Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 645800 times)

slavoy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #1800 on: April 07, 2024, 05:07:10 pm »
Get a kick out of newbies that immediately claim somethings "broken/bug" because it doesn't "behave" the way they expect, without taking the time to understand the reasoning behind why things behave the way they do!!!

That's why I usually ask "what's up with this" rather than assuming something is a bug. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, mawyatt

Offline chaohwa4

« Reply #1801 on: April 16, 2024, 05:42:54 pm »
I recently received Siglent SDG2042X. According to the specs, the maximum frequency is 40 MHz. I want to send an arbitrary waveform to 1.8 GHz or 2.4 GHz. How can I make it work?

Thank you so much.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1802 on: April 16, 2024, 06:06:34 pm »
I recently received Siglent SDG2042X. According to the specs, the maximum frequency is 40 MHz. I want to send an arbitrary waveform to 1.8 GHz or 2.4 GHz. How can I make it work?

Thank you so much.

Buy another AWG that can generate in that range. MHz < GHz.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline chaohwa4

« Reply #1803 on: April 29, 2024, 01:19:57 pm »
Or buy an RF mixer to run the RF frequency in the GHz range to pair with the signal generator.

Offline Vit G

• Contributor
« Reply #1804 on: May 18, 2024, 06:14:31 am »
if a square wave (or other not sine/cosine) signal with a frequency of 5 MHz is fed to an RF mixer with a frequency transfer to 1 GHz, this does not mean that you will get a square wave with a frequency of 1.005/0.995 GHz. therefore, it will still not be possible to transmit synthesized waveforms by this method.
Studying metrology and LNA

Offline famalex

• Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: July 03, 2024, 09:57:23 pm »

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Wrenches of Death, symphonystars

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1806 on: July 03, 2024, 10:26:59 pm »
Ohhh, nice! I love that 4th item:

1. Solve the problem of output desynchronization when modulation depth/phase deviation/frequency deviation is changed in channel tracking mode with AM/PM/FM modulation

2. Solve the problem of abnormal output waveform when switching back to the internal clock when the external reference clock is abnormal.

3. Solve the problem of occasional abnormal output waveform after power on

4. Add the function of long pressing store/recall to save screenshots

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1807 on: July 04, 2024, 07:12:53 am »
It seems that, even if not mentioned in the release history, they have solved the bug related to new firmwares with old hardware versions, that affected FW 2.01.01.37R8_EN, 2.01.01.37R6_EN, 2.01.01.37R3_EN. See my post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg5134449/#msg5134449 and the following one.

I have just tested the new release 2.01.01.38R4_EN and the sweep anomaly around 293 kHz has disappeared. Wonderful! It took some time, but thanks Siglent!

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1808 on: July 04, 2024, 03:35:55 pm »
Level step at 293hHz is no more with the newest FW. Siglent responds to bug reports :-+

Offline Roger Need

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: July 06, 2024, 08:13:52 pm »
Hi, Tautech!

Can I hope that you will someday correct the phase shift between channels that cannot be eliminated by the EqPhase button?
-9 Degrees error on 100MHz (abt 0.25nS)
    Phase Coupling procedure is not a solution that should be used. it is only needed to compensate for the length of the cables if it is different. with the same length there should be enough EqPhase button!
Do you have the latest firmware installed ?

I have seen this before with identical cables but with EqPhase it is much reduced then to add some small Phase adjustment can be nulled completely out. However as you change frequencies phase can move slightly and you need make further adjustments.

Attached from a SDG6022X, 20 MHz, 500mV and identical cables with EqPhase and channel copy applied where any phase difference is tiny then have added 5o to show a difference between channels.

I just installed the latest firmware (2.01.01.38R4) on a 2122X and was disappointed to find the time delay between the two channels has not been fixed.  It is still around 350 ps. at 120 MHz.  which is a phase difference of 15 degrees.  Test was done with matched cables in track mode.  In CH copy mode with EW Phase pressed i got the same result.

Tautech - can you please submit this bug to Siglent for comsideration?

Roger

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1810 on: July 06, 2024, 09:34:14 pm »
[...] the time delay between the two channels has not been fixed.  It is still around 350 ps. at 120 MHz.  which is a phase difference of 15 degrees.

That's less than half a sampling interval, 1/(1.2 GHz) = 833 ps. I wonder whether this deviation can be corrected in firmware at all?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Kibabalu, Bad_Driver

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: July 10, 2024, 06:41:17 pm »
I finally found the time to unbox and play with my SDG2042X. The upgrade went smoothly, and the latest firmware installed without issues, but I have a problem. All the buttons are constantly lit... During the LEDTest, there are no changes; the buttons stay lit. So, I guess I need to pack it up and send it for service?   :'(
Also this rise time is... but i knew it.
I'm tempted to take it apart  >:D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 06:48:57 pm by slavoy »

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1812 on: July 10, 2024, 06:59:03 pm »
Were the LEDs like that before updating firmware?

I would try a factory reset and reflashing the new firmware before sending it back.

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1813 on: July 10, 2024, 07:13:06 pm »
Is there a method for a factory reset? I only did 'Set to Default,' but I think that only changes the settings.
Firmware reflash did not have any effect.
The worst part is, I did not pay attention if they were lit before  |O I will try a downgrade too.
I have already opened a 1032X before, and that seals are quite tricky  ::)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1814 on: July 10, 2024, 07:44:22 pm »
Is there a method for a factory reset?
Yes, but not public.

I only did 'Set to Default,' but I think that only changes the settings.
Firmware reflash did not have any effect.
The worst part is, I did not pay attention if they were lit before  |O I will try a downgrade too.
I have already opened a 1032X before, and that seals are quite tricky  ::)

Will any of the buttons toggle their states ?
Can you turn the channels, Mod etc to OFF ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: July 10, 2024, 07:48:27 pm »
Yes, they function fine in that regard. Its just that they are constantly backlit.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1816 on: July 10, 2024, 07:52:35 pm »
Yes, they function fine in that regard. Its just that they are constantly backlit.
Hmmm
Will send PM.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, gjvdheiden, slavoy

Online ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1817 on: Yesterday at 02:44:58 pm »
For those who own a SDG here and do RF experiments/work, what have you done or accomplished with SDG, or what use cases has your SDG served so far?

I got mine recently and I'll likely be testing some buffered signal distribution boards I have put together.
"If you are going to fail, at least do so spectacularly."

Kurtz: [intercepted radio message] I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving. -- Apocalypse Now (1979)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: Yesterday at 06:00:04 pm »
For those who own a SDG here and do RF experiments/work, what have you done or accomplished with SDG, or what use cases has your SDG served so far?

I got mine recently and I'll likely be testing some buffered signal distribution boards I have put together.

I used mine recently to test an array of bandpass filters that I designed for an Audio Spectrum analyser I'm building, based on IN-13 Nixie Tubes. I bought it originally to test the output filter of a DC/DC Boost converter for an extremely sensitive application that wasn't doing what I expected, but I've found many uses for it in between.

McBryce. 
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1819 on: Yesterday at 06:07:16 pm »
I used mine recently to test an array of bandpass filters that I designed for an Audio Spectrum analyser I'm building, based on IN-13 Nixie Tubes.

That sounds cool! Any photos of it?

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #1820 on: Yesterday at 06:50:31 pm »
Hi,

On my main workbench is an SDG 1032X, SDG 20242X, SSG 3021X and another function generator in my SDS 2100 Scoop.

For most work below 10MHz the SDG1032X goes on, this is because I often use a mix of Sine and Square wave when testing.
The Square wave to 1V peak peak of the SDG 1032X is almost perfect, so it is very useful when measuring broadband amplifiers.
There are virtually no abberations seen on the Square wave(this of course within its bandwidth)

Today I did some measurements on reception circuits for the German DCF time transmitter on 77.5KHz using the SDG 1032x and the HF generator SSG 3021X.

Also, my Rigol DSA spectrum analyzer for some measurements.
I noticed that the SDG 1032 is extremely flat in its operating range.
This of course if he sees a nice 50 Ohm load and that for a generator of around 350€ here in the Netherlands

Furthermore, I usually use the SDG 1032X for the Bode plots I make, this because the generator is right next to my scope and this is convenient with the coax cables.

With kind regards,
Bram

PS
KungFuJosh want a picture, that is posible!  ;)

This is a Bode Plot made with the SDG 1032X generator coupled to the SDS 2100 Scope.
It is a measurement regarding the bandwidth (Q) of a ferrite rod around 600KHz
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:56:48 pm by blackdog »
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

The following users thanked this post: flash2b, 2N3055, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1821 on: Today at 11:07:26 am »
I used mine recently to test an array of bandpass filters that I designed for an Audio Spectrum analyser I'm building, based on IN-13 Nixie Tubes.

That sounds cool! Any photos of it?

Unfortunately, it's still at a very early stage and moving extremely slowly, because life. Eventually it should match the style of the clock I built a few years ago. It will probably have 10 or 12 bands and the input will be via a microphone, so that it reacts to everything in the room and not just hooked up to the sound system.

McBryce.

The Clock....

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1822 on: Today at 02:18:41 pm »
The Clock....

Cool! I love nixie tube stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf