Author Topic: Tiny SA / Nano VNA  (Read 277 times)

Offline Glenn0010Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tiny SA / Nano VNA
« on: July 12, 2024, 09:07:42 am »
I'm looking at the Nano VNA / Tiny SA. I've had a quick look but can't quite find the information I need.

Ideally, I'd like to generate curves of Impedance vs frequency of components. I had a look and can't quite find anywhere where it clearly say this. Does it have this feature built in ? If not could the s parameter curves be exported and then transformed to impedance curves?

Best Regards,

Glenn

Offline ftg

• Regular Contributor
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
Re: Tiny SA / Nano VNA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 09:18:53 am »
TinySA will not do that, it being a spectrum analyzer.
The software on most NanoVNA's reactance vs. frequency, which sounds like what you are after.
PC side tooling like NanoVNA-saver and vna-qt do allow saving the S-parameter files for later analysis if that is required.
It can also plot the S11 in the formats in the attachent.

Offline Glenn0010Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 09:25:36 am »
Thanks FTG,  Yes Ideally I'd like to measure impedance of the individual components, but also, look at the transfer functions of filters, for the second point I'm not sure it will work on this as it might not have enough ports.

Offline ftg

• Regular Contributor
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 10:19:01 am »
NanoVNA and LiteVNA are perfectly usable for measuring filters. They are 1.5port devices.
One proper VNA transmitter port and one receive only port.
So in addition to S11, S21 can be measured, but S22 cannot, as there is not transmitter in port 2.
Folks over at the RF and microwaves subforum measure filters with them all the time.
And so do I.

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 10:56:41 am »
You can take the measurements one after another on a e.g. diplexer with the other port terminated.
Depending on the number of ports (e.g. Triplexer) and measurements (only through or isolation as well) you need, it's a lot of connections to make, though.
Still fine to get started. You'd need to use the PC software to save and overlay the files to get the "complete view".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf