Author Topic: Racal 6103E Digital Radio Test Set Original Firmware  (Read 1258 times)

Offline dosdude1Topic starter

Racal 6103E Digital Radio Test Set Original Firmware
« on: January 22, 2022, 10:06:35 pm »
About 6 years ago, I acquired a Racal 6103E digital radio test set from a friend of mine. Unfortunately, it seems that some company, "Anite", has installed some sort of custom firmware to the device, making it useless as a standalone device without their special control software and/or extra equipment. My goal was to attempt to restore the stock firmware onto the device (I did get manuals and a couple floppy disks containing firmware updates with the device), but unfortunately the Anite firmware does not allow me to put the device in firmware updating mode, at least as specified in the manual. With that said, I am posting here to see if, A, someone had any ideas on how to actually use this Anite firmware, and ultimately get the device into firmware programming/update mode, or B, would be able to dump the EEPROM(s) of a similar device still containing the original firmware so that I could simply flash the device's EEPROM(s) externally. The firmware files included with the firmware update floppy disks are not in a format that can just be simply flashed to an EEPROM, but are attached if anybody wants to take a look at them. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any input you have to offer.

Offline PeterPan12

Re: Racal 6103E Digital Radio Test Set Original Firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 06:29:46 am »
Hey did you can priovide my the Manuals for the 6103E. Mine have the normal Firware but my Mobile Phone wont find the BTS. Perhaps i find some hints in the Manual.

And is this the Orginal Firmware or Antie Firmware ?

Reargds PeterPan12

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 09:13:58 pm »
I've finally gotten this all resolved, by way of buying another unit off eBay that still had the stock firmware installed, and dumping its ROMs. The ROMs in question are 4 PLCC32 29F040 512K EEPROMs located on the bottom side of the main backplane board, as shown in the attached photo. The dumps of these ROMs are attached as well. In order to restore the firmware with the dumps, simply remove each EEPROM, and flash the respective dump onto each one. Once soldered back on, the device should then boot into the original firmware. Please be aware, though, that these ROMs seems to contain calibration data (or at least a calibration checksum), so the device will complain on boot of a calibration checksum mismatch. Otherwise, it's proven to work perfectly fine. I've even been able to connect a phone and run tests on it, as shown in the second photo.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 09:22:41 pm »
Hey did you can priovide my the Manuals for the 6103E. Mine have the normal Firware but my Mobile Phone wont find the BTS. Perhaps i find some hints in the Manual.

And is this the Orginal Firmware or Antie Firmware ?

Reargds PeterPan12

In order to connect a (modern-ish) phone to the unit, you need to program a SIM card to the parameters of a "Test SIM", which are as follows:

• PIN: 0000 0000
  • PUK1/2: 11111111 22222222
  • Ki: 5E4AB35891375D2AEE812E67C309A629
  • IMSI: 001010123456789
  • Admin Field/ADM: 80

I used the following SIM cards/programmer from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805102848304.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf