Author Topic: Oscilloscope for an electronics learner  (Read 24637 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Oscilloscope for an electronics learner
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2016, 01:09:26 pm »
Congrats on the purchase, I hope it does everything you need. Maybe we should have upped your budget further and gone straight to a Keysight.  >:D
I'd have got an R&S if I was going to spend much more, but whatever.
I wouldn't because it is an utterly stupid thing to do. The HMO1222 (2 channels 200MHz) including decoding sets you back over $3000 at Tequipment.

Huh?

http://www.tequipment.net/Rohde-&-Schwarz/HMO-1222/Digital-Oscilloscopes/

Price: $1,830
Where: At Tequipment.
Now add the decoding options to the price  :palm:
The same goes in lesser extend for the Keysight scopes. The value for money just isn't there in the 50MHz to 200MHz range primarily due to the extremely short memory in the Keysight scopes. BTW if you have the cash to spend then Lecroy's Wavesurfer 3000 is a much better deal than what Keysight has to offer in the >200MHz segment.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:11:35 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2016, 03:07:24 pm »
I wouldn't want CAN bus decoding, so....

Still, serial bus is extra so call it $2000. Still nowhere near $3000.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »
I wouldn't want CAN bus decoding, so....

Still, serial bus is extra so call it $2000. Still nowhere near $3000.
That doesn't matter. You need to compare equivalent functionality and besides that you can't cherry pick the most expensive option from the equation to make the point you are attempting to make more favourable. If you don't need any decoding options then there is also the much cheaper GW Instek GDS1000B series. Either way the R&S HMO series is just way overpriced. Tequipment.net has no R&S scopes in stock at all so it seems they don't sell very wel either.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:23:09 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
Either way the R&S HMO series is just way overpriced.

So are Mercedes Benz cars, designer jeans, etc., but they sell plenty...

If I was rich I wouldn't choose a GW-Instek. Not a chance.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:55 pm »
Congratulations on the purchase! I followed this thread on the sidelines and commend you for turning on your notch filter and getting useful information among the noise (catfights). :)

As someone else pointed out, if time permits please post your first impressions about the Instek.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline System Error MessageTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2016, 12:48:36 am »
I definitely will. The first thing i want to measure is how stable some of the PSUs i have are.

I've visited Rohde and shwarze before, seen a van they sell to govt for tracking pirate radio, should've asked them if i could bring home a scope.

Tequipment wasnt the only place i look, I look at as many places as possible to compare prices, at least 10 different online stores.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 08:06:26 am »
Congratulations on the purchase! I followed this thread on the sidelines and commend you for turning on your notch filter and getting useful information among the noise (catfights). :)

While I certainly agree that too many statements are too absolutist to the point of being unbalanced, there is useful information in most of them. But I agree that a narrowband bandpass filter is necessary to select only the points that are relevant at this time.

Later the OP might find the other points helpful in different circumstances.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2016, 08:53:48 am »

Some of the resident Rigol-Bashers were absent this time, that helped too.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2016, 10:41:10 am »

"Rigol-bashers" are a necessary counterbalance to "Rigol-shills", and vice-versa. Everything is gray, there is no black and white :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2016, 11:13:17 am »
Yes, but GW-Instek scopes look like toys :)
I have DS2000 and GDS2000E standing nearby, and what looks and feels like a toy is Rigol.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2016, 01:46:46 pm »

I have DS2000 and GDS2000E standing nearby, and what looks and feels like a toy is Rigol.

Hey, you made it to this thread just in time!  ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
Why would an oscilloscope looking and feeling like a toy be an issue? Its meant to be played with.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »
Why would an oscilloscope looking and feeling like a toy be an issue? Its meant to be played with.

In the old days, quality was bought by the pound.  The heavier the scope, the better the quality/features/bandwidth, etc.  More weight was good!
Now it's all done with a couple of DACs and an FPGA plus a display.  Of course it looks and feels like something from Mattel.

Actually, the lack of weight is a problem.  When I try to push the power button on my DS1054Z, the unit slides across the bench.  It takes two hands to turn it on or off.  That is NOT a problem with my Tektronix 485 sitting upright on the floor.  That scope is heavy enough to sit anywhere it wants!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2016, 06:21:20 pm »
Simple solution - get yourself some drawer/shelf liner. Even my Keysight DSOX3014A slides easily on a shelf. A couple pieces of the liner under the feet and I can add/remove probes etc without it moving.
VE7FM

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »
Sliding can be a problem in general. I stuck extra rubber feet on several pieces of my equipment to prevent it from sliding.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »

Hey, you made it to this thread just in time!  ;)
Quick! Let's turn on the notch filters again!  :-DD

I don't dislike Instek's looks. As I stated in Dave's teardown thread, the aspect I like is they don't multiplex controls like other brands. Form does not trump function.

It's like the old adage: if "looks" is the main criticism against your test equipment, you can live in peace. :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2016, 12:40:12 am »
well i know how you feel about metal and weight. The heavier it is the more "real" it feels :P. Thats why a lot of cheap chinese counterfeit products fill their product with lead, powder and other sort of materials. Take a look inside an ultrafire battery for example.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2016, 08:24:40 am »

Yes, but GW-Instek scopes look like toys :)

Where were you? We missed you!

You'll be very relieved to know that the OP bought a GDS2000E at a very good price - tequipment seems to be dumping that model.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2016, 08:29:52 am »
well i know how you feel about metal and weight. The heavier it is the more "real" it feels :P. Thats why a lot of cheap chinese counterfeit products fill their product with lead, powder and other sort of materials. Take a look inside an ultrafire battery for example.

Yeah, but that's because they didn't put any actual "battery" inside them. An empty case would feel very wrong.

PS: Rigol build quality is fine. "Pleasant surprise" is how I'd describe the overall feel.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2016, 03:41:01 pm »
My oscilloscope just arrived, Tequipment sure has a funny way of packaging by placing it within 3 boxes.

Scope performance is really nice, at 1ms timebase at 200Mhz i get the full spec of 1GSa/s and 10M, any longer and only the sampling rate halves. It could definitely use more apps and software but i havent managed to update the firmware yet. This scope is very sensitive, what i thought the scope was very noisy but currently until i move into a much bigger room i have so many electronics around such as my wifi AP sitting next to it, putting the probes near the back of my monitors or even near the bench PSU showed similar AC like noise. This is down at 1mV. It is also nice that i can get the scope down to 1ns timebase. USB and ethernet work the way i want them to although i cant set a proxy but at least i can force it using my router.

I didnt have trouble with the interface, i could instantly access and use it without reading the manual and not having used a scope before. I guess some of you are too used to certain interfaces.

One thing i really wish they would add is NTP and locale setting as it set itself to china/taiwan's time. Once i move in July i will do a review on this as i would have a much bigger room, more space and perhaps set up a faraday cage.

quite impressed with the scope and it even has DMM functionality but it seems to measure differently than my handheld crappy DMM. Measuring 24.5V at bench PSU display during load, my DMM showed 24.3V, my router being powered by it showed 24.1V (putting DMM on cables showed a 0.1-0.2V loss). putting the oscilloscope showed around 23.8V at the output.

Edit: thanks Tequipment for the extra boxes, i now have more boxes i need for moving.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:45:39 pm by System Error Message »

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2016, 05:10:48 pm »

quite impressed with the scope and it even has DMM functionality but it seems to measure differently than my handheld crappy DMM. Measuring 24.5V at bench PSU display during load, my DMM showed 24.3V, my router being powered by it showed 24.1V (putting DMM on cables showed a 0.1-0.2V loss). putting the oscilloscope showed around 23.8V at the output,

So, you are off by 0.7V at 24.5V or 3%.  The Gain Accuracy spec is 3% for signals >= 10 mV.  And that's 3% of full scale, not 3% of the reading.  Your scope seems fine!

In my view, scopes are 'qualitative' instruments, not 'quantitative'.  Admittedly that is from an analog scope point of view but I trust my DMM measurements a lot more than those from my DSO.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »
that was using the DVM app on the scope. Im not sure if i connected it right because i only connected the probe to the + and didnt connect the ground to negative.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2016, 09:21:35 pm »
One thing i really wish they would add is NTP and locale setting as it set itself to china/taiwan's time.
Just set the RTC to your local time.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2016, 09:58:55 pm »
that was using the DVM app on the scope. Im not sure if i connected it right because i only connected the probe to the + and didnt connect the ground to negative.
You have to connect ground to negative but always make sure you don't make a short through the oscilloscope. All the BNC connectors' outer shells are connected together and mains ground.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:56 am »
I'll give it a try again after i move. Considering i am currently in student flats its likely ground will always have something going on that will throw off readings.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf