Author Topic: HP 8922M  (Read 3895 times)

Offline vaualbusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HP 8922M
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:06:53 pm »
So was I year since I bought the last pieced of equipment a fluke 6060A, so in early semptember I decided to buy somethingh else.
So looking at ebay a found a very and say very cheap HP 8922M.
I bough it for 60$. Today the instrument arrived, it is a beast it weight almost 35kg!
It was announced as not working so I don't west time and open it. And I was impressed on how much stuff ther eis inside. There a like 14 or 15 seperate boards!
So I dissamble it and found the problem, on cable was disconnected after I reconect it the instrument power on succesfully and work perfectly. It has the a couple of oprion like the spectrum analyzer option Option 006, the hight stable timebase Opyion 001 and other two option that I don't know what they are.
I took some photo and I post them here.
Later on I will do a teardown video or photo. But after spending all the day unscrew and screw a lot and I said a lot of screw I really won't do it right now!
By the way I was s shocked by the capacitor size, and than by the transformer side. I can only guess on what was the retail price of the unit when it was released in 95 or so. My unit appear to be released in '99.
Here some of the photo, and stay tuned for the teardown video/photo galley.

The top side of the instrument:

The inside of the RF module:

The big capicitor and transformer I was said before:

I will do better photo next time!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: HP 8922M
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:23:31 pm »
Great piece of kit for 60 bucks!
VE7FM

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 05:35:26 am »
It has the a couple of oprion like the spectrum analyzer option Option 006, the hight stable timebase Opyion 001 and other two option that I don't know what they are.
I took some photo and I post them here.
Later on I will do a teardown video or photo. But after spending all the day unscrew and screw a lot and I said a lot of screw I really won't do it right now!
By the way I was s shocked by the capacitor size, and than by the transformer side. I can only guess on what was the retail price of the unit when it was released in 95 or so. My unit appear to be released in '99.
Here some of the photo, and stay tuned for the teardown video/photo galley.

I have an opportunity to purchase the option 010 and base model 8922M.  Wondering if you've found out anything regarding, mainly the option 006 as I'd only find use as a Spectrum Analyzer and maybe as an RF Generator. 

Here's a Data Sheet I found with some info, though nothing noting the option 010.  https://www.used-line.com/Specs_URL/34/3034.pdf

I've attached some photos and now am thinking for the components alone, might be worth the boat anchor investment price of $5 ea... unless he weighs them and charges me scrap price going rate.

I'm mainly wondering if the Spectrum Analyzer option 006 is a firmware/software only option that can be initialized somehow or additional hardware is required to have the capabilities. 

I added a photo of the 8924E too.  Where again, I'm wondering if the Spectrum Analyzer option 012 can be enabled via firmware, or software, and whether additional hardware is required.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:40:32 am »
If it is like the 8920/8921 the Spectrum analyzer is a plugin module.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: PrecisionAnalytic

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 09:40:02 am »
If it is like the 8920/8921 the Spectrum analyzer is a plugin module.

I finally got around to reading the HP 8922 Series GSM Test Set Assembly Level Repair Manual enough to verify the plugins, albeit not comparing to the 8920, 8921 and the 8924 being the same plugin modules required for the Spectrum Analyzer and other options.

At the estate sale, happened to find of the few test sets one with the 06 option Spectrum Analyzer on the label.  I brought my tools with the T10 & T15 and posidrive tips anticipating a disassembly to inspect and thankfully (I hope at least since I haven't powered on yet) not having to.  Wound up grabbing the unit labeled with opt 6 and a second unit for parts or a spare with an SMA connector vs the Type N on the RF In/Out.

Thinking I'm going to grab the 8924 since reads like has similar capabilities, i.e. Spectrum analyzer, audio analyzer, oscilloscope, signal generator, tracking generator, and RF power analyzer.  Not thinking I'll ever use the CDMA related protocol test sets, however to me is amazing the all in one unit RF Lab testing capabilities I just prior noted.  Plus I'm not finding if the plugins are interchangeable and I want to see and take photos and most likely make a video detailing to share.

Here's what I found regarding the 8924 online: https://www.used-line.com/Specs_URL/98/2998.pdf
The Agilent Technologies 8924C CDMA mobile station test set provides the key set of measurements to manufacture high quality dual-mode CDMA mobile telephones in a single box. Acting as a calibrated, high-performance CDMA base station, the 8924C verifies not only the parametric performance, but also the functional aspects of phone performance. The 8924C is optimized to provide high accuracy measurements with the speed required for efficient manufacturing. These characteristics result in superior performing CDMA mobiles that cost less to manufacture. In addition to its CDMA functionality, the 8924C includes full AMPS, NAMPS, and TACS analog phone test capability. With the 8924C, you save space and cost by making both analog cellular and CDMA digital cellular measurements with the same box.

High accuracy and speed for manufacturing test
Analog and IS-95 CDMA digital phone test capability
Both functional and parametric phone testing
CDMA base station simulator
Hands-off verification
Authentication and short message service support (Korea and the United States)Automated software for PoST and dual-mode mobile station testing
Spectrum analyzer, audio analyzer, oscilloscope, signal generator, tracking generator, and RF power analyzer
CDMA Mode specifications:
Protocol Stack: J-STD-008, KOR PCS, ARIB T-53, IS-95, IS-95A, TSB-74Channel Standards: MS AMPS, US PCS, Korean PCS 0, Korean PCS 1, Japan CDMA, MS NAMPS Upper/Middle/ Lower, MS TACS, MS ETACS, MS NTACS, MS JTACS, and User Defined (PCS bands require the 83236B PCS Interface)Base Station Parameters: NID, SID, BASE_ID, Country Code, Network Code, SRCH_WIN_A, SRCH_WIN_N, SRCH_WIN_R, CDG Esc Mode on/off, Register SID, Register NID, and Power-On Registration on/off
Access Probe Parameters: NOM_PWR, NOM_PWR_EXT, INIT_PWR, PWR_STEP, PAM_SZ, NUM_STEP, AX_REQ_SEQ, and MAX_RSP_SEQ
Paging Channel Parameters: Paging Data Rate (full or half rate), NUM_PAGES
Threshold Parameters: T_ADD, T_DROP, T_COMP, and T_TDROP

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf