Author Topic: Which one should I buy Siglent SDS1202X-E 200Mhz or Hantek DSO5202P 200Mhz  (Read 21049 times)

Offline suryaputhraTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello experts

Siglent SDS1202X-E 200Mhz 379USD
Hantek DSO5202P 200Mhz    274USD

Apart from price Siglent offers serial decoding and 14mpts memory depth but Hantek offers 24K apart from serial decoding does this low 24K is an issue. Thanks in advance.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Hello experts

Siglent SDS1202X-E 200Mhz 379USD
Hantek DSO5202P 200Mhz    274USD

Apart from price Siglent offers serial decoding and 14mpts memory depth but Hantek offers 24K apart from serial decoding does this low 24K is an issue. Thanks in advance.
Of course any comment from me may seem biased so I add those of a long time member with many decades of experience:
<snipped>
I sell also Owon and have previously sold Hantek and Rigol.
(also Owon have very low failure rate but not exatly zero but ~1%)

Hantek - so much warranty time problems and also so much just DOA units from factory. Never want this catastroph repeating. In worst phase incoming Hanteks failure percent in my quality control was well over 25% (~40%). (depending how to count lots).  It was finally -  game over.

Rigol - long time ago I sell also R. -  never get any answer from Rigol for solve any problems. So, I stopped.   In  my own use for some dedicated purpose  I have also new Rigol (1000Z series) but I do not even think to sell these. (price competition is far away from "fair play" and I do not want be free working part of this game)
Further info to help you decide can be found in other threads if you use a search.
Here's just one:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-xds3202e-vs-siglent-sds1202x-e/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Regular Contributor
I had gone through many threads on the eevblog but again confused on the decision so opened new thread to get conclusive answer.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I had gone through many threads on the eevblog but again confused on the decision so opened new thread to get conclusive answer.
Download each datasheet and study them carefully comparing each spec and then one or the other will stand out for sure.
The SDS1202X-E are selling very well...........why would that be ?  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: suryaputhra

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
@suryaputhra:
I would leave Owon and Hantek in the shop because they are riddled with bugs which never get fixed. Siglent and Rigol are slightly better but it may still take years before all the bugs get fixed.
What do you need the scope for? Hobby or work? Which features do you require? Most scopes will display a signal just fine but the cheaper scopes usually fail when it comes to features like measurements, maths and decoding because the firmware isn't thouroughly tested by the manufacturer.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
@suryaputhra:
I would leave Owon and Hantek in the shop because they are riddled with bugs which never get fixed. Siglent and Rigol are slightly better but it may still take years before all the bugs get fixed.
What do you need the scope for? Hobby or work? Which features do you require? Most scopes will display a signal just fine but the cheaper scopes usually fail when it comes to features like measurements, maths and decoding because the firmware isn't thouroughly tested by the manufacturer.

This is for small enterprise company work

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
If that is the case then good support from the product distributor should be a consideration and part of the decision, unfortunately it's an important aspect that is quite often taken for granted until assistance is required, saving a hundred bucks now could cost you more in the long run particularly for a business who depends on this equipment being reliable.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
I run a small business and I own the SDS1202X-E, I've very happy with it.  It's a new scope that uses a Zynq 7020 FPGA at its heart, that is a VERY powerful device that makes the Siglent a delight to use.  It has had 1 firmware update and another is on the way (apparently), it also has a nice FFT feature that maybe the Hantek does not.

I paid right around $350 US for mine so maybe there's a discount to be had that you haven't found yet?  The serial decode alone is worth the extra $100 and the deep memory clinches the decision IMHO.

I own 2 other scopes, a 2-channel Rigol MDO2072A and an Agilent MSO7104B, both are embedded in my test bench stack and both cost more than the Siglent (way more in the case of Agilent) but the SDS1202X-E is my portable scope, I put it in the back of the car and take it to client sites without worrying that it might be stolen or broken.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
@suryaputhra:
Then I'd spend some more and get a scope which works for sure especially if it is going to be your daily use (primary) oscilloscope. There is nothing more frustrating than having a tool which doesn't deliver when it has to (been there, done that). Also consider getting a 4 channel (or MSO) model if you work with digital circuits.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
MR(Materiel requirement department) shortlisted these two models only based on the allotted budget so need to select between these two only. So the question which one to select Pros and cons.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
...I'd spend some more and get a scope which works for sure especially if it is going to be your daily use (primary) oscilloscope...
A long time ago I watched a quality training film where the presenter made the point that quality simply means meeting the requirement; he used the example of a small economy car vs a Rolls Royce, pointing out that most people would say that the RR is a quality car but the economy car is not but, if the economy car does what you require; starts when you turn the key, gets you from A to B, and meets your budget requirements, then it too is a quality car.

I paid $350 for my SDS1202X-E and it's meeting my requirements.  Last week I needed 4 channels so I used my $10,000 Agilent MSO7104B but that didn't make me think that the SDS1202X-E was a bad purchase.  For a 2-channel, 200 MHz scope with free serial decoding and deep memory, it's hard to beat.

[EDIT] Oh and I can report that yes, the SDS1202X-E actually works.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:26:22 am by Gandalf_Sr »

The following users thanked this post: tacticalX, suryaputhra

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
MR(Materiel requirement department) shortlisted these two models only based on the allotted budget so need to select between these two only. So the question which one to select Pros and cons.
I can only vouch for the cheap oscilloscopes I have actually tried. These are the Rigol DS1000Z and the SDS1202X-E. Both are useful for my purposes.

Maybe you can share some of your requirements (I understand that you want a 200 MHz scope, which rules out the Rigol DS1000Z) and we can answer wether they hit good or bad points for each model. However I have absolutely no experience with the Hantek.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
...I'd spend some more and get a scope which works for sure especially if it is going to be your daily use (primary) oscilloscope...
Did you do a full functional test?
You keep harping on the SDS1202X-E works great for you but you don't even use it as your daily scope. Why not? Why not get rid of your Agilent and Rigol scopes if the Siglent is so great? The OP is clearly asking for a scope for daily use and not one which is not a big loss when it gets damaged or stolen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:10:47 am by nctnico »

The following users thanked this post: modoran

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Did you do a full functional test?
You keep harping on the SDS1202X-E works great for you but you don't even use it as your daily scope. Why not? Why not get rid of your Agilent and Rigol scopes if the Siglent is so great?
You keep 'harping on' with statements like...
Then I'd spend some more and get a scope which works for sure
which I thought was misleading because it implies that cheap scopes don't work - I have news for you, they do. 

Have I tested every last feature of my SDS1202X-E? No.  Have I tested every last feature of my MSO7104B or any other piece of test equipment I own? No. It's possible that there are bugs in both scopes and it's likely that Agilent did more thorough testing than Siglent but I would expect nothing less from a scope that cost 28 times as much.

I do use the SDS1202X-E as my daily scope and 90% of my requirements are met by it but that doesn't mean that I should get rid of my 4 channel, 1 GHz bandwidth one although the thought has crossed my mind.

The original question was should the poster buy Hantek or Siglent - I chipped in with my experiences of the Siglent but I don't believe you own either.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I have owned a Siglent SDS2204 scope and I ended up selling it for scrap (and losing 1700 euro in the process) because the firmware wasn't useable for any real work. Even today the firmware isn't bug free for the SDS2204. The same goes for my Siglent SDG1010. When I got it, I installed Lecroy's firmware on it because Siglent's own firmware was even more crappy. It has taken years until Siglent got rid of most bugs but there are still things which don't work (like log sweep).

So when I bought a new scope (a GW Instek GDS-2204E) I did a full functional test on it to see if it actually worked (which it did albeit after some bug fixes I received within 4 weeks) before deciding to keep it.

If you need a scope for work you need one which doesn't throw you surprises at least convenient times. Example which happened with the SDS2204. I took it to a customer to look at a CAN bus. Turns out triggering on specific CAN message IDs didn't work!  :palm: That just reflects bad on someone because:
A) you have shitty tools
B) you don't know how to use your tools
C) A + B
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:39:42 am by nctnico »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Last week I needed 4 channels so I used my $10,000 Agilent MSO7104B but that didn't make me think that the SDS1202X-E was a bad purchase.  For a 2-channel, 200 MHz scope with free serial decoding and deep memory, it's hard to beat.

Lucky you, having a fancy 4-channel 'scope available.

This isn't an option for a hobbyist at home. Choosing a 2-channel scope could be a mistake.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:44:28 am by Fungus »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
I do consider myself lucky although the purchase of the MSO7104B was a MAJOR purchase decision that was made in part because I'd had a really good year and any purchases I made would be offset against taxes.

I grew up in the UK as a poor hobbyist and I always look for value for money; my Siglent SDS1202X-E has worked well for me and seems to offer good performance at a very reasonable price.  Clearly nctnico has had a bad experience with his Siglent SDS2204 and that has (reasonably) made him suspicious of Siglent quality - I own 2 pieces of Siglent test gear (I also have an SPD3303X-E power supply) and they are both good quality IMHO.

If I could only afford to own 1 scope, I might go for a 4 channel model but the OP asked about 2 specific 2-channel scopes.  I would add that, for bus decoding, scopes are good for seeing the actual waveform is good - and yes this can be done on 2 channels (4 is better), but for actual traffic capture there are many $10-$20 tools available that would be more useful like the (quirky) Bus Pirate or the cheap $10 logic analyzer clones from eBay used with SigRok.

Peace brothers! Live long and prosper. :)

• Regular Contributor
Hello Experts,
Our company manufactures Multi functional three 3 phase energy meters, power supplies for various industrial needs. flow meters, FCU control units, SMPS power modules. We should deal with various kinds of micro controllers, ICs and as you know other parts this our work.  So suggest suitable scope.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
It does sound like you'd be better off with a 4-channel scope.  There are many 4 Ch scopes available, Rigol DS4024 or (premium used) Keysight MSOX2024A on eBay - both in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.

Do you have a budget limit?  If you can run to $3,000 then I'd recommend the MSOX2024A with the application bundle DSOX2APPBNDL for $1,250.  Note that all the Keysight scopes on eBay have a [Make Offer] option and most people find they'll accept 90% of the asking price, this would put your company right around $3,000 for a 4-channel scope with full manufacturers warranty, all original accessories, and official I2C, SPI, CAN, LIN, RS232 serial decode and 20 MHz wavegen + more for a very reasonable price.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
The Keysight MSOX2000 series isn't bad but another good option is the GW Instek MSO2000 series. The price is around $2000 for the most complete model. It has deeper memory, faster & longer FFT, input filtering, internal storage, dual waveform generator and some other extra features.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
input filtering,

Not really. It is digital side post processing filtering. This do not prevent ADC aliasing at all.
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Regular Contributor
Hi Experts, high end models suggested by you are there in the company's Design and manufacturing head quarters. The scopes in question are for field executives mainly at service centres. That is the reason MR dept shortlisted cheaper models. If you feel even for service work these short listed models not suitable then suggest us suitable cheaper models. Thanks in advance.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor

But, later, you provided a couple of important points that make all the difference in the world!

These scopes are for field service and cheap is a criteria.

Some of the 'gee whiz' features that are helpful to the hobbyist or lab tech are seldom useful to the field service tech.  Mostly, they need to see waveforms.  If they don't see the waveform, they replace the board.  It is unlikely that anybody does chip level troubleshooting/replacement in the field.  The inputs or outputs don't look like, replace the board.

Your choices are from a small set of two or three:  The Rigol DS1054Z running with 50 MHz capability but 4 channels or the Siglent SDS1202X-E.  I doubt that any reputable company would go along with unlocking the DS1054Z so unless 4 channels is an absolute requirement, the Siglent is probably the way to go.  You simply can't go wrong with more bandwidth, particularly if you are troubleshooting digital circuits.

Buy a few, put them in the field and see what happens.  You'll get plenty of feedback whether you want it or not.  For certain, the requirements will become a lot more clear.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
input filtering,
Not really. It is digital side post processing filtering. This do not prevent ADC aliasing at all.
Who was talking about ADC aliasing? Input filtering is an extremely usefull feature if you want to look at low level signals which are otherwise masked by other signals. For one of my more recent projects input filtering has been a huge help.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:18:16 pm by nctnico »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Hi Experts, high end models suggested by you are there in the company's Design and manufacturing head quarters. The scopes in question are for field executives mainly at service centres. That is the reason MR dept shortlisted cheaper models. If you feel even for service work these short listed models not suitable then suggest us suitable cheaper models. Thanks in advance.
If it is for field service then you should definitely take a look at MicSigs TO1000 tablet scopes. They can be used battery powered, they have a big screen in a relatively thin case and have a touch-screen only interface so no knobs which can be broken off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf