Author Topic: Tektronix Probes TPP0250 and TPP0500B. Whats the difference? Teardown time!?  (Read 16469 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
That's a reasonable price: I bought four for $900 about six months ago. The "adapter" is interesting, maybe the seller was hoping it would work with a non-TPP compatible scope.

The penny's just droppef and I've just realised that these are really 40:1 probes which explains how they managed to get the 3.9pF load capacitance. Of course in normal prescribed use you don't realise this, or at least I didn't. I'll take a look at the noise later on more sensitive settings and how it perforns conpared to a standard 10x probe.

Offline luisprata

• Regular Contributor
Hi steffenmauch,

Thank you for your post. It encorauged me to open my TPP0250.

I really like to see TPP1000 opened.
I notice that you can remove PCB from platic case, inserting, for example, a tiny screw driver between BNC connector.
It has four chamfers like in picture...

If you remove your PCB from case, do you think will be possible to remove the metal shielding?

PS: One more.... missing probe pin...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281713816425?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Unfortunatly, he doesn't ship to Brazil.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:15:47 am by luisprata »

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
That's a reasonable price: I bought four for $900 about six months ago. The "adapter" is interesting, maybe the seller was hoping it would work with a non-TPP compatible scope.

The penny's just droppef and I've just realised that these are really 40:1 probes which explains how they managed to get the 3.9pF load capacitance. Of course in normal prescribed use you don't realise this, or at least I didn't. I'll take a look at the noise later on more sensitive settings and how it perforns conpared to a standard 10x probe.

Interesting. So how do they do 10 and 20mv/div then? would be very visible if it was simple zoom on the 40mv/div =1mv/div@scope range. OTOH, agilent got away with just the same on half of their scopes...

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor

Interesting. So how do they do 10 and 20mv/div then? would be very visible if it was simple zoom on the 40mv/div =1mv/div@scope range. OTOH, agilent got away with just the same on half of their scopes...

Hmmmm... It does state it's a 10x probe in the probe setup for a TPP1000, but I do also measure 10Mohm tip impedance and 9.75Mohm tip to BNC inner resistance. I get a similar RMS noise voltage of about 640uV with 20MHz band limit either with this probe or with a normal 10:1 under otherwise default settings.

Curious!

Offline luisprata

• Regular Contributor
I`ve bought one of this....  http://www.ebay.com/itm/162037339934?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I offered US$100,00 and the seller accepted. :)   Good !!!!

As soon as it arrives I`ll send some pictures.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:26:16 am by luisprata »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Very good deal, as far as I can tell the probe tip options (ie spring, clip etc) are identical between the TPP1000 and the lowly TPP0250. If I didn't already have four TPP1000 I'd have ordered some of those (showing 8 available as I write).

Note: these are useless unless you have a compatible Tek scope.

Edit: I note the seller does not ship outside the US, I am sure you are aware of that especially being in Brazil which has its own self inflicted import restrictions, and that there are ways around it with proxy forwarding agents.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:35:16 pm by Howardlong »

Offline luisprata

• Regular Contributor
The probe TPP1000 arrived today.

The cable itself is really very different. Thicker than TPP0250.
The resistence of internal conductor is 176ohms, aprox.
The probe tip looks like equal. 9.73Mohms, aprox.

In figure bellow R2 is 50 ohms. I can't measure caps with my multimeter. They are probably some pFs.

I'll do more tests and measurements soon.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:19:32 pm by luisprata »

Offline luisprata

• Regular Contributor
As steffenmauch said ,

The probes are very different... 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf