's own store) is £132.

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 01:19:24 pm »
Uh if the noise isn't an issue, then given the 60V/10A/300W version (and also the 30V/10A/300W model after discount at checkout) is only a hundred quid (VAT inc.) on amazon, why even consider aliexpress (which will charge VAT ontop of the headline price) with it's extra risk and lack of return option?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 01:22:15 pm by Hydron »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 01:36:13 pm »
I can recommend looking at PSUs from Rek and Gophert in Aliexpress. They have 300W fanless versions which work well and are around half the price (at least when I bought a couple).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 04:16:08 pm »
Uh if the noise isn't an issue, then given the 60V/10A/300W version (and also the 30V/10A/300W model after discount at checkout) is only a hundred quid (VAT inc.) on amazon, why even consider aliexpress (which will charge VAT ontop of the headline price) with it's extra risk and lack of return option?

Huh, so it is. I tend to skip over Amazon for anything these days, given how much of a shitshow it's become.

Or... I could get this re-brand for even less: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Programmable-Precision-Multiple-Protection-Software/dp/B0928LX2D1/ :P (If one doesn't mind the colour scheme!)

I can recommend looking at PSUs from Rek and Gophert in Aliexpress. They have 300W fanless versions which work well and are around half the price (at least when I bought a couple).

Not programmable, which is what I'm after.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf