Author Topic: Where is the best place to buy a brand new oscilloscope?  (Read 9534 times)

Offline eeguyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Where is the best place to buy a brand new oscilloscope?
« on: September 16, 2016, 10:42:46 am »
In case of buying a brand new oscilloscope, is it better to buy it directly through the manufacturer's local website, amazon, local instrument stores, Newark element 14 or RS components/Allied Electronics? What are the tradeoffs? Besides education discounts, what else should I ask for?

Offline kg4arn

• Supporter
Re: Where is the best place to buy a brand new oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:52 am »
If they sell the one you want, I recommend Tequipment.  I have had very good help before and after the sale from them. Plus the EEVblog discount.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 11:06:00 am »
Thanks. I am currently staying in Canada. Maybe better to buy locally?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 11:49:43 am »
I'd look online for complaints about a shop using Google before buying something. But even then it can be a bit of a gamble since you'll only learn about how good/bad the service of a shop is when you need it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:36:37 pm »
I'd look online for complaints about a shop using Google before buying something. But even then it can be a bit of a gamble since you'll only learn about how good/bad the service of a shop is when you need it.

Thanks. In that case, perhaps directly from the manufacturer may be better. I suppose that I won't get support, special deals nor education discount buying from amazon, element 14 or RS components/Allied Electronics. The prices of some of these stores are sometimes higher than those of the manufacturers.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
For new stuff I prefer Amazon, just because their customer service is top notch, also I have Prime so next day shipping is sweet. Ebay is not bad either. But depending on how rare the instrument is a distributor may be your best option. In that case I check online and make sure they are legit. Tequipment for instance has a discount for EEVBlog members so might be worth taking the advantage of it.

Most of my test gear is 2nd hand though, so it's usually Ebay. Never had an issue. I have also had pretty good luck even when they are As-Is/not tested sales.. for the most part on bigger items I've gotten fully working instruments.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:22:52 pm by Muxr »

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 05:29:22 pm »
If you want brand-new, the safest option is to go through the manufacturer themselves (if they sell direct) or through an authorized distributor (link through the mfgr site).

For Keysight in Canada: http://www.keysight.com/main/partnerfinder.jspx?tmprop=H2B&pageMode=PF&lc=eng&cc=CA&N=1+187612+187535 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »
In case of buying a brand new oscilloscope, is it better to buy it directly through the manufacturer's local website, amazon, local instrument stores, Newark element 14 or RS components/Allied Electronics? What are the tradeoffs? Besides education discounts, what else should I ask for?
Your local dealer, one that's manufacturer or regional distributor appointed is always the best should you need after sales support. Be sure to to source from your own country in case of any support required and you'll have zero language difficulties.
In the US you have other options of the large online sellers that also offer discounts for EEVblog members.
Saelig
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/equipment-discounts-from-saelig/
Tequipment
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-members-discount-at-tequipment/

Post in the threads and ask for the EEVblog member discount code.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 09:08:22 pm »
If you want brand-new, the safest option is to go through the manufacturer themselves (if they sell direct) or through an authorized distributor (link through the mfgr site).

For Keysight in Canada: http://www.keysight.com/main/partnerfinder.jspx?tmprop=H2B&pageMode=PF&lc=eng&cc=CA&N=1+187612+187535

Thanks. When choosing the distributor, is it better to find one that is nearby in the same city rather than one that could offer the best deal? Does Keysight in Canada sell direct? Don't know the reaon by Newart element 14 sell at higher prices sometimes by hundred of dollars more. Somewhere in the forum, I read some posts that some users got some kind of deal that include all the software. What is the name of that deal? Is it still available? I heard that I could buy any model and upgrade letter. In case of buying a two channels model first. How your company upgrade to four channels model? Is the total cost higher if I buy a 100Mhz model first and then upgrade to 200Mhz model or just buy the 200Mhz model right at the beginning?  Does Keysight Canada offer EEVBlog discount?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:12:07 pm by eeguy »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:17 pm »
Companies like Newark/Element14/Farnell, Mouser, Digikey like to offer convenient and quick one-stop-shopping for electronics related equipment. They usually offer next day delivery instead of needing to wait a week or more.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »

Thanks. When choosing the distributor, is it better to find one that is nearby in the same city rather than one that could offer the best deal? Does Keysight in Canada sell direct? Don't know the reaon by Newart element 14 sell at higher prices sometimes by hundred of dollars more. Somewhere in the forum, I read some posts that some users got some kind of deal that include all the software. What is the name of that deal? Is it still available? I heard that I could buy any model and upgrade letter. In case of buying a two channels model first. How your company upgrade to four channels model? Is the total cost higher if I buy a 100Mhz model first and then upgrade to 200Mhz model or just buy the 200Mhz model right at the beginning?  Does Keysight Canada offer EEVBlog discount?

Hi eeguy,

In North America the InfiniiVision oscilloscopes are all sold through distributors. For legal (monopoly) reasons, I can't recommend a distributor specifically or discuss discounts, etc. That link should be a complete list of authorized distributors for Canada.

As far as promotions go, the current promotion is that you get an MSO for the price of a DSO. We ran a promo a year or more ago that was a free application bundle with scope purchase, but that has since expired.

However, a comment on upgrades. You can upgrade bandwidth, MSO, and license options - but not analog channel count. The cost of the 100 MHz to 200 MHz upgrade should be identical to that of the price difference between the 200 MHz and 100 MHz models ("investment protection").

I hope this helps!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 12:18:25 am »

Hi eeguy,

In North America the InfiniiVision oscilloscopes are all sold through distributors. For legal (monopoly) reasons, I can't recommend a distributor specifically or discuss discounts, etc. That link should be a complete list of authorized distributors for Canada.

As far as promotions go, the current promotion is that you get an MSO for the price of a DSO. We ran a promo a year or more ago that was a free application bundle with scope purchase, but that has since expired.

However, a comment on upgrades. You can upgrade bandwidth, MSO, and license options - but not analog channel count. The cost of the 100 MHz to 200 MHz upgrade should be identical to that of the price difference between the 200 MHz and 100 MHz models ("investment protection").

I hope this helps!

Thanks. So, it is better to get four channels at 100MHz. Then, if needed, upgrade to more MHz later. How about the probes? In the case of 2000X and 3000XT Series, are the probes for the 100MHz version the same as the ones for the 200-1G versions (in both the DSO and MSO cases)?

Offline testmode

• Regular Contributor
  • Test Engineer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 07:45:59 am »
... How about the probes? In the case of 2000X and 3000XT Series, are the probes for the 100MHz version the same as the ones for the 200-1G versions (in both the DSO and MSO cases)?

I believe the standard probes that comes with these are...

2000 X-series:
100MHz model: 150MHz probes (N2862B)
200MHz model: 300MHz probes (N2863B)

3000T X-series:
All models*: 500MHz probes (N2843A)

*yes, even the 1GHz model comes with 500MHz probes!  But I guess when you are seriously working in those freqs, you'd better be using active probes anyway.

Daniel, feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 09:02:42 am »
Thanks. So, it is better to get four channels at 100MHz. Then, if needed, upgrade to more MHz later.

Yes, but realistically by then you're probably better off just selling your 10MHz unit and buying whatever is the higher bandwidth successor then.

Also, as far as I know options and upgrades are only available as long as the scope is in mainstream support. Which should be long enough but just be aware that there's a limit.

How about the probes? In the case of 2000X and 3000XT Series, are the probes for the 100MHz version the same as the ones for the 200-1G versions (in both the DSO and MSO cases)?

The MSO probes are the same, tha analog probes are different in accordance with the bandwidth. But really, if you go above 350Mhz or so you probably should get some proper active probes or at least a Low Z0 passive probe anyways.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:25:08 pm »
Thanks. So, it is better to get four channels at 100MHz. Then, if needed, upgrade to more MHz later.

Yes, but realistically by then you're probably better off just selling your 10MHz unit and buying whatever is the higher bandwidth successor then.

Also, as far as I know options and upgrades are only available as long as the scope is in mainstream support. Which should be long enough but just be aware that there's a limit.

How about the probes? In the case of 2000X and 3000XT Series, are the probes for the 100MHz version the same as the ones for the 200-1G versions (in both the DSO and MSO cases)?

The MSO probes are the same, tha analog probes are different in accordance with the bandwidth. But really, if you go above 350Mhz or so you probably should get some proper active probes or at least a Low Z0 passive probe anyways.

Thanks. Why it is better off to sell the lower BW one later and buy a new one then just upgrade it?

Before purchase of expensive oscilloscope such as the one from Keysight or gds, what can I negotiate?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:20 pm »
Thanks. Why it is better off to sell the lower BW one later and buy a new one then just upgrade it?

Many reasons. Usually the price difference between a 2nd hand lower BW variant and the next higher BW variant is less than the cost of the upgrade. Also, say you buy a 100Mhz scope today, 3 or 5 yrs down the line the successor will already be out, with more memory, faster, and more functions. Selling off your old 100MHz scope and buying the 200Mhz successor shouldn't cost you much more than the BW upgrade, and you'll end up with a newer, more modern and more capable scope.

Before purchase of expensive oscilloscope such as the one from Keysight or gds, what can I negotiate?

T&M prices are always negotiable, at least for the big brands. If you buy from Farnell, Mouser etc you're pretty much paying list price (or close to list price) but most distributors are generally happy to negotiate and either reduce the price or include some of the options for free. You can also ask for ex-demo scopes which usually come with all the options and are normally priced way below a new basic scope, plus they tend to come with full warranty.

The following users thanked this post: eeguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 12:44:17 am »

Many reasons. Usually the price difference between a 2nd hand lower BW variant and the next higher BW variant is less than the cost of the upgrade. Also, say you buy a 100Mhz scope today, 3 or 5 yrs down the line the successor will already be out, with more memory, faster, and more functions. Selling off your old 100MHz scope and buying the 200Mhz successor shouldn't cost you much more than the BW upgrade, and you'll end up with a newer, more modern and more capable scope.

T&M prices are always negotiable, at least for the big brands. If you buy from Farnell, Mouser etc you're pretty much paying list price (or close to list price) but most distributors are generally happy to negotiate and either reduce the price or include some of the options for free. You can also ask for ex-demo scopes which usually come with all the options and are normally priced way below a new basic scope, plus they tend to come with full warranty.

Thanks.

The purchase decision is difficult as there is no way of telling when Keysight will release the successor for 2000X and 3000T X-Series oscilloscopes. Trying to decide if I should just get the GDS-2204E (200MHz, 4-channel) now or just go ahead and get the Keysight 3000T X-Series. The 2000X is a bit outdated as you all know. The GDS-2204E is USD1570 after 20% off discount from GWInstek. Local distributor said that they cannot offer more discount than that. From the "New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope" thread, there seems to be some issues. Perhaps it is still better to get the GDS-2204E even it costs 1K more?

I heard that for Keysight, there is no upgrade from 2 channels to 4 channels. So, perhaps 100MHz, 4 channels is the one to choose if I end up choosing Keysight?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 08:11:14 am »
The purchase decision is difficult as there is no way of telling when Keysight will release the successor for 2000X and 3000T X-Series oscilloscopes. Trying to decide if I should just get the GDS-2204E (200MHz, 4-channel) now or just go ahead and get the Keysight 3000T X-Series. The 2000X is a bit outdated as you all know. The GDS-2204E is USD1570 after 20% off discount from GWInstek. Local distributor said that they cannot offer more discount than that. From the "New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope" thread, there seems to be some issues. Perhaps it is still better to get the GDS-2204E even it costs 1K more?

I heard that for Keysight, there is no upgrade from 2 channels to 4 channels. So, perhaps 100MHz, 4 channels is the one to choose if I end up choosing Keysight?

Honestly, you're going about this the completely wrong way. The fact that you consider a $400 (DS1054z) together with a $3k+ scope (DSOX3000T) shows that you don't really know what you actually need. And without sorting that out first, you've set yourself up to a path that will very likely end you wasting a lot of money.

So the first step is to decide what it is that you want to do with the scope, now and in the foreseeable (say 3-5yrs) future.

1. What stuff will you work on with that scope? What type of signals do you want to assess? => this decides the frequency range which in turn tells you what scope BW you need (and be careful with the waveform type, i.e. a 200MHz scope can't show a 150MHz square wave correctly).

2. Can you do your work with standard passive probes, or will you need active probes? If you'll need active probes then you need a scope with active probe ports

3. Do you need logic analysis? If so, is a scope built-in SA (MSO) good enough, or is a separate USB LA (like a Salae) a better choice?

4. Do you need serial decode? If so for what protocols? => this might remove some scopes from the list as not all scopes support all protocols. Also consider an alternative to scope serial decoding, i.e. via a USB LA.

5. Do you need FFT? If so then you want a scope with strong FFT performance over a large sample size (i.e. 1Mpts)

6. Do you need specific scope applications (i.e. power analysis? Report generation?)

7. What's your max budget?

You should really step back and try to think about these seven points so that you can answer them with a certain confidence. Don't sway off into wishful thinking, try to stay realistic with what you want to do.

Once you've sorted that out you can then start narrowing down which scopes fullfill your requirements. And for that it's irrelevant if a manufacturer comes up with a new scope model next year, because it won't make the scope you bought less usable for your work. And that's all that matters.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:15:32 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 05:40:56 pm »
Where is the best place to buy a brand new oscilloscope?

Wuerstchenhund's Golden LeCroy Scope Palace of Wonders :)

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf