Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17717991 times)

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #136500 on: July 23, 2024, 04:28:57 pm »
this found part looks more to be a transport protection for the instrument.
remove the wires from the instrument to test if it will be possible to bring it on zero.
The coil filter must be adjusted exactly , the test frequency is 140kHz.
The components test clip for 130 is the first tek adaptor in the numbering, 013-001-00.
Ehen the 130 is OK it must be possible to zero it when the adaptor is mounted.
The best what it can do to be tested is:

range C, up to 3µµF
zero this.
give him a 0,3pF in the clip :-)
130 have to display 3 stripes, = 0,3pF

any modern digital system will not accept this 0,3pF but a 130 can test it qickly.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136501 on: July 23, 2024, 06:06:51 pm »
The part seems to have functional similarities with a tool forcing a lock ring wider.
If its hook parts are the actual thing.

But is there even a place?
Bit wide to be inside a panel meter of that size.

Then the other thing, for the collimator.
Target size of 2" of iron sight distance of 150m.
360*60*60/2/pi/150/10/(10/5.08) ~ 69.9 arcsec
So ~700 dots on that diameter.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136502 on: July 23, 2024, 07:46:57 pm »
Ahh,
For long distance angle measurement I have a Stonex STS5 "Total Station". This is a digital theodolite with coaxial laser range finder. Angular accuracy is 5 seconds and range accuracy +- 2mm from 1m to over 2500m.
Yes, I'm a metrology nut.

Robert.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136503 on: July 23, 2024, 08:27:11 pm »
this found part looks more to be a transport protection for the instrument.
remove the wires from the instrument to test if it will be possible to bring it on zero.
The coil filter must be adjusted exactly , the test frequency is 140kHz.
The components test clip for 130 is the first tek adaptor in the numbering, 013-001-00.
Ehen the 130 is OK it must be possible to zero it when the adaptor is mounted.
The best what it can do to be tested is:

range C, up to 3µµF
zero this.
give him a 0,3pF in the clip :-)
130 have to display 3 stripes, = 0,3pF

any modern digital system will not accept this 0,3pF but a 130 can test it qickly.

I should have been clearer, I've not got anywhere near powering it up, the zero problem is mechanical, someone has had a go before, as I found the nuts that hold the movement into the meter casing were loose, there is rust in the magnet gap at the top right, the magnet also appears to be off-centre. Not sure if there is something wrong with the taut-band on the back side on the movement, it seems to be resting off centre here too.
To attempt cleaning the gap, I need something non-magnetic to clamp/hold the movement in.

I've not got the test fixture you mention, only a short test lead with croc clips.

The part seems to have functional similarities with a tool forcing a lock ring wider.
If its hook parts are the actual thing.

But is there even a place?
Bit wide to be inside a panel meter of that size.

The found part is the end stops for the meter pointer, it fits behind the scale plate, I've put it back in place. The panel meter was made by API (Assembly Products Inc.), I've no idea if the scale plate was individually calibrated with Tek TE, as HP did.

David
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 08:34:51 pm by factory »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #136504 on: July 24, 2024, 10:54:56 am »
HP5328A  on the bench.

Seems to work fine, but the display comes up bright and then fades away within the next 60s or so. Popping the hood.

Some RIFA's on the 230V. Haven't released the magic smoke yet but I'm not going to wait for that. A few snips later:

Didn't solve the problem, wasn't expecting that either. Looking at the schematics, a 3.5V rail is feeding the display:

Probing around shows the voltage decaying over time. Digging up the 3.5V supply schematics:

Poking around some more and I notice the 75 Ohm current limiting resistor measures way low. Just to make sure, I take it out of circuit. Still low. About 0.75 Ohm or so.

Uh...

Yeah, the dot was missing as confirmed by the color code. Also makes sense, a low value current sense resistor would rather result in voltage high than voltage low.

And this, kids, is why you should write 0R75 or something rather than .75.

Putting back the resistor, I noticed that the voltage over it remains stable during the decay. As it starts out at 3.5V, it's fair to say the converter works and is working in current limiting mode. So the problem should be in the display module itself... I actually have a spare but I figured let's have some FLIR fun first! Nothing weird on the display but... Hangon, who that? Only 70C or so but you wouldn't expect much more with current limited at 0.5A or so and only 3.5V.

A 22u cap, not on the schematic. *snip*, *snip* and io and behold!

Actually a rather nice specimen. Ovenized oscillator (soaked for a few decades for your pleasure), the 512MHz option, GPIB. Me happy.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 10:56:30 am by Ice-Tea »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Andrew_Debbie, factory, m k, Peter_O

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136505 on: July 24, 2024, 11:07:21 am »
A quick evaluation of what may be done to the bunch of Metrix MX20's "en croûte de sel".
These, contrary to most of their family use AA batteries which spew much better than the 9V type. When they're salty enough if all the copper hasn't dissolved by then, the unaware user tests mains voltage, tracks go off in vapour...
Left could be saved, centre is lacking a lot of metal, right has a lifted track on the selector switch.
Not sure it's worth the bother !

The following users thanked this post: Vince, factory

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136506 on: July 24, 2024, 03:07:25 pm »

Ever wonder what people who've left are up to ?
I'm always worried they're that deep in TEA that they don't have time to keep us updated, or eat, or sleep, whatever...

We've got an 820sq. ft. house which imposes a hard limit.  I am working on a few time nut  projects, but I don't have anywhere to put the big boat anchors.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136507 on: July 24, 2024, 04:11:50 pm »
The found part is the end stops for the meter pointer,

So a perspective error, and not even a transport lock.

About led digits.
I've obviously found some very usual ones again, TI logic integrated 306 versions.
Luckily 4x 4000mAh D-cells were leaked only a bit.
But one digit chip has one dark segment and it can successfully be in only some of equal locations, must be a power thingy.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #136508 on: July 24, 2024, 06:52:39 pm »
foul in front of the goal :-)  the red cable stopped the fan -> overheat -> junk ..

restoration.

GX5000Mod, Metrix.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Andy Watson, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, factory, duckduck, m k

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136509 on: July 24, 2024, 07:53:12 pm »
The Autocollimator (AC) arrived today. I had asked the seller to ensure it was well packed. It arrived in a very nice ballistic nylon case with foam inner. Not designed for the AC but it fitted quite well. The case also contained part of a bomb disposal robot* that someone overlooked.
The AC is obviously a Hilger and Watts and matches a TA50 in every detail but has no identification marks. It's in good ciondition. There is a crack in the glass over the coarse scale but it's obviously historic and does not affect operation. The lamp is missing as shown in the photographs in the listing. I was planning on fitting a LED anyway. A bit of work to do.

Robert.

*Don't ask how I know this.

The following users thanked this post: factory, duckduck

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136510 on: July 24, 2024, 10:11:28 pm »
Bah.. humbug: with respect to T&M equipment what counts is cubic feet of a house, not square feet!

8)

I'm always worried they're that deep in TEA that they don't have time to keep us updated, or eat, or sleep, whatever...

We've got an 820sq. ft. house which imposes a hard limit.  I am working on a few time nut  projects, but I don't have anywhere to put the big boat anchors.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, duckduck, BILLPOD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #136511 on: July 24, 2024, 10:26:20 pm »
Bah.. humbug: with respect to T&M equipment what counts is cubic feet of a house, not square feet!

8)

Never forget floor loading, and how the maximum limit changes changes over time :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136512 on: July 24, 2024, 11:33:06 pm »
foul in front of the goal :-)  the red cable stopped the fan -> overheat -> junk ..

restoration.

GX5000Mod, Metrix.

Since I've seen the innards of Vince's unit I just don't believe these are a Metrix design. The PCB style, numbering, the hybrid modules, the display... Absolutely nothing smells Metrix in there, I spent several hours searching who the OEM could be back then, still no F'in clue !
Did the Japanese manufacturers have anything similar in the day ?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #136513 on: July 25, 2024, 05:31:07 am »

restoration.

GX5000Mod, Metrix.

Since I've seen the innards of Vince's unit I just don't believe these are a Metrix design. The PCB style, numbering, the hybrid modules, the display... Absolutely nothing smells Metrix in there, I spent several hours searching who the OEM could be back then, still no F'in clue !

Looks a bit Grundig to me...   :-//
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136514 on: July 25, 2024, 06:12:13 am »

restoration.

GX5000Mod, Metrix.

Yes, Metrix did not make that one. When I asked them for the service manual they said sorry, our engineers do remember this instrument but there is no trace of it whatsoever in their archives.
Then a friend of mine, a retired electronic engineer, knew an engineer that used to work at Metrix, and he confirmed that the GX5000 was outsourced 100%

Then if you search you can find that SEFRAM used to sell the same instrument, rebadged "4450".

A chap from TEA ran the "ID" command on his Metrix GX5000 and it identified itself as being made by "OR-X".

If you search for that, you can find they sold the instrument under model number 550 or FP550 and you can find a service manual for it on Ebay :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250398397296

I would buy it if it didn't cost 100 bucks shipped, plus VAT and customs and handling fees from the courrier probably.

MODS : other than the fan, I would also look after the big flat metal can near the output. It's the final amplifier I believe.
My GX5000 used to, after an hour of use or so, to display garbage on the display then freeze completely.
Adding a low profile heatsink to that can, using thermal glue, fixed the problem.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, duckduck

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #136515 on: July 25, 2024, 06:54:22 am »

restoration.

GX5000Mod, Metrix.

Got a few duds here  >:( Not impressed.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136516 on: July 25, 2024, 07:10:52 am »
I don't have one of these but maybe there are enough owners to pool some funds and persuade a US member to buy and scan the manual. The scanner could also sell additional PDF copys.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136517 on: July 25, 2024, 09:39:17 am »
Then if you search you can find that SEFRAM used to sell the same instrument, rebadged "4450".

I've yet to see something actually made by Sefram, I've seen them rebrand Prema, APPA, Kenwood...

A chap from TEA ran the "ID" command on his Metrix GX5000 and it identified itself as being made by "OR-X".
אור-אקס בע~מ (Or-X LTD)
https://rocketreach.co/or-x-profile_b7382f46c7e30a6b

Their website is down, that could mean they've given up by now, (besides they did medical equipment and seem to share the same building with GE Healthcare) apparently they never sold much in their own name.

Some Stanford Research Systems equipment has similar looking front panels.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136518 on: July 25, 2024, 07:15:59 pm »
I don't have one of these but maybe there are enough owners to pool some funds and persuade a US member to buy and scan the manual. The scanner could also sell additional PDF copys.

Or persuade the seller to use something other than Priority Rip-Off International™, such as First Class International; https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/DMM300/Notice123.pdf

David

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136519 on: July 26, 2024, 07:25:03 am »
Bought an old catalog. Unfortunately there was some older water damage, but a neat read. Pages are well preserved.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, duckduck

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136520 on: July 26, 2024, 08:46:16 am »
Got a few duds here  >:( Not impressed.

Are you selling them for pocket change?

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136521 on: July 26, 2024, 12:02:39 pm »

8)

I can touch the ceiling in most of the rooms.    There is one where I can't stand up in.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136522 on: July 26, 2024, 12:21:01 pm »
Ah yes, a classic UK house with slate tiled roof. I knocked my head often enough against ceilings in those to see your point. :-//

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136523 on: July 26, 2024, 07:37:50 pm »
Ah yes, a classic UK house with slate tiled roof. I knocked my head often enough against ceilings in those to see your point. :-//

I am 5'3"/1.57m.

I remember looking at one house where I had to duck when going between rooms.

I have a relative who has to duck and avoid pendant light fittings in every house.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136524 on: July 26, 2024, 07:40:17 pm »
Bought an old catalog. Unfortunately there was some older water damage, but a neat read. Pages are well preserved.

Snap! I've just done exactly the same, also with a 1907 catalogue.

My catalogue consists of stereoscopic pictures of human components, e.g. larynx, spine, knee, etc, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf