Author Topic: UEI 393 Build quality  (Read 6342 times)

Offline ratdude747Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
UEI 393 Build quality
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:13 pm »
Today the UEI Dm393 I ordered came in.

After breaking the golden rule and turning it on first, I opened it up, and I was a bit disapointed with the build quality inside. In particular there was a nasty looking bodge resistor near the input jacks. See attached pictures.

The unit feels otherwise well built (it really is the DM391 from the $100 shootout + RMS and temp).

Two other side notes:

-As far as I can tell, the temp is only in Fahrenheit, no celsius. Not a huge issue since I live in the USA, but given how much technical stuff is in celsius, it's a bummer.
-The Voltage mode defaults the VAC, not VDC. What a load of crap. Clearly it was designed more for HV industrial use and not so much for electronics use. A bit annoying to say the least.

For the $113 I got it for on ebay (brand new), I personally don't think it's a bad deal.. but for the $130 it's listed for elsewhere, I don't think so.

At least it's better than the $20 cheapie I was kicking... but then again, so is a brick :D.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: UEI 393 Build quality
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:51:19 am »
Yeah, that looks pretty bad. The pinched wire and the resistor don't give the best impression. It also looks like they bent over backwards trying to get those fuses in there they way they are just to have them accessible though the battery door. There is probably nothing inherently unsafe about the mess but it sure isn't very pretty.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:13 am »
I'd be more concerned about that wire being trapped between the case and the ground jack (you can see its insulation is already nearly damaged)  and the fact that the resistor is so close to the shunt resistor (measure some 10A current for a few seconds and then see how HOT that shunt resistor is).

I also don't see why you decided to spend 110$ on this meter instead of going with the ever so popular nowadays UT61E at $55-60 - in only lacks temperature measurement but other than this seems more accurate at everything if I look at the datasheets, not to mention it's 22000 count and has data logging .

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:08:04 am »
In particular there was a nasty looking bodge resistor near the input jacks.
Is there a bodge resistor on the backside?  The one that I have has it on the backside, not the frontside like yours.

Mine is not working and stashed away for possible future repair.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/uei-dm393-repair-advice-all-segments-on-all-the-time/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:53:03 am »
I bougut it because I saw how well the similar dm391 did in the $100 shootout. Other than what I listed, I have no other complaints... heck, with a 5 year factory warranty, I don't see how I could go wrong.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:04 am »
This gives me second thoughts on recommending a DM397. I have been considering getting one as it is a great value at $250 right now. From everything I have seen so far with all the different brands out there UEi was on my list of "can't go wrong" but I am not sure now.

So what are the no problem brands now? Fluke, Brymen and their rebrands, ????  Even the Agilents have been buggy but at least they can be fixed with firmware.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:37 am »
I fixed the pinched wire...

Interesting note: It can measure Celsius after all... but the manual says it's only changeable at the factory.  |O

But yeah, it's otherwise passed my day 1 tests.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:43:09 am »
See the attached datasheet ... check the specs listed to the specs of the meter to see if this is the right chip revision.

There's a page explaining how the chip measures temperature, you may be able to just change a resistor to get the temperature in celsius displayed (but perhaps still have the F icon if any on display still showing)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:17:38 am »
Nah, I'd rather not void the 5 year warranty on this one. Normally I'll mod anything (just look at some of my threads over at Badcaps.net) but none of those things really had a warranty to speak of. This is different.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:26 am »

You should also reflow both solder joints on that bodge resistor.  Even the bodge repair is a bodge. That solder is all balled up , it's possibly not making contact to the larger wirewound resistor at all.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:40:17 pm »

You should also reflow both solder joints on that bodge resistor.  Even the bodge repair is a bodge. That solder is all balled up , it's possibly not making contact to the larger wirewound resistor at all.

If I could do that without voiding the warranty I would... Moving the wire is one thing, busting out the iron is a different thing.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:20 am »
Ha!  I can see it now......

Some UEI technician opens up your meter and says:
"These solder joints look perfect!?!?!?  It certainly didn't leave the factory with soldering this good.  Warranty VOIDED!!!!!"

Offline njht4

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
hi regards to the comment on the uei393 defaulting to a/c volts.I have 3 uei393 meters two I bought in U/K which default to A/C volts.the other I got from America the American uei 393 defaults to D/C volts.I wonder why.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf