Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16483337 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #130550 on: August 22, 2022, 02:35:28 pm »
I remember a professor at Imperial College, who also did some industrial design gigs at an art and design college.

He pointed out that if you asked them to design an egg, they would all create something which was the right size and shape. Better designers' eggs would have the right coloration. The best designers' eggs would have the right weight. None of them would have anything inside.

Typical industrial designer's attitude. They always leave it up to the long-suffering engineer to figure out a way to fit the contents into the "beautiful", but too small, enclosure that they designed.

The engineer is never, ever allowed to make modifications to the enclosure to make it more functional or easier to manufacture as that would destroy the "purity" of the designer's concept.

Very few "design concepts" ever get anywhere near being implemented. Seeing those words is a useful filter causing me to ignore the article and flip to the next article.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #130551 on: August 22, 2022, 02:37:51 pm »
Today must be "1st World Engineer Bitch Day". I know why I'm not on that memo distribution.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130552 on: August 22, 2022, 02:42:23 pm »
Today must be "1st World Engineer Bitch Day". I know why I'm not on that memo distribution.  :P :-DD

Because you live in the 3rd world  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #130553 on: August 22, 2022, 02:43:07 pm »
I remember a professor at Imperial College, who also did some industrial design gigs at an art and design college.

He pointed out that if you asked them to design an egg, they would all create something which was the right size and shape. Better designers' eggs would have the right coloration. The best designers' eggs would have the right weight. None of them would have anything inside.

Typical industrial designer's attitude. They always leave it up to the long-suffering engineer to figure out a way to fit the contents into the "beautiful", but too small, enclosure that they designed.

The engineer is never, ever allowed to make modifications to the enclosure to make it more functional or easier to manufacture as that would destroy the "purity" of the designer's concept.

Very few "design concepts" ever get anywhere near being implemented. Seeing those words is a useful filter causing me to ignore the article and flip to the next article.

There is only one true design concept: Form follows function!
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130554 on: August 22, 2022, 03:03:41 pm »

I'll feed my belly before I feed my eye :)

That's just the old engineers' canard about design being just about appearances. It isn't. Good design includes ergonomics, suitability to task, and also appearances.

It's a bit like picking a partner. Sure, a pleasing appearance is nice to have, but having a good heart and temperament, and being nice to hold is more important, and great cooking is a plus. But great cooking with a face like a bag of spanners, the temperament of a rattlesnake with a hangover, and the tactile qualities of a leather bag of oobleck is what you'd get if the design task is left to most engineers.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130555 on: August 22, 2022, 03:10:08 pm »

Hey, at least he's only near to Jersey, not in it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #130556 on: August 22, 2022, 03:26:21 pm »

Hey, at least he's only near to Jersey, not in it.

But I did have to go to Jersey to pick up the 2235. I barely escaped.  :o ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130557 on: August 22, 2022, 03:28:39 pm »

Amazing to realise that the Bauhaus philosophy is now into its second century of indicating what is good, right, and proper!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130558 on: August 22, 2022, 03:30:48 pm »

That's just the old engineers' canard about design being just about appearances. It isn't. Good design includes ergonomics, suitability to task, and also appearances.

It's a bit like picking a partner. Sure, a pleasing appearance is nice to have, but having a good heart and temperament, and being nice to hold is more important, and great cooking is a plus. But great cooking with a face like a bag of spanners, the temperament of a rattlesnake with a hangover, and the tactile qualities of a leather bag of oobleck is what you'd get if the design task is left to most engineers.

Not always. Modern gliders are the sexiest things in the air. Ditto racing eights on the water.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #130559 on: August 22, 2022, 03:34:53 pm »

https://apps.apple.com/app/aliens-motion-tracker/id832823029
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joesdomain.motiontracker

Tripped over this vid by accident the other day... thought it was an amusing diversion.  ;) App links are above; cost a buck or two.

mnem
yes, I am a total SciFi nerd.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130560 on: August 22, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »

That's idiomatic in a purely mechanical world. It's always going to be true of a good spanner, and the inverse "form indicates function" is a natural consequence.

But that all rather falls flat on its face when faced with our favourite subject, test gear. The function of a frequency counter is a mile away from a signal generator, or scope, or SA, or measurement receiver, etc., but they all end up as rectilinear boxes of roughly the same order of magnitude and highly similar appearance. Indeed it's often necessary to understand the language that the scales and controls are labelled in to understand the function of such a device.

So it would appear that there has to exist more than "one true design concept".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130561 on: August 22, 2022, 03:39:18 pm »

Not always. Modern gliders are the sexiest things in the air. Ditto racing eights on the water.

Designed by physics, thus nature, not by engineers.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130562 on: August 22, 2022, 03:40:47 pm »
<snip>

I managed to muddle through 3 generations of Eagle. Do I stand a chance of surviving Christian's tutorial...?    :-DD

mnemories:
I remember my grand-dad's F-150 after putting the 500 Caddy/TH400 in... I hadn't finished boxing in the shifter and crap, so when I first drove it I sat on a 5-gallon bucket and almost killed myself when it tipped over. Then my best buddy Drucker hadda drive it... he came back with a big ol' shite-eating grin: "That thing is siiiick!"
Oh crap, have I inadvertently landed Christian into doing a tutorial now, oops sorry Christian, I didn't mean to do that, honest.  :o
Let's do a hang out on Discord with screen sharing when you're ready, it'll be fine  :-+
I'm in!

Maybe if we gang up on LT-Spice, we can beat it into submission...?   

mnem
"nope. we're still outnumbered." ~mom
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130563 on: August 22, 2022, 03:44:56 pm »

Tripped over this vid by accident the other day... thought it was an amusing diversion.  ;) App links are above; cost a buck or two.

mnem

It'd be more fun, and more practical, if it actually detected something. Perhaps different coloured blobs for "Ham Hobo", "5G nutter", "someone who's about to spend 30 minutes telling you that they're a Vegan", "likely to bitch for an hour if you use the wrong pronoun" and so on.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130564 on: August 22, 2022, 03:45:14 pm »

Sad, but true.

mnem
c'mon med, we better go... before the roving packs of hyenas catch up widduss... :o

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130565 on: August 22, 2022, 03:59:59 pm »

mnem

It'd be more fun, and more practical, if it actually detected something. Perhaps different coloured blobs for "Ham Hobo", "5G nutter", "someone who's about to spend 30 minutes telling you that they're a Vegan", "likely to bitch for an hour if you use the wrong pronoun" and so on.

I know someone who ticks all those boxes  :scared:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130566 on: August 22, 2022, 04:15:04 pm »

That's not "needs an app" that's "needs official broadcasts to avoid the area" territory. :scared:

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130567 on: August 22, 2022, 04:19:20 pm »
And, as is custom, I'm presenting the Page Instrument:   

Some history: This is my first vintage TE.  It came to me, working, as a gift when I worked at the Royal Institute of Technology. I ran it with various inputs as a display, which through "being-left-on" cooked its PSU  :palm: ,  and made me repair it.

This then turned out to be my first TE repair, where one gets a badly scanned manual and finds new parts; IIRC a resistor that had gone O/C and a broken cap.  It's got the dreaded PH-163 input connector, and the 50Hz option. Which is good because: It uses, IIRC, the mains frequency as time base, and is as accurate as one can ask.

Bonus question: What are its neighbours? I've cropped the pic, but there are enough clues.

On the left HP 432A on the right HP 427A

100% correct.

Robert, please take this as the compliment it's intended... but you are one scary motherfucker sometimes.  :-DD

mnem
 :-+

I'm good at spotting stuff at hamfests too  8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130568 on: August 22, 2022, 04:19:46 pm »

That's not "needs an app" that's "needs official broadcasts to avoid the area" territory. :scared:

They are very active on instagram so I know where to avoid them  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130569 on: August 22, 2022, 04:20:41 pm »
And, as is custom, I'm presenting the Page Instrument:   

Some history: This is my first vintage TE.  It came to me, working, as a gift when I worked at the Royal Institute of Technology. I ran it with various inputs as a display, which through "being-left-on" cooked its PSU  :palm: ,  and made me repair it.

This then turned out to be my first TE repair, where one gets a badly scanned manual and finds new parts; IIRC a resistor that had gone O/C and a broken cap.  It's got the dreaded PH-163 input connector, and the 50Hz option. Which is good because: It uses, IIRC, the mains frequency as time base, and is as accurate as one can ask.

Bonus question: What are its neighbours? I've cropped the pic, but there are enough clues.

On the left HP 432A on the right HP 427A

100% correct.

Robert, please take this as the compliment it's intended... but you are one scary motherfucker sometimes.  :-DD

mnem
 :-+

I'm good at spotting stuff at hamfests too  8)

After that car load you showed me I would be inclined to agree  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130570 on: August 22, 2022, 04:25:30 pm »

While a lot of what you say is true, but when it comes to servicing things like TE, cars etc it is also true that they are easier to service if designed by an engineer because they appreciate the need for easy access to the parts that need to be accessed?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130571 on: August 22, 2022, 04:30:15 pm »

mnem
When I worked as a mechanic, I would swear that automotive engineers hated us fixers... Many times I imagined them standing around the water cooler showing off their latest blueprints: "No, you see there? If we'd put that one bolt in the hinge half a inch further that way, you'd be able to get a wrench on it. This way, you have to take the fender off before you can take the door off.  MUAHAHAHAHA!!!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 04:36:23 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, srb1954

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130572 on: August 22, 2022, 04:32:01 pm »
Lol indeed. Tek 4xx HT transformers for example  |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130573 on: August 22, 2022, 04:32:28 pm »

mnem

I could have used such an app last Saturday, if it could warn me about nerds who can jaw the hind leg of a donkey about nothing in particular of interest and a bullshitter of a name-dropper in the bargain  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130574 on: August 22, 2022, 04:37:54 pm »
Wait, what...? I didn't see you in the Discord on Saturday...

mnem
 :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf