Author Topic: Where is the Keysight Megazoom V ASIC?  (Read 15544 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Where is the Keysight Megazoom V ASIC?
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2024, 02:47:49 am »
I would not bet on a new ASIC.  The advantage of an ASIC over an FPGA is possibly lower power consumption at the same performance. However ASICs can not use the high end processes as FPGAs due to the very high mask costs. So the advantage is getting smaller and smaller - if there is any left at all.
If at all a ASIC would be thing for high volume, low cost solutions, or if there is no access to high end FPGAs but only cheap not so high end chips. This would not be KS, but more Rigol / Sigilent.

Yes, it will be interesting to see which direction they take in their next scope architecture.
On the one hand the Megazoom IV ASIC have kept them in the game for 13+ years now, and it's still one of the most if not the most responsive scope on the market.
Basically the only downside was integrating the sample memory on the die, so as the years went on the memory size began to look very limited.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2024, 02:49:33 am »
My biggest issue with Keysight is the move to renting the hardware features.
For example, the E36731A Battery Emulator and Profiler is a PSU and electronic load you can drive perfectly from the front panel. However, to use the Battery Emulation side, you need to obtain a licence for BenchVue, as it can only be driven from the PC. The licence is rented annually.

Yeah, that sucks arse.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, jc101

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2024, 02:54:09 am »
It is possible though that Keysight has developed an ASIC containing an off-the-shelve GPU solution + ADC interface as a building block for a DSO. Whatever Keysight comes up with has to be a leap forward somehow.

Agreed, it has to be a leap forward.
They have just been bested by R&S's ASIC in terms of update speed.
It has to be a 12 bit solution as that is standard now.
It has to have HDMI as standard, and hi-res to boot. One possible innovation here would be to actually scale the waveform data if you connect an external monitor. No other scope has that.
I wouldn't bet against marketing adding AI in some way  :-DD
Announcing the new Keysight 3000AI

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2024, 02:56:26 am »
I would not bet on a new ASIC.  The advantage of an ASIC over an FPGA is possibly lower power consumption at the same performance.
And lower cost, though only after the NRE is revovered.

The other are still doing ASIC. R&S did it. Rigol did it.
It does allow absurdly powerful specs to flow down into lower market segments.

The following users thanked this post: jusaca, pdenisowski

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2024, 05:06:39 am »
I would not bet on a new ASIC.  The advantage of an ASIC over an FPGA is possibly lower power consumption at the same performance.

Rigol didn't, they have analog and ADC ASICs, but the waveform rendering is FPGA.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2024, 05:58:53 am »
It seems like the exiting days of Keysight are over.
- Very few youtube videos
- No more "Scope Month"
- Daniel is hiding
and so on ....

Maybe they are concentrating more on the high end UXR scopes.

No I do not see anything wrong with Keysight. They just recently sent me an invite to their webinar "How to protect your satellite network". Very useful.  :-DD
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2024, 08:21:40 am »

Rigol didn't, they have analog and ADC ASICs, but the waveform rendering is FPGA.

It does a bit more than that:
https://www.rigolna.com/UltraVisionII/

But in any case they invested in ASIC's which allows them to reverage the price advantage into lower market segments.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2024, 08:32:08 am »
It has to have HDMI as standard, and hi-res to boot. One possible innovation here would be to actually scale the waveform data if you connect an external monitor. No other scope has that.
If I'm interpreting posts on this forum correctly, I think the Rigol DHO800/DHO900 actually do scaling of the display data to some extend when connected to an external monitor. I highly suspect Rigol is using a GPU to render the screens on these scopes instead of an FPGA. When using a GPU you get scaling (almost) for free.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 08:36:13 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2024, 08:55:43 am »
If I'm interpreting posts on this forum correctly, I think the Rigol DHO800/DHO900 actually do scaling of the display data to some extend when connected to an external monitor. I highly suspect Rigol is using a GPU to render the screens on these scopes instead of an FPGA. When using a GPU you get scaling (almost) for free.

I believe that just a standard android O/S scaling, it's not the actual waveform data in any way.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2024, 09:33:51 am »

I believe that just a standard android O/S scaling, it's not the actual waveform data in any way.
In that case I don't quite get what you are after. Do you mean you can get more information? Like more measurement positions? More horizontal divisions?

There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2024, 10:31:19 am »

It does a bit more than that:
https://www.rigolna.com/UltraVisionII/

But in any case they invested in ASIC's which allows them to reverage the price advantage into lower market segments.

Their ASIC is only 2 chips: AFE (analog front end) and OSP chip.  OSP chip has ADC and some DSP (probably equalization and linearization of data from massive parallel ADCs).

Rest of UltraVision platform resides in normal FPGA and application processor.
What they call SPU (sampling processing unit) is actually their IP running in commercial FPGA.

WPU and CCU (Waveform plotting and central control unit) are running in application space on general purpose CPU with DSP extensions. GPU would be here and be able to contribute here.

As for Keysight, they developed loads of new ASICs for UXR series that are also used on MXR series.
It is just that it remains to be seen if they care about "low cost segment" anymore.

Like I said before, with Megazoom range, they are in the same spot as Fluke with F87V. As long as people are buying it, why invest. They might even have (actually I'm sure they do) some architecture thought out, even if no physical prototypes.
But market game is tit for tat game. You reveal your next step only when forced. In meantime you milk it...

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2024, 06:49:52 pm »
The other are still doing ASIC. R&S did it.

It also allows them to flow up :) -- we released the MXO4 more than a year before the MXO5 and MXO5C.

Someone posted in another thread that we're adopting a Star Wars strategy - start with MXO4, MXO5, and MXO6, then go back and do MXO1, MXO2, and MXO3.   Can neither confirm nor deny :-DD

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, nctnico, egonotto, 2N3055

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2024, 12:55:15 am »
Their ASIC is only 2 chips: AFE (analog front end) and OSP chip.  OSP chip has ADC and some DSP (probably equalization and linearization of data from massive parallel ADCs).
Rest of UltraVision platform resides in normal FPGA and application processor.
What they call SPU (sampling processing unit) is actually their IP running in commercial FPGA.
WPU and CCU (Waveform plotting and central control unit) are running in application space on general purpose CPU with DSP extensions. GPU would be here and be able to contribute here.

Correct. The point is though that most of the big companies are doing ASIC's for scopes, so it obviosuly pays them to do so.
I'd be stunned if new Keysight scopes don't have a new ASIC(s). Whether or not it's called the Megazoom V remains to be seen.

As for Keysight, they developed loads of new ASICs for UXR series that are also used on MXR series.
It is just that it remains to be seen if they care about "low cost segment" anymore.

Depends on how you define the "low cost segment".
Most manufacturers seem the bring down ASIC/tech from higher end platforms down to lower end segments. Keysigh have done that before and I don't doubt they'll do it again.
Might not be right off the bat, but it will happen.

Like I said before, with Megazoom range, they are in the same spot as Fluke with F87V. As long as people are buying it, why invest. They might even have (actually I'm sure they do) some architecture thought out, even if no physical prototypes.
But market game is tit for tat game. You reveal your next step only when forced. In meantime you milk it...

more than 13 years a long time to milk.
IIRC the interval between previous Megazoom ASIC was 8 years. So well overdue.
I doubt you'll have to wait much longer.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, pdenisowski

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2024, 12:58:15 am »

In that case I don't quite get what you are after. Do you mean you can get more information? Like more measurement positions? More horizontal divisions?

Yes, more division and/or more data physically plotted because you have more pixels.
Even if you keep the same number of divisions, if you have a higher resolution screen you have more pixels per division with which to plot data.

Offline jusaca

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2024, 10:54:23 am »
I actually get the impression Keysight is not really interested in the mid range market anymore so they concentrate on the high-margin, high-end products. Rigol and Siglent delivering quite a decent performance in the mid-range for a comparatively low price is probably destroying the margin for the production prices Keysight can achieve.

You can see this in a lot of areas. Established companies leaving the entry market to newcomers because margin just isn't interesting anymore, compared to devices being sold for a complete magnitude higher up the price range.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2024, 04:40:43 pm »
I actually get the impression Keysight is not really interested in the mid range market anymore so they concentrate on the high-margin, high-end products. Rigol and Siglent delivering quite a decent performance in the mid-range for a comparatively low price is probably destroying the margin for the production prices Keysight can achieve.

It is not like that. The mid-range market is very much alive for A-brands like Keysight, R&S or Tektronix.  A couple of weeks ago I visited an electronics lab and factory in Taiwan. Not a single piece of test equipment from Rigol or Siglent anywhere. When I asked about it the tech told me they simply buy Tektronix or Keysight like everyone else. They can't be bothered going for the unknown.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 04:44:34 pm by nctnico »

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, pdenisowski

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2024, 04:57:01 pm »
It is not like that. The mid-range market is very much alive for A-brands like Keysight, R&S or Tektronix.  A couple of weeks ago I visited an electronics lab and factory in Taiwan. Not a single piece of test equipment from Rigol or Siglent anywhere. When I asked about it the tech told me they simply buy Tektronix or Keysight like everyone else. They can't be bothered going for the unknown.

That's a very particular situation... If I visited Iran's labs, I guess I would not be seeing israeli stuff... Unless it was on the bench for open heart reversing surgery...

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2024, 05:06:40 pm »

When we were still working before retiring and starting up our consulting business, same was true, everything we had was HP/AG/KS, Tek, Fluke and R&S.

However later after retiring and having to spend our "own $" rather than companies, we needed to do more investigation. Took the plunge an went with "other" brands like Siglent, then Instek, Korad, and Rigol. Not disappointed with any of those decisions, in fact some TE was a delightful surprise :-+

One thing to consider when working at a big company, many get massive discounts on major brands and thus pay nowhere near what the smaller folks pay. This of course is not public knowledge and assume each major company has negotiated special discounts with various TE OEMs.

When your overall company general purpose TE budget was well over $10M/yr 40 years ago, you can imagine that "special arrangements" were in place with all the big TE OEMs!!

Another consideration is the equipment "origin" may dictate whether it's allowed in "certain" labs or even within the company facility  :o

Best,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 05:12:14 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2024, 08:03:40 pm »
Another consideration is the equipment "origin" may dictate whether it's allowed in "certain" labs or even within the company facility  :o

Yes, this is extremely important for some customers.  There are some T&M companies who manufacture the same product in two different countries for this reason.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2024, 11:20:18 pm »

Altium learned this the hard way when they moved their HQ from Australia to China. The US government threatened to drop all Altium licences, and Altium quickly moved their HQ to the US  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, jjoonathan, pdenisowski

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2024, 11:22:23 pm »
I actually get the impression Keysight is not really interested in the mid range market anymore so they concentrate on the high-margin, high-end products.

I can assure you that they are.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2024, 09:34:11 am »
I actually get the impression Keysight is not really interested in the mid range market anymore so they concentrate on the high-margin, high-end products.

They are.. But only if they can keep same profit margins as they enjoyed for years.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2024, 01:03:10 am »
They are.. But only if they can keep same profit margins as they enjoyed for years.

We'll see...

Offline msuthar

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2024, 05:34:00 pm »
there are rumors that in few months Keysite will be launching a new scope worldwide, based on UXR platform design , scale down model and will be having 14 bit adc. Will have MSO option and will be in the low coast segment. anyone confirms?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2024, 06:09:13 pm »
there are rumors that in few months Keysite will be launching a new scope worldwide, based on UXR platform design , scale down model and will be having 14 bit adc. Will have MSO option and will be in the low coast segment. anyone confirms?

14 bit, UXR, low cost. MSO....

LOL...

UXR is a up to 110GHz scope platform that starts at 200000+ USD for 13GHz version..
They might make a new version and sell it bit cheaper than what it is now...

People here talk about replacement for Keysight Megazoom IV ASIC used in 1000/2000/3000 Infiniivision scopes..

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf