Author Topic: Choosing bench multi-meter/PM2525 experience?  (Read 4466 times)

Offline iampoorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Choosing bench multi-meter/PM2525 experience?
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
Hi

I am looking for decent used bench multi-meters from 100-200$. I do not need a particularly high resolution or accurate meter, but I do need to measure up to 1000 DC/AC volts. I would like a good AC measurement function (20-20khz??), and preferably a continuity tester (this is not a deal breaker however). I work on tube circuits and low voltage electronics, all audio work and some minor digital stuff. So far the best option seems to be the phillips/fluke PM2525.

Are there any known issues with these meters? How is the LCD? It doesnt appear to have a backlight? My largest concern with it as of now is how easy it is to read in low light situations.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:35:22 pm by iampoor »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Choosing bench multi-meter/PM2525 experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:24:07 pm »
No it doesn't have a backlight. I'd be more inclined to get something like a HP 3435A or something with an easy to read display, it doesn't have shrouded sockets but. Check out the specs on it. You could possibly pick up 2 good ones and two parts boxes for that price just make sure the battery pack has been removed or is not going to be an issue.

The Philips has a motorized function selector on the inside, and custom probe connector in the front. Parts and ease of repair might be a problem, I think it also has a potential backup battery leak issue on the PCB. I don't like them for some reason, perhaps it's because the Flukes have the vacuum fluorescent displays and look so much easier to read and operate.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:59:22 pm »
Keithley 191 goes to 1kVAC or 1.2kVDC. Pretty interesting, accurate and can be had inexpensively.
Keithley 197 is a big higher in price and a bit more modern, but it can also reach your desired specs: 1kV AC/DC
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:30:13 pm »
I have a Keithley 197 and I am very happy with it. It still is within spec. What don't I like about it? No continuity test. That's it.

Offline iampoorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:32:20 pm »
No it doesn't have a backlight. I'd be more inclined to get something like a HP 3435A or something with an easy to read display, it doesn't have shrouded sockets but. Check out the specs on it. You could possibly pick up 2 good ones and two parts boxes for that price just make sure the battery pack has been removed or is not going to be an issue.

The Philips has a motorized function selector on the inside, and custom probe connector in the front. Parts and ease of repair might be a problem, I think it also has a potential backup battery leak issue on the PCB. I don't like them for some reason, perhaps it's because the Flukes have the vacuum fluorescent displays and look so much easier to read and operate.

I think another potential issue with the PM2525 is the glass reed relays. I dont think they are unobtanium unlike the function selector switch however. Thankfully the custom connector is just for 4 wire measurement and the temperate probe....Might be able to hack in some banana jacks for 4 wire measurement.

Is it possible to change the battery on the HP3435A without loosing calibration? Looks like a pretty nice meter. Doesnt appear to have any unobtainable parts either!

Keithley 191 goes to 1kVAC or 1.2kVDC. Pretty interesting, accurate and can be had inexpensively.
Keithley 197 is a big higher in price and a bit more modern, but it can also reach your desired specs: 1kV AC/DC

Is the ac volts measurement option on the 197? If I could fin a deal on one, I think it would be great to have one just for the ultra low measurement ranges.   :-+
I have a Keithley 197 and I am very happy with it. It still is within spec. What don't I like about it? No continuity test. That's it.

What do you like abut it? Seems to be well built and not have any unobtainable parts. I like it.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf