Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16913312 times)

factory, Vgkid and 97 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131125 on: September 13, 2022, 10:46:46 am »
Bad luck overall, someone stole a piece of triax cable that I was bidding on  >:(
t
Which one? The 12m or the 17m one?  ;D
No, it wasn't me, I just had them on my watchlist but did not bid on them.

I have exactly ONE TE that has a triax port, one, and I'm struggling for years to get a miserable piece of cable with a connector for a fixture, so I can use it, without having to sell my any arms, legs or kidneys.
I'll most likely kick the TE out than struggle for a friggin cable  :scared:

Two or 3 lug  connector? If 3 I can sort you out a bit of triax with a plug on the end.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131126 on: September 13, 2022, 11:15:24 am »
Sorry for the OffTopic - TERRA Operative, what is your opinion on the Hozan brand for ESD Tweezers?

I've been looking for a good set of tweezers, but don't know anything about this brand. Another one I have in the eye is the GOOT ones, but I know something about them because I use their solder braid. But the only ones I get from them are the normal Stainless Steel ones, I don't know if they have a ESD variant.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131127 on: September 13, 2022, 01:10:13 pm »
Not exactly a TE, but also no pinball or wooden table:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/psion-3mx-2mb-voll-funktionsfaehig/2209785813-168-6765

RESERVED BY SOMEBODY, so practically gone !!!
Cheers,
DC1MC

I have a 3mx and 5mx. The 5 is much more useful today as far as features are concerned.

McBryce.

Well, it seems that someone liked enough to use it to produce audible dial tones and IR waves :-DD, actually it looked really good for the price, I still wait for a nice cheap Libretto.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131128 on: September 13, 2022, 01:15:34 pm »

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/psion-3mx-2mb-voll-funktionsfaehig/2209785813-168-6765

RESERVED BY SOMEBODY, so practically gone !!!
Cheers,
DC1MC

I have a 3mx and 5mx. The 5 is much more useful today as far as features are concerned.

McBryce.

Well, it seems that someone liked enough to use it to produce audible dial tones and IR waves :-DD, actually it looked really good for the price, I still wait for a nice cheap Libretto.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Back in the day, I linked (via IR) to my Sony Ericsson phone to download and send e-mails, including attachments created using the built in Word and Excel programs and also had my calender etc all on a device that ran for many days on two AA batteries!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131129 on: September 13, 2022, 01:35:21 pm »
If someone DOES want a fully specked Libretto to use it with his GPIB PCMCIA card, here's the cheapest German one (I'n not willing to pay more than 100-150 for nostalgia):

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/libretto-50-ct-pa1249e-mit-umfangreichen-zubehoer/1722409952-278-4941

The other sellers want demented exaggerated price of 500+ EUR  :scared:

BTW, I have some Siemens Simatic M3 in good condition except battery (I7 or 5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD and a lot of Ethernet, Profibus, PCMCIA and serial ports) does anyone have  a use for such HEAVY magnesium bests or I should scrap them ?
I any use please PM me with some offers to make my cat happy, prepare for large shipping costs tough.

Cheers,
DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: Vince, DH7DN

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131130 on: September 13, 2022, 01:38:32 pm »
Sorry for the OffTopic - TERRA Operative, what is your opinion on the Hozan brand for ESD Tweezers?

I've been looking for a good set of tweezers, but don't know anything about this brand. Another one I have in the eye is the GOOT ones, but I know something about them because I use their solder braid. But the only ones I get from them are the normal Stainless Steel ones, I don't know if they have a ESD variant.

Hozan are better than Goot. But my go-to tweezers at the moment are Eiger Tool EP-1 (just because that's what I happened to buy at the time) and Engineer PT-25.
The PT-25 are fantastic (but apparently discontinued now, :( Should be able to buy them from somewhere though), they are shaped at the end to allow you to pick up SMD parts with a 'pinching' action, and due to the circular cutout to make the shape, are also perfect for securely gripping circular components like diodes and resistors. I also use them a lot to grab the legs of components to more easily pull them when desoldering. Much less slipping off the component leg than normal tweezers when pulling when you can hook around the leg.

https://www.eigertool.com/product/hobby/catch/003_non-magnetic-tweezers.html

Also, if you can, get a set of Engineer NZ-05 SMD nippers. These things are fantastic. I use them more than any other cutters. They are designed for snipping SMD components off the PCB, but with such a small cutting blade, they make cutting small things with precision a cinch, especially in tight areas.

https://www.engineertools-jp.com/nz0305
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131131 on: September 13, 2022, 01:40:31 pm »
If someone DOES want a fully specked Libretto to use it with his GPIB PCMCIA card, here's the cheapest German one (I'n not willing to pay more than 100-150 for nostalgia):

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/libretto-50-ct-pa1249e-mit-umfangreichen-zubehoer/1722409952-278-4941

The other sellers want demented exaggerated price of 500+ EUR  :scared:

BTW, I have some Siemens Simatic M3 in good condition except battery (I7 or 5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD and a lot of Ethernet, Profibus, PCMCIA and serial ports) does anyone have  a use for such HEAVY magnesium bests or I should scrap them ?
I any use please PM me with some offers to make my cat happy, prepare for large shipping costs tough.

Cheers,
DC1MC

I would love to get my hands on a laptop with a dock that has an ISA slot, to use a NI GPIB-PCII/IIA card with my TDS scopes, without needing an entire desktop PC..

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131132 on: September 13, 2022, 01:52:48 pm »
I would love to get my hands on a laptop with a dock that has an ISA slot, to use a NI GPIB-PCII/IIA card with my TDS scopes, without needing an entire desktop PC..

1. Thinkpad 350/360/750/755/760 series with either Dock I www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_I_(3545) or Dock II www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_II_(3546) (1 ISA and 2 ISA respectively)

2. Thinkpad 600/770 series with Selectadock I http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/SelectaDock_I (1 ISA), Selectadock II http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/SelectaDock_II or Selectadock III http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/SelectaDock_III (2 ISA).

3) Toshiba T6600C, T3200

4) HP OmniBook 800 CT Docking Station

Modern stuff:

http://arstech.com/install/ecom-prodshow/usb2isa.html

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131133 on: September 13, 2022, 02:06:03 pm »
Thanks for the list. :)

That USB to ISA would be nice, if it could work in a native DOS environment. :D

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131134 on: September 13, 2022, 02:23:07 pm »
Thanks for the list. :)

That USB to ISA would be nice, if it could work in a native DOS environment. :D

Oooor, if you mister big money, you can get this wonder of German (with strong Japanese connections) engineering:

https://acceed.com/de/product/buf-cardpcp/

From the data sheet:

• PCMCIA design allows use with any PC/AT compatible notebook.
  • Ideal solution for using laptops in laboratory & factory application.
  • PCMCIA to AT/ISA bus expansion system for DOS and Win95 (I dare to say Win98 as well)

I can provide the laptop  :-DD

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131135 on: September 13, 2022, 02:48:27 pm »
Hozan are better than Goot. But my go-to tweezers at the moment are Eiger Tool EP-1 (just because that's what I happened to buy at the time) and Engineer PT-25.
The PT-25 are fantastic (but apparently discontinued now, :( Should be able to buy them from somewhere though), they are shaped at the end to allow you to pick up SMD parts with a 'pinching' action, and due to the circular cutout to make the shape, are also perfect for securely gripping circular components like diodes and resistors. I also use them a lot to grab the legs of components to more easily pull them when desoldering. Much less slipping off the component leg than normal tweezers when pulling when you can hook around the leg.

https://www.eigertool.com/product/hobby/catch/003_non-magnetic-tweezers.html

Also, if you can, get a set of Engineer NZ-05 SMD nippers. These things are fantastic. I use them more than any other cutters. They are designed for snipping SMD components off the PCB, but with such a small cutting blade, they make cutting small things with precision a cinch, especially in tight areas.

https://www.engineertools-jp.com/nz0305

Yes I have the solder sucker from Engineer, probably the only manual one I will need for the rest of my life. Didn't know that SMD Nippers, at least the sellers I get here don't have it in stock. Same as the PT-25.

Need to see if I can find the Eiger Tool around here.

If not I will get the Hozan ones. Thank you for the help.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #131136 on: September 13, 2022, 03:10:39 pm »

Cheers,
DC1MC

I like the modern Enigma (as sold by Helmut Singer) more than this one.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:13:40 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131137 on: September 13, 2022, 03:32:17 pm »

Cheers,
DC1MC
With the S7 software?

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131138 on: September 13, 2022, 03:36:29 pm »

Cheers,
DC1MC
With the S7 software?

Completely devoid of any software and with the HDD securely wiped, I did  install Ubuntu and the windozian OD for testing and it works, but nothing remains from the original SW.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131139 on: September 13, 2022, 05:29:04 pm »
Well yay!

The backplane connectors in my Tek AFG5101 Arb Func Gen are obsolete if I directly Google the part numbers on the connectors themselves.
After poking around a bit, searching here and there, it turns out they are actually DIN41612 or Eurocard connectors! Cheap and easy to get from the usual places. Sweeeeet. :D

So, making extender cables to allow me to move the outer cards out of the way to let me tweak the adjustments on the inner cards as required in the adjustment procedure will now be a cinch.

Also, that's one less part to figure out for my reproduction Option 02 card. Just gotta find someone who has this option so I can get some other part numbers too..... Fk'n Tek had just started getting lazy and slimming down the component level info in their service manuals when they made this one....

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131140 on: September 13, 2022, 06:43:34 pm »
Been poking at things again this weekend.

Replaced the capacitors in the PSU in my TDS220 scope, noticeably less noise on the trace with no signal now.

Also, had a go at one of my FG504 20MHz Function Generators. It isn't turning on, and I found it had a popped C122B1 SCR in the +25V PSU board. Thanks Peak DCA75 component tester! :D
The parts list in the manual says 2N4441 for this part, but it looks like they are both obsolete of course, but I found I can get an 8P4SMA part from Akihabara that looks like it's a close enough match to work.
Apparently I might have 2N4442 (slightly higher voltage rating) if that helps.

David

If you can scrounge up two you could send all the way east (both my FG504's have popped the same part..) I love you long time with some Paypal action. :D

Any idea why they both failed the same way? the thyristors are part of the OVP crowbar circuits.

The good news is I have six parts labelled 2N4442, bad news is Mr Peak doesn't recognise any of them, according to the datasheet on the web, the gate trigger current is typically 7mA, the DCA75 should be able to check between 8mA & 12mA, no idea why it doesn't like them.  :-// The parts look suspicious, the leads are tinned (mostly) & the part number area has been resurfaced, could they be relabelled used parts?

David

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131141 on: September 13, 2022, 07:15:17 pm »
Look what me just bought !

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/2219614849.htm

Another piece in my old Tek scope museum / puzzle....

I wanted a 7000 series scope in my collection, but only rack mount, as I don't like them in bench top form factor.
Well even in "portrait" guise, they are rare over here, and overpriced as everything..... so last Sunday when I spotted this rack mount one, complete, dirty but in good nick, for only 50 Euros.... there was no time or any room for hesitation, no such luxury as wasting valuable time asking questions or pics or proof of workiness, and risk losing the deal... nope. You have to act quick. In my case I was lucky and saw the ad only 1h30 minutes after it got posted. I immediately sent a message to the guy : "can you / are willing to pack it to ship it ? ". Because of course the ad said nothing about shipping and with an old boat anchor you can only assume it's NO ! Here, some people even refuse to ship a freaking handheld DMM believe it or not ! :scared:

To my surprise he said yeah no worries I can ship !

So deal done for 50 Euros + 21.50 Euros shipping !

He packed it today, I will send him his check in the post tomorrow.... he refused Paypal, saying he got problems with that.

As you can see, the ad doesn't say much ! Just one pic of the front, one of the back, well two but they are similar.

As for the description, it just says "scope in excellent condition ", which really doesn't mean much more than " it's not been run over by a tank ", which is always nice to see, but doesn't say squat about its condition inside, never mind if it works or not, and how well.

But again... rare and cheap this one, so you buy first, and worry about the details later.... in that order.

Ad doesn't even state the brand and model or anything, as you can see....

So had to download the pics and zoom on them to try to see the front panel better.... with almost no success as the pic is really too compressed.
However it looks like the model number could be " 7603 ".

Which is nice.... I like this model, with its extra large CRT like my rack mount type 5111 has too.
100MHz woohoo.... 100 times more than my 5111.
Has a delayed time base as well, another  big plus over the 5111...

I looked it up in Tekwiki https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7603 and apparently to my surprise, even though the 7603 is so old and bottom of the line, it none the less DOES have readouts ?!  :o  I so wanted that  !!!  :D :D :D :D :D

Wiki says the 7603 'N' version does not have readouts... but looking at the crappy pic, it looks like it's not an 'N', so it should have the readouts !   8)

I am so happy.... for only 50 Euros, well 71.50 shipped, I got myself a lot of joy and happiness, and probably months and months of trouble-shooting and fixing the thing....

The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed a problem.... that scope has 3 bays, so first two for vertical amps, third/last for the time base. But this scope somehow has TWO time bases, and only one vertical amp ! I know squat at this point about the 7000 series, but I guess the main frame and plug-ins are not protected against such gross mistakes, so I expect the mis-located time base plug in, and/or the main frame, to have suffered damage, which will probably be a nightmare to troubleshoot and repair, if at all possible.

Seller is an old retired guy who knows squat about scopes. He bought  if for his son who used to use it... but said son moved abroad and left his scope behind, so the old man is trying to get rid of it now, and reclaim the space....

Can't wait to receive it to see just how sick, defective, beyond repair it is exactly, share all the gory details of my misfortune with you all, and hope for some moral support !   :-DD

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 03:39:06 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, capt bullshot, wolfy007, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, syau, Zoli, m k, Peter_O, DH7DN

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131142 on: September 13, 2022, 07:19:26 pm »
[I have exactly ONE TE that has a triax port, one, and I'm struggling for years to get a miserable piece of cable with a connector for a fixture, so I can use it, without having to sell my any arms, legs or kidneys.

Two or 3 lug  connector? If 3 I can sort you out a bit of triax with a plug on the end.

It's an Advantest R8340 and it has a tri-lug connector, so this is it, it may need to withstand some higher voltage, but not exaggerated (550V I think).
Advnatest call the cable A01018 or something.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131143 on: September 13, 2022, 07:23:16 pm »
However it looks like the model number could be " 7103 ".

100M?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131144 on: September 13, 2022, 07:34:31 pm »
If you mean 100 MHz then yes as I wrote above, according to TekWiki, 100 MHz it is...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:54:29 pm by Vince »

Offline Henrik_V

• Regular Contributor
  • “ground” is a convenient fantasy
« Reply #131145 on: September 13, 2022, 08:52:02 pm »
"ground” is a convenient fantasy

One pic from last weekend at the Maker Faire in Hannover ...  Pic is from my dear fellow Denis
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

The number you have dialed is imaginary, please turn your phone 90° and dial again!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, DH7DN, 005

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131146 on: September 13, 2022, 08:53:14 pm »
[I have exactly ONE TE that has a triax port, one, and I'm struggling for years to get a miserable piece of cable with a connector for a fixture, so I can use it, without having to sell my any arms, legs or kidneys.

It's an Advantest R8340 and it has a tri-lug connector, so this is it, it may need to withstand some higher voltage, but not exaggerated (550V I think).
Advnatest call the cable A01018 or something.

Cheers,
DC1MC

That I can do. Probably do you one with PTFE / Fep insultation for HV and one with thinner PVC for flexibility.  I just hve to chech how far back in the second garage the cable is. Connectors are to hand.  PM me.

Robert.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131147 on: September 13, 2022, 09:00:27 pm »
TTI / Thurlby Thandar came through on the TG1034 function generator.
Got an email with both operating and service manuals this afternoon. Turns out the rotary control is working OK. Use is not intuitive though. You have to press the Deldts buton and the the parameter button for the parameter you want to adjust.
Easy once you know how. Nice little generator, it will be my main one, well two actually as it hs two generators in one box.
Anyone want a Wavetek 274?

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #131148 on: September 13, 2022, 09:27:30 pm »
The time-base plug-in in a vertical slot shouldn't cause any trouble. The 7000 series is very versatile and some people use this configuration with a time-base in vertical slot to generate rasters for television display purposes

In refurbishing any 7000 series scope you should pay particular attention to any tantalum bead capacitors, which are used fairly extensively in these models. Tektronix at the time did not derate their operating voltage and consequently they have a strong tendency to suddenly fail short and cause damage to surrounding circuitry. Any wet tantalum capacitors (in the silver cylindrical cases) are generally safe from sudden shorts but they occasionally leak their acid electrolyte causing extensive damage to PCBs

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131149 on: September 14, 2022, 12:38:20 am »
Been poking at things again this weekend.

Replaced the capacitors in the PSU in my TDS220 scope, noticeably less noise on the trace with no signal now.

Also, had a go at one of my FG504 20MHz Function Generators. It isn't turning on, and I found it had a popped C122B1 SCR in the +25V PSU board. Thanks Peak DCA75 component tester! :D
The parts list in the manual says 2N4441 for this part, but it looks like they are both obsolete of course, but I found I can get an 8P4SMA part from Akihabara that looks like it's a close enough match to work.
Apparently I might have 2N4442 (slightly higher voltage rating) if that helps.

David

If you can scrounge up two you could send all the way east (both my FG504's have popped the same part..) I love you long time with some Paypal action. :D

Any idea why they both failed the same way? the thyristors are part of the OVP crowbar circuits.

The good news is I have six parts labelled 2N4442, bad news is Mr Peak doesn't recognise any of them, according to the datasheet on the web, the gate trigger current is typically 7mA, the DCA75 should be able to check between 8mA & 12mA, no idea why it doesn't like them.  :-// The parts look suspicious, the leads are tinned (mostly) & the part number area has been resurfaced, could they be relabelled used parts?

David

So here's a weird thing... My DCA75 also can't figure out the 2N4441's from the older FG504 here either. Just says 'no component detected' like yours.
BUT, of the C122B1 SCR's used in my later FG504 instead of the 2N4441's, it says one is ok, but the other is bad.

Both power supply PCB's exhibit the same faults, so I assumed the 2N4441 in the older PSU that is in the same location as the bad C122B1 in the newer PSU must be bad, seeing as the DCA75 said nope. But from your measurements, it might not be that simple...

My Chinese T4 tester roughly agrees with the DCA75, saying both 2N4441's are resistors, the bad C122B1 is a resistor and the good C122B1 is a transistor (close enough).

Hmmm, I wonder if we just have all bad 2N444x's between us (unlikely) or maybe I need to go buy a Peak SCR100 SCR/Triac tester when I get paid next?..... :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf