Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E (Lliberated to 200MHz) VS Rigol DS1202Z-E Bandwidth.  (Read 6324 times)

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
But that is a 4 Channel DS1000Z Series, the 2 Channel DS1202Z-E 200MHz has a different front end. It is not comparable and also not comparable to the one that IMSAI guy has.

I posted the step response on my Rigol DS1000Z hacked to 100MHz.
If you truly need 200MHz, the DS1000Z is probably not for you.
But, I will give up bandwidth for four channels any day.

How much are you willing to spend?  Have you looked at the Rigol DS5000 Series.
I believe Dave did a video and there is a thread about hacking it.
Don't know if it's been hacked yet or not.

The IMSAI guy has a DS1074Z scope (i.e. the exact scope I have).
We both hacked them to 100MHz bandwidth.
Both his video and my step response are with only one channel ON (i.e. the 1GS/s).

The 2 Channel DS1202Z-E would be comparable to the DS2000 series scope you got rid of.

The only reason I posted the IMSAI video and my step response is because you mentioned in your first post that you considered a DS1054Z. 
I'm just giving you some comparison information to the Siglent scopes, which for 200MHz, cost twice as much.
Or for a little more than the Siglent's, the Rigol DS5000 series with possible (?) hack to 300MHz.

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
If they only made a DS1204Z-E, I'd give it serious consideration. I've written off the DS1202Z-E as it's only 2 channel (But I'm really impressed by my friends) and I need 4 channels. The only obvious choice really is the SDX1000 range. Unless I sacrifice 2 channels which I really don't want to do and would have kept the DS2000. I actually prefer my HM-1004-3 to the DSO2000.

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
DS1204Z-E - do you mean 4 channels, 200Mhz analog bandwith and single 1GSa/s ADC ?  Why do you want that ?

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
Because I'd only ever need 200MHz/1GSa when using 1 channel. Rarely 2 channels above a few MHz and if I'm using 4 that will be really low bandwidth < MHz.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Any signal with reasonably sharp edges (like you find in a typical microcontroller circuit) will wreck it. I have hacked my GW Instek GDS2204E to 300MHz but it made it crap to look at digital signals with 3 or 4 channels on (500Ms/s); I still need to revert the hack.

I meant at 1GSa/s, where the step response is exemplary.  No need to struggle breaking it in 4-channel mode.  Here's a very fast 10MHz square wave in either mode.

And a brick wall pre-ADC filter isn't everyone's answer either, although it would give a stable display which might be good for digital.  Here's the same 10MHz fast edge square wave put through a 60MHz brick wall (7th order Chebyshev or some such monstrosity) compared to a reconstructed square wave using 3rd and 5th harmonics plus a diminished 7th to try and sort of match the bandwidth response of the filter.  No bueno if you care about phase...
The only good solution for having a good phase shift behaviour is to use a bandwidth limiter which limits the frequencies way below the Nyquist frequency. Not having a proper anti-aliasing filter in front of the ADC is the worst case of all. I'm avoiding the word solution here because leaving something out is cutting corners which shouldn't be cut.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:54:50 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf