Author Topic: The unobtanium connector of Solartron 7061, what to do, please help ?  (Read 23795 times)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor

So why not just dump them altogether and replace them by obtainable and affordable connectors from Lemo/Odu or whoever that fit into the hole? Not banana sockets, but push/pull connectors. Looks like the best way to go if you ask me.

That's my plan  :)

I will dump the old female and male connector and replace them by similar connectors I ordered from ebay.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Also the right type seem to be: Fischer Connectors S 104A053-130+

Any reason for chosing the PEEK insert (-130) in preference to the PTFE insert (-60)?

Looking at the plastics' generic properties, the PTFE may have a higher voltage limit, the PEEK may have less deformation.
http://polyfluoroltd.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/ptfe-vs-peek-comparison-of-properties.html
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hello everybody, first of all, thanks everybody for the pictures, it seems that the mounting is not as bad as I was expecting it. actually is pretty simple to unsolder and replace the connectors.
I believe one member have said that the size is M15, that means the hole is 12mm in diameter, can it be confirmed ? Because if we change the connectors, at least not drill or affect the panel.

Now for the few forum members, is anybody else willing to call the Fischer, I'll take two connectors, one for a 2-wire lead and one for a 4-wire lead. Should we try to do a collective order ?
Or should we replace the connectors in a consistent way and invest the difference in hi-quality shielded test leads and Kelvin clips ?

Knowing my luck, after I'll change the connectors and invest in the test leads, somehow the market will be flooded with cheap or reasonably priced original test leads, if I'll keep the connectors, most likely I'll finish my reincarnation and not even see an original Solartron lead  :-DD.

But whatever the conclusion of the forum is, I will go with the crowd wisdom and do it as such, specking of which, what are some good quality shielded leads with and without Kelvin clips.

And what are the favorites for the new connectors, here I'm listing my finds as well:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/GX12-Luftfahrt-Rundstecker-Stecker-und-Buchse-Durchmesser-12mm/132576372856

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LEMO-3-5-PIN-BREVETE-S-G-D-G-Circular-Push-Pull-Connector-FFA-3E-650-CLAC11/273030611729

And for the Teflon or other plastic type original guy, I vote to pick up the least expensive compatible one, if one of bio-Germans will give a call to Fischer, just to get a price and availability, I'll be grateful, if not I'll try to do it, but they may close the phone :))

Waiting for your opinion,
 DC1MC

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
Hello everybody, first of all, thanks everybody for the pictures, it seems that the mounting is not as bad as I was expecting it. actually is pretty simple to unsolder and replace the connectors.

You mean you haven't even had a look inside? I may not always take it apart before turning it on, but I always get round to taking it apart! You never know what nasty surprises might be lurking inside.  :scared:

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
I believe one member have said that the size is M15, that means the hole is 12mm in diameter, can it be confirmed ? Because if we change the connectors, at least not drill or affect the panel.

Now for the few forum members, is anybody else willing to call the Fischer, I'll take two connectors, one for a 2-wire lead and one for a 4-wire lead. Should we try to do a collective order ?
Or should we replace the connectors in a consistent way and invest the difference in hi-quality shielded test leads and Kelvin clips ?

Knowing my luck, after I'll change the connectors and invest in the test leads, somehow the market will be flooded with cheap or reasonably priced original test leads, if I'll keep the connectors, most likely I'll finish my reincarnation and not even see an original Solartron lead  :-DD.

But whatever the conclusion of the forum is, I will go with the crowd wisdom and do it as such, specking of which, what are some good quality shielded leads with and without Kelvin clips.

And what are the favorites for the new connectors, here I'm listing my finds as well:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/GX12-Luftfahrt-Rundstecker-Stecker-und-Buchse-Durchmesser-12mm/132576372856

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LEMO-3-5-PIN-BREVETE-S-G-D-G-Circular-Push-Pull-Connector-FFA-3E-650-CLAC11/273030611729

And for the Teflon or other plastic type original guy, I vote to pick up the least expensive compatible one, if one of bio-Germans will give a call to Fischer, just to get a price and availability, I'll be grateful, if not I'll try to do it, but they may close the phone :))

Waiting for your opinion,
 DC1MC
As for me, I doubt I will use this instrument much, as I have lots of other DMMs (and it is rather big). Didn't even bother to look whether it works. And I do have a plug. But a colleague got the second 7061, and he did not luck out. Coming to think of it, this might well be the source of the 7061 in the OP, so he wouldn't need one.  :palm: Anyway, his mind is currently stressed with other things.

M15 should not fit in a 12-mm hole, as it's diameter is (as the name suggests) 15 millimeters.

I might be a "Bio-German", but there's one thing I just hate: Making telephone calls (which explains in part why I don't have a mobile phone).

I don't think Solartron's engineers were all wrong. The idea of needing just one connector (with excellent handling qualities) has lots of appeal. They probably hoped to set a standard with others to follow, but that didn't work out. If it did, they'd be commonplace now.

• Super Contributor

As for me, I doubt I will use this instrument much, as I have lots of other DMMs (and it is rather big). Didn't even bother to look whether it works. And I do have a plug. But a colleague got the second 7061, and he did not luck out. Coming to think of it, this might well be the source of the 7061 in the OP, so he wouldn't need one.  :palm: Anyway, his mind is currently stressed with other things.

M15 should not fit in a 12-mm hole, as it's diameter is (as the name suggests) 15 millimeters.

I might be a "Bio-German", but there's one thing I just hate: Making telephone calls (which explains in part why I don't have a mobile phone).

I don't think Solartron's engineers were all wrong. The idea of needing just one connector (with excellent handling qualities) has lots of appeal. They probably hoped to set a standard with others to follow, but that didn't work out. If it did, they'd be commonplace now.

Well, about the 7061, I can offer him asylum if it's getting bored ;), indeed for the M15 the diameter of the hole is 13mm, for M14 nut the hole is around 12mm, but let's wait for a measure.
If aren't any takers, I'll try to call Fischer tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Well, do we have the Fischer designations?
In that case I could try.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
I usually flip out most Girls due to the way I talk on the phone (they really stress out, but cant do sh#t because of = >). I also have very impressive clients so I can also try and call.

But: if this is Fischer Elektronik, we should be prepared for very high prices. They are super high quality, but very very pricey.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
If anyone wanted to form a buy group to get a better price from Fischer I'm here.
I have a 7081 and it took me years of hunting on ebay to find only one Fischer S104A053 connector at a decent price (28 EUR).
Two other connectors would help me.

• Super Contributor
Well, do we have the Fischer designations?
In that case I could try.

Well, the consensus seem to be that the Fischer Connectors designation is:

S104-A053-130+

One member said that may be a cheaper version with 60 instead of 130 (different plastic), but if the price difference is negligible, I will go for the original.
Also, I don't know if the above designator describe a full connector, with all bits and pieces of the shell and cable bender protection, but the sales guy from Fischer should be able to produce a complete connector.
Deutschland
Tel:  +49 8106 377-22-0
Fax: +49 8106 377-22-199
Toll free: 0 800 2333 233

I'm in for two, depending of their quotation.

Many thanks,
  DC1MC

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra

[...]

I'm one of these bio-Germans  ;D and I'll give this morning Mr. Decker from Fischer Connectors a call.
He is the representative for the southwestern part of Germany, and that's where I'm living.

I'll go for the S104-A053-130+ since this looks to me the right thing.

Will let you know here before noon today about the results.

HTH

Andreas
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

• Super Contributor

[...]

I'm one of these bio-Germans  ;D and I'll give this morning Mr. Decker from Fischer Connectors a call.
He is the representative for the southwestern part of Germany, and that's where I'm living.

I'll go for the S104-A053-130+ since this looks to me the right thing.

Will let you know here before noon today about the results.

HTH

Andreas

Thanks a lot Andreas, you really did me a favor  ^-^.

Now there are two possibilities: either the price is as unbotanium as the connector, or they will come with some old stock at an acceptable price.
I'm wondering if we should register an e.V for dealing with the suppliers, but we need at least 7 members  8).

OK, I'm starting the official nails chewing until the answer arrives.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
[
Thanks a lot Andreas, you really did me a favor  ^-^.

:) You are welcome.

OK, I'm starting the official nails chewing until the answer arrives.

In that case I would recommend one of those wooden sticks from Starbucks. They are probably better for your teeth than the official iron nails.  ;D
And the wooden stick comes usually with a coffee. :)

Andreas
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Ok, here we go:

I had a nice call with Fischer Connectors in Germany.

I got this prices over the phone but they want me to send them an email, which I will do right after this posting.
(I am a new customer to them so they need some details. )

I asked for 10 pieces.
Prices for the S104-A053-130+ (which is a standard connector to them):
EUR 29,- per piece

plus the additional "Kabelspannzange" which is the strain relief? cable anchorage? which is
EUR 5,- per piece

And they need the outer diameter of the cable for this.

** Edit: the diameter I gave to them was 5mm **

So, overall I think the whole plug will cost about EUR 34,- (plus shipping I think and some handling. But this will be mentioned in the written quotation, I think)

Delivery time for this plug is 3 weeks.
The plug is the shielded version.

So far from my side.

Andreas
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:17:46 am by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: picburner, Neomys Sapiens, DC1MC, zitt

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
It's cool that those connectors are still available. Nevertheless it's kind of expensive considering that I paid like 55 EUR for my 7061.

On my side I will probably stick with the cheap connectors from ebay  :)

• Super Contributor
Ok, here we go:

I got this prices over the phone but they want me to send them an email, which I will do right after this posting.

I asked for 10 pieces.
EUR 29,- per piece

plus the additional "Kabelspannzange" which is the strain relief? cable anchorage? which is
EUR 5,- per piece

So, overall I think the whole plug will cost about EUR 34,- (plus shipping I think and some handling. But this will be mentioned in the written quotation, I think)

So far from my side.

Andreas

Let's see the final quote, I'm on the edge, sadly it will be difficult to find a home for other 8, but OK, I didn't pay 50$ on mine (sadly) and maybe some time I'll get a 7081.

In any situation, thanks again Andreas.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Ok, here we go:

I asked for 10 pieces.
EUR 29,- per piece

EUR 5,- per piece

So far from my side.

Andreas

I may well be interested, particularly if it can mitigate any minimum order costs.

I've sent an email to the UK part of Fischer, so I'll see what happens.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Thanks @tggzzz, I'm really interested to see which side will offer better prices, I'm tempted to call on Friday their hq in Switzerland, just to have an upper limit  :-DD :-DD.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Update

I got the final quote from Fischer, please see screenshot.

plug per piece:     29,49 EUR
cable relief:            5,36 EUR

complete set:       34,85 EUR
plus VAT (19%):    6,62 EUR

total:                     41,47 EUR  (without shipping and handling)

I'm thinking about of ordering 10 sets. If there are enough people interested here, I'll do so.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Wow. And I always thought Lemo were chichi with their pricing... :scared:
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
I'm thinking about of ordering 10 sets. If there are enough people interested here, I'll do so.

After I get a quote from Fischer UK, I may well be interested.

• Super Contributor
Lead time 3 weeks, huh ? OK, sign me in for 2pcs. and thanks Andreas for your effort.
I hope they will came with all bits and pieces necessary.

Now I've got some chinesium Kelvin clips with shielded leads, but what to get for some nice shielded dual conductor flexible cable for the main set of 2 wire test leads ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
but what to get for some nice shielded dual conductor flexible cable for the main set of 2 wire test leads ?

I'm going to try this one : https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-PTFE-silver-plated-cable-wire-20awg-4c-Shielded-3meter-Speaker/253173432482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Will use it for 2 and 4 wires test leads (as recommended in the manual).

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Well the manual do not recommend this particular cable but look like they use 4 cores shielded cable for both type (2/4 leads)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Look like its possible o buy the whole cable with banana plug and fischer connector for around 200eur

https://www.ab-precision.de/products/accessories/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf