Author Topic: VFO Frequency Check  (Read 1122 times)

Offline ko4nrbsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
VFO Frequency Check
« on: November 07, 2022, 06:37:51 pm »
If using this counter, what do I need in order to check the frequency on an old Heathkit HG-10 VFO?  Its output is 5 volts RMS.

The counter:
https://usa.banggood.com/1Hz-50MHz-High-Sensitivity-Frequency-Meter-Counter-Measurement-Tester-Module-7V-9V-50mA-p-1662557.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Thank you,
Bill

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
Re: VFO Frequency Check
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:32:47 pm »
Do you have an oscilloscope probe?

Offline ko4nrbsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 10:25:31 pm »
Yes, I do.  I wanted to use this and keep it on while operating so I can constantly monitor my frequency.

Bill

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 02:51:30 am »
What I would do, and what I have done in the past, is hand wire a JFET or bipolar transistor follower into the oscillator to drive a coaxial transmission line going to the frequency counter.

The following users thanked this post: ko4nrbs

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 10:00:23 am »
This is probably one of many "clones" of the pic based counter by DL4YHF https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/freq_counter/freq_counter.html. If so, you will need to turn off the power saving mode (it may be off by default - I think it was off on mine). You can find the manual at https://www.qrpproject.de/UK/DL4YHFcounter.html. Watch out for any preprogrammed offset -  if you dont realise it is there then it can cause a lot of head scratching.

The following users thanked this post: ko4nrbs

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 05:52:47 pm »
Most DSOs -- even the inexpensive ones -- have a cymometer that will be more accurate & precise than that frequency counter.

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 06:23:50 pm »
Yes, I do.  I wanted to use this and keep it on while operating so I can constantly monitor my frequency.

Bill
What I would do, and what I have done in the past, is hand wire a JFET or bipolar transistor follower into the oscillator to drive a coaxial transmission line going to the frequency counter.
If you add a buffer like David Hess suggests (an excellent idea), it might be a good idea to control it with the transmit (PTT) line, or from the spot switch if your rig has one.

Otherwise you run a risk of leakage from the VFO-to-counter cable, which will be carrying a CW signal at your operating signal even while you are receiving.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf