Author Topic: Sketchy looking power supply.  (Read 912 times)

Offline josh132Topic starter

• Contributor
  • OSCILLOSCOPE
Sketchy looking power supply.
« on: March 08, 2021, 01:49:13 am »
I'm pretty sure this is one of the el cheapo power supplies from amazon. But it seems pretty legit. I know the capacitors are likely shit quality along with the binding posts and plastic, but I've heard its fairly decent. Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DJ1LP2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bu du bu nu

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Sketchy looking power supply.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:51:27 am »
love the high precision capacitors  loll

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:53:57 am »
Just spend the extra money and get the Korad that so many others have.  I have the programmable one, but the non-programmable one is less money and still good.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 02:18:16 am »
Most of these supplies put out tons of hash and ripple. Just fine for powering something up but near useless without a proper filter if you want to look at anything on a scope. The hash is so severe it will just put noise on everything on your bench.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 02:21:52 am »
seem unavaible, so no priceinfo and if its "sketchy" in regards to what they are asking..
but at sub 50USD delivered (guessing=) ur likely getting what your paying.
I went for some of the linear KOrad variants that were around 60 to 70USD, but some of that is likely shipping costs, as they do weigh quite a lot...
I purchased these two (P with USB PC control interface) and were around 70USD delivered each, though it is numerous years back, so likely way better purchases today...

video of the inside of the more crude variant/weight.. https://imgur.com/gallery/B7ZOQ3J

The biggest con is the 5A limit, though I can daisy-chain and reach higher ampere , when IM dealing with laser diodes that needs above 5.1A and also quite a con the lack of dedicated on/off button on one of the units.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 03:15:36 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 01:15:36 pm »
Most of these supplies put out tons of hash and ripple. Just fine for powering something up but near useless without a proper filter if you want to look at anything on a scope. The hash is so severe it will just put noise on everything on your bench.
I agree. And it isn't fanless. I have one as well but it needed quite a bit of modification to make it safe and kill some of the (electrical) noise from the output. I retired it in favour of a fanless PSU from Gophert and Rek.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf