Author Topic: Which AC+DC (Both together) DMM Choice To Buy  (Read 13374 times)

Offline ACvoltsTopic starter

• Contributor
Which AC+DC (Both together) DMM Choice To Buy
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:29:16 pm »
I'm looking for a decent hand held DMM that does AC, DC, AC+DC and has Peak Hold (or equilavent).
I've seen it in the Tenma brand but I don't actually know a DMM which has this specific "AC+DC"
specification.  It's not like you can search for it on a site which offers many brands and just pick out
brands thru a check-box.  And then compare.

I'm on a budget, so please if you know something under $200.00 US?  I've done some searching
for a budget price Arbitrary Function Generator, which I found for under $500 @ Tequipment.com
with the Instek AFG-2225 ($442.70).   The reason I ask is there probably is someone who knows a good
one and can save me some time.  Because there is a lot of just the AC, DC voltage in DMMs, but not
the AC+DC spec.  And then there is the cheap brand names one should perhaps avoid like Temna, etc.
etc.  Which you can find on Ebay but I just want something better than say, "Uni-T" equipment here.  :-\

Thanks for your replies in advance.  You people out here in this Forum are sharp and am thankful that
I can ask this kind of question, get an answer, and reduce the brain fry that can be produced from lack
of knowledge.  :-DMM

ACvolts

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: Which AC+DC (Both together) DMM Choice To Buy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:40:51 pm »
BM867 should fit that requirement. however, with shipping and import duties, it might be pushing that budget. 867 is like 160$ usd, shipping for a bm869 (867 should be similarly packaged) like 20-30$.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:45:40 pm »
BM867 should fit that requirement. however, with shipping and import duties, it might be pushing that budget. 867 is like 160$ usd, shipping for a bm869 (867 should be similarly packaged) like 20-30$.

Checking into now... Found a youtube vid on it..

Thanks, I will find prices now.   :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:54:44 pm by ACvolts »

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:54:27 pm »

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »
The Uni-t 61E or equivalent is also a good dmm to start whit. It is around 60$ on ebay/shops.
Mjlorton on youtube has a bunch of video's /reviews of it.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline Frant

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 11:18:02 pm »
I'm looking for a decent hand held DMM that does AC, DC, AC+DC and has Peak Hold (or equilavent).
I've seen it in the Tenma brand but I don't actually know a DMM which has this specific "AC+DC"
specification.  It's not like you can search for it on a site which offers many brands and just pick out
brands thru a check-box.  And then compare.

Sanwa PC5000a has the AC+DC measurement function. As far as I know, it is not too expensive. I have the PC5000 and I'm very satisfied with it.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:59 pm »
best place to buy from NA:   http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm867/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/

They have a BM869 too.  I'm trying to find the difference between the two.  I can't see it as easy
with the .pdf because the .pdf uses both the 69 and the 67 version on the page.  :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:52:57 pm »
The Uni-t 61E or equivalent is also a good dmm to start whit. It is around 60$ on ebay/shops.
Mjlorton on youtube has a bunch of video's /reviews of it.

I'm debating myself right now.  But I believe I've seen the Uni-T, but with all the extra features
of the Brymen it's getting easier to choose the BM867.

@ Frant: The Sanwa looks good but it's $200.00 or more than the BM867.  The quality looks very
good though Frant!

Thanks peeps.  Anyone else have a DMM, please plug away here.  :-+
ACvolts

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:43 am »
You could also look for a second hand Fluke 87V it is pretty much the industry standard dmm.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 12:24:35 am »
You could also look for a second hand Fluke 87V it is pretty much the industry standard dmm.

Yes, love the Fluke.  My post says, "Budget".  I'm keeping the Flukes in mind, eventually will get one.
But I did find this at Tequipment:
Protek 608
http://www.tequipment.net/Protek608.asp?gclid=CLK4otDZrbgCFapAMgodQQgA_A
 Features

DC accuracy 0.05%
    Low voltage Ohms measurement and conductance
    Auto and software calibration
    Dual back-lit display and K type thermocouple
    Measures duty cycle, pulse width and conductance
    Compare function for go-no go testing
    Peak detection for capturing high speed signals
    Peak Hold   :-+
    Update rate  2x a second   :o
    Binary bit expression bargraph
    AC and AC + DC true RMS AC voltage and current measurements
    Auto/manual ranging
    Test zener diodes up to 20 volts
    Min/Max/Avg relative modes
    Memory store and recall
    Fuse protected current ranges
    Cat II 600V and CE approved

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:53:27 am by ACvolts »

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 12:49:03 am »
I bought my fluke 87V a few months ago for ~160 euro on ebay in as good as new condition.
In the usa it should be much easyer getting one for <200$ in good condition.
I compared it to my Siemens voltage calibrators , DMM check plus and referenced against 5 1/2 digits Rigol DM3058 and it was spot on.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:07:07 am »
I bought my fluke 87V a few months ago for ~160 euro on ebay in as good as new condition.
In the usa it should be much easyer getting one for <200$ in good condition.
I compared it to my Siemens voltage calibrators , DMM check plus and referenced against 5 1/2 digits Rigol DM3058 and it was spot on.

don't believe it has an ac+dc setting

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:27 am »
@ Fsck: I believe your right about that.

I did find an obscure DMM called, "APPA models:300,303,305".  But it's not made easily
available in the USA.
In NewZealand:

PDF: http://dev.avo.co.nz/images/stories/pdf/datasheets/Appa300series-DMM.pdf

Good looking DMM, but expensive.  :(  :o
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:35:12 am by ACvolts »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 02:14:44 am »
In your price range and even higher I would definitely go for the Brymen BM867. I have the BM869 and the main differences are that the BM867 has a lower CAT rating because of the fuses installed, it has lower accuracy specs and it does not have temperature measurements. Other that that it is the same built like a tank high quality meter as the BM869. They share the same circuit board with some different components so you could change the fuses if you feel it necessary to get the higher safety.

The other possible option is the Uni-T UT71D. It does everything a meter should, but it is slow and not to be used on anything other than the workbench with low energy circuits. It has the advantage of being just $170 shipped, PC connection and software included, internal logging to 10000 points, and a 4000 count mode at 10 times a second. Just don't use it on high energy circuits. Oh yes it also does temperature. I have a UT71E.

Out of the two meters I would push the BM867.

Offline chibiace

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 02:36:32 am »
I have an appa 63n not many features but pretty good build quality. Would be interesting to try a more featured model out.

As for my recommendation. Go for the bryman 867
He Who Controls The Spice Controls The Universe

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 03:54:01 am »
I did find an obscure DMM called, "APPA models:300,303,305".  But it's not made easily
available in the USA.
AppaTech is sold under a different labels.  See

http://www.tequipment.net/Ideal61-633.html

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 04:24:25 am »
APPA and that Ideal do not seem to be very impressive for the price!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »
Out of the two meters I would push the BM867.
+1 for the quality of the Brymen brand. I have a BM857 and its build quality is absolutely great.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

alm

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 05:01:53 pm »
You know that you can calculate the AC+DC RMS voltage from the DC voltage and AC RMS voltage, right?

Vac+dc = sqrt(Vac^2 + Vdc^2)

Not very convenient, but an OK workaround if you only need to occasionally know an AC+DC value.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »
My head was swimming when I first started this topic.  :scared:  But it's getting much easier now.
Yes I will be working with Higher Voltage!  I believe I should get the Brymen.  But it's extra for the PC-Link software and cord.  :o  It's between the Brymen 867 and the Protek 608.   The Protek 608 has a lower
safety rating, Cat II @ 600v.  :rant:
@ Lightages: I'm very happy to know this.  That the fuses just need to be changed out.  Did you get the PC Link software/cord?  What is the cost of that if you did and is it worth it?  :-\
@ retiredcaps: Thanks for the info.  Very helpful.
@ alm: Yeah, eventually I would have remembered this.  But do I want to do math all the time?
Writing down the equation: Vac+dc = sqrt(Vac^2 + Vdc^2)  :-+

@ all: With the Brymen, the 500,000 count is just excellent to have on seeing things juice up at low voltages.  Build quality and accuracy level is really good.  The one thing in the Fluke 87v5 has no PC Comm/Link and expect to pay more for this too if they add it in a later build.  The BM869 might be just around $200.00 US, (I saw it 17?.00 EU) nope $228.31us, and it might be worth it to get the extra protection.  Ones life is at stake with HV and I've felt numbing jolts before with lower Volts.  It's not fun and as you get older me thinks the heart could be affected with just one bad experience.  Remember seeing the movies and someone is brought back to life with the chest juicer!  :o  I really want that the only time when I need a jolt to save my life.  Not take it away!  It's like jumping out of a plane with a poorly made shut.  Why buy sh*t DMMs?  I have enough sh*t DMMs!

I'm still a Fluke type of guy.  The 87v is just one nice DMM and it's on the list.  But I need to make purchases according to need and specs at the moment.  A new Brymen is better than a used Fluke and
not working because it needs new fuses off of Bay-e.

@ all: Brymen BM867 Question; How much for the cord a software, link please.

The quest is getting to the end now.
ACvolts
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:48:16 pm by ACvolts »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 08:36:41 pm »
The Brymen 867 is rated for 600V maximum input protection (PTCs, MOVs) on the Ohms, Capacitance and other ranges. Replacing the 600V fuses with 1KV ones will not change the CAT rating of the meter or improve its safety.
The shunt is limited to 15A for 30 sec instead of 20A for the Brymen 869, so the PCBs may not be exactly the same.
The AC+DC voltage accuracy is greatly reduced on the 867, with frequencies above 1 KHz.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:51:11 pm by Wytnucls »

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 08:55:42 pm »
@ all: Found the Software/cord kit for BM86? $49.37 us    >KitBu-86x
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/kitbu-86x/meters-software/brymen/#
** As of today: July 14th, 2013 > Not in stock!  ???  :o
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:00:37 pm by ACvolts »

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 10:52:58 pm »
The Brymen 867 is rated for 600V maximum input protection (PTCs, MOVs) on the Ohms, Capacitance and other ranges. Replacing the 600V fuses with 1KV ones will not change the CAT rating of the meter or improve its safety.
The shunt is limited to 15A for 30 sec instead of 20A for the Brymen 869, so the PCBs may not be exactly the same.
The AC+DC voltage accuracy is greatly reduced on the 867, with frequencies above 1 KHz.

Thanks.  This is good to know!  Plus the BM869 does AC ~ 1000v

Found a EEVBlog Brymen vid!  Thanks DAVE!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 02:01:02 am »
If you can swing it, the BM869 is worth the extra bucks. It has the higher accuracy and has temperature too along with the higher safety rating. I am pretty sure that the input protection is the same except for the fuses based on what I see the in attached image. This image is from someone on this forum I think, or maybe from mjlorton's forum.

The PC connection will probably get little use from me, but I have learned that if I don't buy an accessory for something when I buy that it is usually not available when I want to buy it later. I would buy it but in the end your $200 price limit is more like $300.

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »
If you can swing it, the BM869 is worth the extra bucks. It has the higher accuracy and has temperature too along with the higher safety rating. I am pretty sure that the input protection is the same except for the fuses based on what I see the in attached image. This image is from someone on this forum I think, or maybe from mjlorton's forum.

The PC connection will probably get little use from me, but I have learned that if I don't buy an accessory for something when I buy that it is usually not available when I want to buy it later. I would buy it but in the end your $200 price limit is more like $300.

Thanks.
Too bad Dave or mjlorton don't do a HIGH END DMM shoot out.
ACvolts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf