Author Topic: Keysight Handheld LCR Can't Measure Resistance as well as my Flukes?  (Read 991 times)

Offline ReprobyteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I have a Keysight U1731C LCR and a few Fluke 80 series 87 and 85, all my Flukes can measure resistors in circuit correctly, but my U1731C is unbelievably far off, like a thousandth of the value or even 1/40Kth of the value or something insane.

Example 39Kohm measuring 34.5Kohm on my Flukes and 1ohm on the Keysight. 680K measures exactly on the Fluke but its 460Ohm on the Keysight.

This is especially on higher wattage resistors 1W 7W 2W

I have some 1/4w resistors that I can test it on and these seem to test ok on both, and I have a 1W 0.33ohm that tests out of circuit.

I am not that well up with the LCR but the difference in behaviour I cant work out, is it the way it measures? AC vs DC and voltage, or is there an issue with the LCR? I would expect to see some what similar results? Anyone who knows what I have done wrong I would appreciate the advice, it just seems weird that the Flukes can all do it.

Thanks

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight Handheld LCR Can't Measure Resistance as well as my Flukes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 08:12:19 pm »
The two meters will use different measurement techniques but the bottom line is that you can't measure resistors in circuit. There can be capacitors and all sorts of other things around.

The following users thanked this post: Reprobyte

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 08:13:24 pm »
Hi,

I am not that well up with the LCR but the difference in behaviour I cant work out, is it the way it measures?

Probably yes (without knowing the circuit you´ve measured into), UC1731 measures impedance, only the U1733C have a DCR range, which means it could measure resistance the way your fluke do.
Have you check what the keysight shows when you separate the resistor from the circuit ?
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Someone, Reprobyte

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 08:14:55 pm »
LCR meter most likely measures resistances with AC voltage, so capacitors in the circuit can impact measurements which may be fine when measured at DC.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 08:22:23 pm »
Thank you for the knowledge sharing guys, that actually makes a ton of sense. Now I think of it the capacitors didn’t allow the DC test through, but the AC was being eaten up by those capacitors in circuit. I appreciate the help very much.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 08:23:05 pm »
@wraper,Yep, therefore he could measure only 1Ohm on a 39kOhm resistor (neg. reactance= cap).
@Reprobyte: Measured value should change when you change the measure frequency of the keysight.
(Kierkegaard)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 11:19:55 pm »
I did a small experiment to confirm why my LCR works the way it does and thought this would be useful for someone like myself to see the difference between a test using AC vs DC on the component in a circuit.

When the LCR is in resistor mode. The 0.33Ohm resistor measures correctly, (image 1) but in a small circuit with the 2200uf capacitor it lowers the Ohms. (image 2)

The DMM in resistor mode. The same circuit does not lower the Ohms reading from the resistor. (image 3)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 11:51:34 pm »
When the LCR is in resistor mode. The 0.33Ohm resistor measures correctly, (image 1) but in a small circuit with the 2200uf capacitor it lowers the Ohms.

This makes sense, when only the resistor is measured, it´s "parasitic" capacitance and inductance won´t take a greater effect ( respectively it´s parasitic inductance is dominating, see the phase angle in the upper right corner of the display, it´s not 0°).
With the "big" 2200µF cap, the capacitive reactance is dominating, see also the phase angle (negative).
(Kierkegaard)

Online Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 02:57:27 am »
Put your LCR meter in DCR mode instead: Press and hold the Freq down button for 2 secs. Exit the mode the same way.

Ooops never mind... That's for the 33 version.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 02:59:46 am by Kim Christensen »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 04:02:30 am »
see also the phase angle (negative).

Thanks I will check this angle while testing to get more understanding, I see it is neutral almost on the single resistor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf