Poll

Is it time to split up the Test Equipment section of the website?

No, I like it the way it is
83 (42.1%)
Yes, but just a couple of major categories
80 (40.6%)
Yes, I want a category for everything
9 (4.6%)
Meh, whatever
25 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Time to split up the T&M categories?  (Read 15657 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Time to split up the T&M categories?
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2019, 05:36:46 pm »
Test Equipment has about 340 pages. And due to the massive amount of posts per day, one would need to search a few pages each day to see discussions about devices one is interested in. Why bother to scan through 1 million scopes-posts, when youre only interested in high quality bench DMMs, vintage stuff or interesting specialized stuff from the 70ies. In the end i mostly dont bother to visit TM-Section because of its fast pace and the necessary combing to get interesting stuff and thats sad because theres gold buried somewhere in between.

Unlike when I was young, the key skill nowadays is quickly determining what to ignore.

Splitting into curated categories was the USP of Yahoo! when it started.

Searching uncurated content was the USP of Google when it started.

There are good reasons why the Yahoo! concept failed and the Google concept succeeded, and they are valid in this case too.

Consider: having many categories can only help you define where stuff isn't: most interesting stuff could be equally well be placed into many categories. Example: if you have a problem with a graphing 6.5digit DVM, which single category would you put it in? Repair, metrology, DMM, etc.
Quite right and as Dave told me in a reply, Google is your friend as it searches through our forum and finds key words, so the best way of locating anything within our forum is to use Google and restrict Google to just look at our forum (quite how to do that, I'm not sure, but there must be a way hence Daves reply).

If anyone knows how to do that perhaps they might share it here for all to see and if it is made a "sticky" everyone can see it and then there is zero need to do anything, but leave the forum exactly as it is. If it isn't broken, leave it alone.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2019, 05:45:30 pm »
the best way of locating anything within our forum is to use Google and restrict Google to just look at our forum (quite how to do that, I'm not sure, but there must be a way hence Daves reply).

Just add "site:eevblog.com" to the query.

(without quotes, obviously)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2019, 05:49:06 pm »
the best way of locating anything within our forum is to use Google and restrict Google to just look at our forum (quite how to do that, I'm not sure, but there must be a way hence Daves reply).

Just be lazy and have the new search box in the top right type that for you  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2019, 05:53:12 pm »
If the best way is to use Google then why were all the extra computing boards just added? I'm still confused ...  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2019, 07:06:15 pm »
If the best way is to use Google then why were all the extra computing boards just added? I'm still confused ...  :palm:
Maybe I misunderstood what Dave actually meant then because I suggested that we just needed a better search facility, and he replied the best way is to use Google and tell it to just search the forum  :-// :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2019, 07:17:40 pm »

I don't know. When were all those added? Recently? I usually start from the "new replies" page, so I rarely look at the forum home page.

I concur that for "the largest test equipment forum on the internet," the forum home page doesn't represent it well.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2019, 07:26:13 pm »

I don't know. When were all those added? Recently? I usually start from the "new replies" page, so I rarely look at the forum home page.

Only yesterday as far as I can tell.  :-//

I concur that for "the largest test equipment forum on the internet," the forum home page doesn't represent it well.

I guess I'll quit while I'm ahead. I just do not understand all of this. If Googling is the answer why add more forum boards. And if we are adding more forum boards, then why not more categories for Test Equipment?

Or - why not both? Just because there are more boards doesn't mean people can't still search for topics.

Like I said, Greater Minds than mine are at work on this, I will defer to their wisdom and go back to where I belong.  :-\
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2019, 07:30:13 pm »
It may be better to wait for the dust to settle as speculating during construction may not be optimum for understanding.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:37 am »

Just be lazy and have the new search box in the top right type that for you  ;)
Oops I hadn't noticed that, good tip, thanks bean.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf