Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz HMP2020 defect  (Read 1000 times)

Offline TRNTopic starter

• Supporter
Rohde & Schwarz HMP2020 defect
« on: September 29, 2023, 06:37:32 pm »
I recently bought a second hand HMP2020, which is defect.

When I switch-on the unit all key leds and also the LCD backlit are on, but that is it.
No further response from the unit.

I suspect that the application code in the firmware has been corrupted, so I tried to update the firmware to the latest version.

When I keep the keys "remote & Current" pressed while switching on the unit, the bootloader program executes and the LCD displays the following text:

Firmware update..!  Please start update software (BL1.6) Which I presume represents the Bootloader version.

I downloaded the latest firmware version 2.72 from the R&S site, and the zip file contains the firmware including the update program.

I installed the HO 732 USB / NET adapter in HMP, but when I connect the unit with a USB cable to my PC, I do not get the Normal response:"New Hardware detected"
Also when opening the device manager, I cannot see the USB device, and thus cannot update/install the USB driver for the HO732.

Subsequently starting the FW update program, the update fails because a connection with the HMP cannot be established.

One of the normal tasks of the BL program would be to initiated at least one I/O interface, but for some reason, this does not seem to happen.

I do not yet want to open the unit, to see if I can JTAG it, and as such can update the FW, because according to the calibration certificate, this unit is a little bit over 1 year old, and as such is still under warranty.

Opening the unit would void this.

I have already sent several emails to R&S Portugal with a request to send the unit in for a warranty repair, but so far have received "0" response.
But considering that I am a private person and not a company/multi million dollar corporation, I am not going to hold my breath until getting an answer from them.

For this reason I am posting this to see if anybody from the forum has any bright ideas ;D

Thanks in advance, and any comment are welcome

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: Rohde & Schwarz HMP2020 defect
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 07:54:00 pm »
Do you know which FW version is currently installed? Older FW did not allow to update via USB, it is noted in release notes (R&S support also mentioned this via email). Look for different adapter for update procedure.

FW 2.62 release notes:
The HMP series supports an update of the firmware using the following interfaces:
HO720 dual interface (RS232/USB), only using RS-232
– HO740 GPIB interface
Updating the firmware using the dual interface HO730 (Ethernet/USB) is currently not supported.
FW 2.70 (and newer) release notes:
The HMP series supports an update of the firmware using the following interfaces:
HO720 dual interface (RS232/USB-CDC)
HO73x dual interface (USB/LAN), only using USB-CDC
HO740 GPIB interface

Offline TRNTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 09:37:36 pm »
Hi, thanks that is a good information.

I don.t know which FW version is installed, because the instrument is completely unresponsive.

Do you know by any chance which date version FW 2.60 was issued?

Anyway, I am going to try to source an RS232/USB interface, to see if this will work.

Offline TRNTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 07:51:20 am »
Do you by any chance have a copy of the 2.62 FW, and if so, could upload it to a sharing site, and provide me the link?
Thanks

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 08:19:13 am »
Not sure about FW release dates. There is a link for FW 2.62, you can check modification dates (~2015-2018?).

The following users thanked this post: TRN

Offline TRNTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 08:22:59 am »
Thanks for the link

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 03:17:34 pm »
There is some info on R&S HMP FAQ section HMP Series Firmware update does not work using USB port

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf