Author Topic: HP 5350B LED Upgrade  (Read 73 times)

Offline W4PJBTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP 5350B LED Upgrade
« on: Yesterday at 09:55:27 pm »
Today I upgraded the LED's in my HP 5350B frequency counter. First, a huge thanks to Mr. Kerry Wong for his excellent writeup back in 2017 http://www.kerrywong.com/2017/01/30/hp-5350b-backlight-upgrade/

My backlight board was a little different than Kerry's, but the steps and components for the upgrade were the same none the less. I figured I'd do a quick writeup of my upgrade, in case anyone else is planning to do the same.

As you may be aware, the 5350 has a terrible backlight from the factory. Practically invisible, really, under ordinary room light. Five very dim, yellow, LED's on each end of the display that edge-light the LCD screen. The upgrade is to use modern white LED's to replace them. Another issue I had was a lot of scratches and hazing on the plastic window covering the LCD. I didn't get any pictures of the process, but I solved this by using a small propane torch and gently "flaming" the surface of the window (once out of the unit) to polish the lens. I followed up with a microfiber towel and automotive "optical grade" polishing compound. It's not perfect, but it's FAR better than when I got the unit.

Another challenge was bending the LED's and positioning them for soldering. To solve this, I 3D printed a fixture that held the LED's at the proper spacing at exactly 4.85mm from the surface of the board to the bottom of the LED's. A bit of 3/8" Kapton tape held it in place during soldering. I think the results speak for themselves; all of the LED's are pointing straight and exactly at the proper height. I'll  be sure to include a link to the file if anyone is interested once I get it hosted.

From here on out the pictures, along with Kerry's write up, pretty much speak for themselves. So without further delay, let's get to the pictures!

Parts: Digikey # 1516-QBL8IW30C-NW-ND (quantity 10).

Offline W4PJBTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 5350B LED Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:10:54 pm »
Here is the 3D file for the fixture. Please note the holes are slightly offset top to bottom by 0.15mm. The shorter side (4.85mm from edge of hole to edge of block) is what should be used on the board side.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf