Author Topic: What do you think of the new Fluke 87 V MAX?  (Read 65819 times)

Offline AxtmanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What do you think of the new Fluke 87 V MAX?
« on: November 04, 2019, 01:07:50 am »
What do you guys think about the new IP67 rated Fluke 87 V multimeter? I received a survey from Fluke a while ago so I knew they were coming out with this model. If I had a job outside I would be very interested in this meter.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/87v-max

https://www.fluke-direct.com/pdfs/cache/www.fluke-direct.com/87v-max/datasheet/87v-max-datasheet.pdf

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you think of the new Fluke 87 V MAX?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 01:11:40 am »
Just a rebadged Fluke 27II/Fluke 28 II.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:13:17 am by retiredcaps »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 01:16:16 am »
It might, likely?, have an internal revised pcb/layout/components, since the last Fluke 28II rev?

Someone was selling Fluke 27 II for $100 Canadian a few years ago.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 05:38:24 am »
I compared the specs yesterday and it seemed identical to the 28-II
Literally the only difference was the increase in drop test height from 3m to 4m.
Diode test is still limited to 2v, surely they could have revised this.
And the meter also does not have dual input impedance:
Surely that would be a very useful feature for the market they are aiming this meter for?
Don't get me wrong: I do have a 28-II but seeing this rebranded without any changes after so many years seems strange to me.

The following users thanked this post: xavier60, Electro Detective, Marco1971

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 05:57:48 am »
I compared the specs yesterday and it seemed identical to the 28-II.

Don't get me wrong: I do have a 28-II but seeing this rebranded without any changes after so many years seems strange to me.
I didn't do that so it's possible there are improvements and changes and given the timeframe of the introduction of the 28II.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 06:45:00 am »
Does it have any new features over the 87V?
I recently bought the 87V+i410 promo kit for €500 for work, I thought that was a nice deal.
Are they retiring the 87V?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 06:57:18 am »
I recently bought the 87V+i410 promo kit for €500 for work, I thought that was a nice deal.
Are they retiring the 87V?

Naaa, looks like they are retiring the 28II instead. This is the PCB of the 28II so I expect it to be like the 87V Max (Photos from Dave's video on the 28II)

No coating, looks like its by the video screws with o-rings plus o-ring on the battery cover, big plastic cover on the bottom of the PCB , a big ridge around the case that creates a lip where both top and bottom case meet with an o-ring for seal, so basically all the water ingress is by the use of o-rings and compression of them and isolation from the PCB and front cover. So the Input Jacks don't come connected to the PCB, they stay on the cover.

[edit] Correction of photos and extra explanation.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 03:46:17 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 10:24:52 am »

"Double the battery life of the 87V (up to 800 hours); backlit keys for dark environments"

It's also ruggedized, etc.

It's not much more expensive than the ordinary 87V, it looks like it's going to replace/unify the 28 and 87 models.

Offline Marco1971

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »
Hi all, images above belong to FLUKE 28 II Ex preproduction not plain/standard 28 II.

http://www.mjlorton.com/forum/index.php?topic=150.0

Marco1971
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:25:35 pm by Marco1971 »

The following users thanked this post: Black Phoenix

Offline Arhigos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 02:09:17 pm »
fluke 87v max is same as fluke 28-2 (even same pcb, if you open 87v max you will see pcb from 28-ii

Only one difference (except display mask and firmware) is that 87-v max doesnt have msha certification.

Black Phoenix, you posted pictures from 28-ex meter. and that coating is not a protection from water, it's protection from fire, even if you burn your meter it will not make any sparkle (if you working in explosive hazardous area)

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Black Phoenix

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 02:40:53 pm »
fluke 87v max is same as fluke 28-2 (even same pcb, if you open 87v max you will see pcb from 28-ii

Only one difference (except display mask and firmware) is that 87-v max doesnt have msha certification.

Black Phoenix, you posted pictures from 28-ex meter. and that coating is not a protection from water, it's protection from fire, even if you burn your meter it will not make any sparkle (if you working in explosive hazardous area)

Hi all, images above are from FLUKE 28 II Ex preproduction not plain/standard 28 II.

http://www.mjlorton.com/forum/index.php?topic=150.0

Marco1971

Thank you for the info then. I just checked the Dave's video and he had photos from it.

Plus extra promotional video:

I corrected the post above with the right photos. But I keep what I said, the 28II is going to be phase out in reliance of this one. And expect the 87V Max Ex version in the future to phase out the 28II Ex. Plus going by this old ad in a promotional document:

https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/3821028_0000_ENG_A_W.PDF

First they promote the 27II/28II as the 83V/87V but with a IP67 rating and now release the 87V Max that is exactly like the 28II but with extra battery life?  :-// :-// :-// Ahh and keyboard that light up...

No more ideas? Yes I know that the 87V is basically a mark in the market, a good no frills just works DMM but can please innovate a little more?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 03:47:20 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, rernexy

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:08 pm »
I compared the specs yesterday and it seemed identical to the 28-II
Literally the only difference was the increase in drop test height from 3m to 4m.

This, and maybe people were a bit rough on the 28-II in terms of holding it to that 3m spec. Fluke's "lifetime" warranty seems to refer to the lifetime of the model run, not the actual lifetime of the meter (or owner). So phasing out the 28-II makes sense if Fluke are getting them back beaten to a pulp, as does rebadging/repackaging the same meter with new robustness claims (cited) and actual improvements in robustness (not so apparent).

As for those who are on the fence about buying a new 87V, this could be a smart move for Fluke in terms of marketing. Consumers might be more likely to invest in an "improved" 87V (more well-known model) but wouldn't be interested in the 28II (less recognition of the 27/28 series). It comes down to the retail market vs the military contracts, especially if it really is the same meter. Soldiers are likely to be much rougher on govt-issued equipment than the mall ninjas measuring batteries in their basements with an 'indestructible', expensive meter which remains safely far from industrial high voltage (or the battlefield).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:56 pm »
As for those who are on the fence about buying a new 87V, this could be a smart move for Fluke in terms of marketing.

Yep. 100%.

I bet all the Youtube bloggers have already ordered theirs just so they can make their "Unboxing the new Fluke 87V MAX" videos.

Me? I'd definitely get one just to be able to say, "Yes, bit I've got the MAX version.."

(in fact this is the first time in my life I've ever been tempted to get a Fluke 87V)

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 10:52:07 pm »
I have a 87V and a 28II, I seldom use the 28II because I much prefer the smaller form factor of the 87V. If the current 87V is discontinued in favor of the 87V MAX it would be a shame.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 11:03:18 pm »
I have a 87V and a 28II, I seldom use the 28II because I much prefer the smaller form factor of the 87V.

??

According to the Fluke web site there's only 2mm difference.

87V: 201 x 98 x 52 mm
28II: 198 x 100 x 63 mm

(Ok, it's thicker....)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 11:24:04 pm »
I briefly had a 87V, I sent it back after a couple of days though, partly because I discovered a defect and partly because I found that the current ranges default to AC Every Single Time. Move from A to mA and it's back on AC *again*. It's such a boneheaded design because almost always if I'm measuring AC current I'm using a clamp so the meter is on ACV.

I went back to my old 87 III, it lacks the diode test beep which is annoying but the current defaults to DC. It also has a higher quality feel that is hard to put a finger on. The plastic just feels tougher, the V had that sort of harder cheaper feel to it and the buttons are harder plastic rather than soft rubber like the III.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 11:48:45 pm »
I had the 87v for a couple of months. I used it half a dozen times at most! I just didn't like it. It was one of the first to go when I decided to thin my collection out. I got it new at a great price but just couldn't take to it.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 11:53:42 pm »
I have a 87V and a 28II, I seldom use the 28II because I much prefer the smaller form factor of the 87V.
(Ok, it's thicker....)

In the holster it is ~5mm wider, ~18mm taller, ~20mm thicker and noticeably heavier. In the hand the 28II feels like a big meter compared to the 87V.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 12:00:22 am »
I briefly had a 87V, I sent it back after a couple of days though, partly because I discovered a defect and partly because I found that the current ranges default to AC Every Single Time. Move from A to mA and it's back on AC *again*. It's such a boneheaded design

Yep, and this is one of the reasons I'll never buy one. It would annoy me intensely. There's absolutely no reason why it can't simply remember the last setting for each range like other brands do.

Of course there's people who'll say "I want it to be in a known state every time I power it on, dammit!" but, (a) It would always be in the wrong state (for me), and (b) This is 2019, behaviors like that it could be user-selectable options.

("But whenever I borrow somebody else's meter I want it to be just like mine, dammit!")

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 12:04:46 am »
(Ok, it's thicker....)

In the holster it is ~5mm wider, ~18mm taller, ~20mm thicker and noticeably heavier. In the hand the 28II feels like a big meter compared to the 87V.

The measurements I posted were "with holster" according to the Fluke web site.

FWIW The web site says the MAX is "215 x 101 x 60 mm (with holster)" which would make it the biggest of the three.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 12:28:05 am »
(Ok, it's thicker....)
The measurements I posted were "with holster" according to the Fluke web site.

I'm was not looking at the DS as I have the two meters sitting next to each other at the moment. The numbers I gave you are quick and dirty (imprecise approximation) but they are close enough....

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 09:36:02 am »
...Soldiers are likely to be much rougher on govt-issued equipment than the mall ninjas measuring batteries in their basements with an 'indestructible', expensive meter which remains safely far from industrial high voltage (or the battlefield).
This gave me a laugh; it describes me perfectly! Thanks  :-DD

I have a Keysight U1242C on the way - purchased 'used' from eBay from the Keysight store which is a recommended place to buy from except that it always takes them a week to get stuff in the mail - maybe that's because their main warehouse is on the moon?  I got the U1242C for just $217 and it has stand-alone logging capability of 2,000 measurements (vs the U1242B's near-useless 200) but the U1242C is similar to the the Fluke 87 V Max including the IP67 rating which I suppose it would be good if my basement flooded  ;D

I had been trying to buy a Fluke 289 but, after a scammer eBay seller took my money and never sent the item (if there ever was an item) and I had to wait for PayPal to get refunded nearly 3 weeks later, and then I kept losing bids on scratched up or grimy-looking stuff, I gave up.  On reflection, the U1242C looks like it will do all I want plus the free logger software (for PC & smartphone) works well.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 03:20:30 pm »
This gave me a laugh; it describes me perfectly! Thanks  :-DD
I was actually referring to myself! :-DD

Most of my gear, including the audio stuff, is overkill considering what I actually do with it. As for test equipment... sigh. I find myself lurking around that TEA thread, and them's dangerous waters. I've made a lot of efforts to strip down and streamline when it comes to my own test bench, with admittedly mixed results, but this meter would be a wasteful expenditure for me. I don't jump out of planes very often anymore.

I see this as a makeover of the already-presumed-tough 87V into the MAX pre-Buster-Douglas Mike Tyson of the multimeter circuit (awful simile, I know). They're aware of Brymen and others offering meters with advanced specs at a lower price point, so it makes sense that they would take their product in the direction of improved safety/reliability assurances rather than in the direction of feature additions/programmability.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 07:24:02 pm »
MAX.... hmmm, as in "has parts at the wrong position and a software to compensate for it sometimes going crazy" MAX? *SCNR*
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline notfaded1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 08:15:21 pm »
I briefly had a 87V, I sent it back after a couple of days though, partly because I discovered a defect and partly because I found that the current ranges default to AC Every Single Time. Move from A to mA and it's back on AC *again*. It's such a boneheaded design because almost always if I'm measuring AC current I'm using a clamp so the meter is on ACV.

I went back to my old 87 III, it lacks the diode test beep which is annoying but the current defaults to DC. It also has a higher quality feel that is hard to put a finger on. The plastic just feels tougher, the V had that sort of harder cheaper feel to it and the buttons are harder plastic rather than soft rubber like the III.

I even found a new 87III on ebay still had the plastic on the screen even... someone must have bought it and never used it at all.  It's mint.

Bill
.ılılı..ılılı.
notfaded1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf