Author Topic: 'New' Keithley 177 testing idea's ?  (Read 999 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
'New' Keithley 177 testing idea's ?
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:38:23 pm »
I got this for 70CAD(~55USD) And It seems to work, I've barely tested it tho, and don't have any precision parts or sources to test on. I have a Brymen 869 and MS5308 LR meter to compare against. I have lots ebay 1% blue resistors

The only precision resistors and temperature calibrated references/etc/ ? stuff I can think of having, would be in my tektronics scopes, and the BM869, BM235, and maybe in a cheap Vici VC99 DMM.

I have scrapped wifi modems, I have motherboards, don't if they could help.

I have LM431B 0.5%, TL431 1%, LM336z 1% voltage references. I have a few computer PSU's

I took it apart and some voltages I checked where great. It's a work of art in inside. Too  bad the case and screen are dinged up, the LCD is nice and bright tho.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:40:57 pm by lordvader88 »

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
Re: 'New' Keithley 177 testing idea's ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:49:09 am »
. I have a Brymen 869 and MS5308 LR meter to compare against. I have lots ebay 1% blue resistors.

the LCD is nice and bright tho.
IIRC this meter uses LED's for the display !.
If you just do comparison measurements on various components/sources with the other meters you have you should get a good confidence level for the 177's performance.
Be aware with these vintage meters that the push button switches do play up but usually come good after some 'exercising'. Also note the current ranges share the same terminals as the volts/ohms, check the interanal fuse is still intact.
BTW the 177 is also known as the Racal Dana 4003 and you may find that cheaper since it does not have the Keithley brand name on it  :P. (still 100% Keithley though).
Have fun
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf